Post-Game Talk: Too Little Too Late: Jets 3, Preds 5

cdem72

Oct 27, 2017
Top two lines were very bad last night. Is something ailing Wheeler? He can't seem to make or accept a pass on his stick, and the puck is constantly sliping off his stick. Laine may be fast with those deceptive long slow strides, but he was really floating around out there. You can't coast to beat a guy to the puck, and that chip clearing play constantly gives away the puck. Coach should increase the playing time of the bottom six, at least they are hustling and creating chances.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Are you saying that because the aforementioned players play in the NHL, there is no chance that they didn't see Laine wide open on those plays?
Take Ehlers for example – he is a very, very skilled hockey player. He also tends to have tunnelvision when he's running around like a roadrunner.

I have watched every single Jets game this season and sadly I am not surprised that Laine didn't receive a pass on those plays. Those are not necessarily easy passes to make, but that is what separates an average playmaker from a good one.

It is not on Laine to lower himself to the lesser players level on those plays. 50 goal scorers have, without exemption, a really good playmaker on their line.
Laine does not have this when playing Little or Lowry and therefore he will probably not hit 50g unless he gets to play with Scheifele, who is the only elite playmaker on this team.

That is a fair statement. My point was obviously Laine was not "wide open" for easy goals like what was stated earlier and has been a few times the past few game by people here. If he was that wide open 6-8 times in one game, he would get some of those passes from Ehlers, Little, Myers, Lowry like stated. Yes none of them are elite playmakers, but like you said those arn't easy passes to make aka he was not that wide open. Those guys can pass, they can't make no look thread the needle passes like maybe 10-15 players in the NHL can. The elite playmakers. My main point is just cause he looks wide open on TV it is a competely different beast at ice level in the NHL. He needs to move his feet to find open ice. As a goal scorer you can't rely on guys to thread the needle for super difficult passes as you said that only elite playmakers can make. You need to get to open ice. Little as rough as he has been is usually good for 30-35 assists a year roughly in a full 82 games. And even in this awful year he is still on pace for 25 assists. It's not like Laine is playing with beer league players

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Top two lines were very bad last night. Is something ailing Wheeler? He can't seem to make or accept a pass on his stick, and the puck is constantly sliping off his stick. Laine may be fast with those deceptive long slow strides, but he was really floating around out there. You can't coast to beat a guy to the puck, and that chip clearing play constantly gives away the puck. Coach should increase the playing time of the bottom six, at least they are hustling and creating chances.

Lots of guys floating last night. Laine, Scheifele come to mind. Ehlers wasn't floating around but made bad decisions. Trouba was absolutly awful. He simply got outworked and didn't want it bad enough on 2 goals against. He shyed away from a hit and let a guy take a puck on one goal. Not a great effort from the top guys. Now im willing to give Maurices new lines a try, but I am hoping they change up all the lines including the 1st. I will be MAD if they roll out back with ELL next game like it never happened

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I'm not super mad about the game, we were going to lose one eventually. I think I'm always just kind of disappointed in how we lose, we need to stop flushing entire periods down the toilet. But, the Perds had their crap together and played a tight, physical game. And we need to stay out of the box.

More important though is how we pull our socks up and get back to the task at hand which is the road trip. We still have points to win.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not even upset. That was a good game to remind the Jets that Hockey is a contact sport. That's what it will be like in the playoffs, boys. Hendricks is a gamer for dropping the gloves, but looked like a fool in his execution. And it didn't exactly do anything to stop the Preds from pasting Jets every chance they got. At least some of our bigger guys became more physical as the game went on. Some pretty stupid bloopers by Troubs and Nickels - there are two goals right there. And then add the penalties and that's the game.

The team, especially Ehlers, looked like he was suffering from PTSD from the shock and awe of yellow jerseys body checking Jet players left and right. It took until the third period for the team to start skating. Of course by then the Preds had backed off the hard forecheck and went into the 'let 'em Corsi the hell out of us' defensive shell.

Good wakeup game. On to the next one.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
How many icings did Chiarot have?

Didn't count but I think he had a decent sound check.

ApXyUnId_o.gif

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm not super mad about the game, we were going to lose one eventually. I think I'm always just kind of disappointed in how we lose, we need to stop flushing entire periods down the toilet. But, the Perds had their crap together and played a tight, physical game. And we need to stay out of the box.

More important though is how we pull our socks up and get back to the task at hand which is the road trip. We still have points to win.
Actually I am not upset.
The effort was certainly there.
I only lose it when they have games like they did against Columbus here.
No harm on letting Mason getting a start or two

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maurice's assessment on their gap was bang on, it was off all night. Probably the biggest difference between this game vs the two Dallas games, in addition to getting burned on the PK.

The Jets weren't outmuscled , they just weren't executing quickly enough. I don't get the narrative that this team doesn't like physical play.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Rinne was arguably one of, if not their weakest player tonight. Thought he fought the puck and was out of position numerous times, especially on the Connor missed chance.

Good point, he was twisting and flailing on a bunch of chances. Very lucky on a few shots where he seemed to have no idea where the puck was.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe now, some people will realize that the Jets haven't been winning the corsi battle, because they've been in the lead for like 70% of all hockey played this season.

They can turn it on like any other team as we saw in the 3rd, but teams with the lead are never going to play like that when it opens them up so much defensively.
The Jets haven't been in the lead for 70% of all hockey played this season. Nearly 60% of their minutes have been tied or trailing and they are near league-worst in Corsi there too.

At 5v5 the Jets have led for 384:16 (42.1%).
They've been tied or trailing for 528:52 (57.9%).

In all situations the Jets have led for 521:34 (43.0%)
They've been tied or trailing for 690:17 (57.0%)

The Jets have the worst Corsi in the league when trailing in all situations (the only team < 50%). They're 4th worst at 5v5 when trailing.
The Jets have the 3rd worst Corsi in the league when tied in all situations. 9th worst 5v5 tied.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Beat THE KINGS!!! on to the next one.

4th Line Perrault!!! keep him there ;) he is ELITE on that 4th line
Yep, if it was up to me, I'd keep Perrault on the 4th line cause all of a sudden that line is producing. 3rd line for the most part fine. Switch Wheels & Connor to Little's line, and put the dynamic duo back with Schief & you have 4 dang good lines.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
My thoughts on the game:

- Speed of Nashville had Winnipeg on their heals and really impacted their breakouts.
- Gaps were absolutely off.
- Gotta clean up the penalties. Discipline could have seen that be a tie-game
- To quote SNL: "Coach said we were icing so much, we could open up a bakery." Interested to see if they insert Pool Party instead of Chiapet.
- Most importantly.... We HAVE to fix the 5v5 production for Laine Ehlers and Little. It's been 20 games and it's been brutal. Time to switch it up. At this point, I don't see any harm in having Ehlers Scheifele Laine, Wheeler Little Connor, Perreault Lowry Armia and Copp Hendricks Tanev.

Reactions: Halberdier and GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I didn't think they played as terrible as a lot of people are suggesting. Effort was there but they just didn't play well.

One of Ehlers worst games as a Jet. IMO three other players were just as bad but saw no consequences. I don't understand how that sends the right signal to the team...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I didn't think they played as terrible as a lot of people are suggesting. Effort was there but they just didn't play well.

One of Ehlers worst games as a Jet. IMO three other players were just as bad but saw no consequences. I don't understand how that sends the right signal to the team...

Yeep something is not right there.
That is not a good leadership from the coach.
He tends to have a short lease on some players and longer on some.

Good thing Jets are winning.
You got Your 2 best wingers who both scored 60+ points at very young age. Once is even a teenager and they are not being maximize.

At the end of the day these 2 will be front and center for the Jets team for the next 6-8 years.... good thing these 2 are nice kids.
Others will grumble and not be positive about it .. and then ask for a trade :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad