Post-Game Talk: Tony Hawk

3 Stars

• Total voters

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I normally prefer close games, because its more nail biting (fun). But, have to admit I kind of got off on last night. The "rarely seen rout". Doesn't happen often.
If it weren't against a team that only won one game in what,.... the last 14?... maybe it would have been more exciting. But it was definitely a welcome payback.

Gotta love when Trouba asked that Hawk who said he couldn't score to "go get the puck",.... he rifled into the net perhaps as a souvenir. LOL!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Laf has not shied from that in the past. I’d bet they didn’t even see what happened to Fil, why would they even be looking at Fil? Puck had been gone for a good second. They followed the puck which was net front.
I realize all that. I'm just trying to figure why Turk didn't throw them back on the ice after playing so darn well. They had 5 points combined in 5 minutes of icetime. They had like one shift each the rest of the period.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I realize all that. I'm just trying to figure why Turk didn't throw them back on the ice after playing so darn well. They had 5 points combined in 5 minutes of icetime. They had like one shift each the rest of the period.
Because he didn’t know how to mix up his lines to get them back out there more which is dumb but he wasn’t punishing them for not going after lafferty

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
What did they say? I was flipping to the Giants game during intermissions.
Basically the Rangers were lucky to be playing a bad team because their game was flawed and they really needed to step up their overall game if they wanted to be competitive in the future. This was after being up 5-1

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Well I'm not 15 or anywhere close to it, but this is a classic example of the guy is what he is. He's not a high upside, developmental player, a guy who you could look at like Kakko and say "Well he needs to have 4-5 years in the league first."

This guy is a banger and what you have seen in the league so far is all he will ever be.....
He is a banger. And with Reavo gone, we ill afford to lose more of that. I don't think you realize how important that is to a team. He has as many hits as Trouba does in half the icetime. And he is nowhere near close to being back to where he wants to be. Maybe he might be trade bait come the deadline, but his 1.6 off the books isn't going to make a world of difference. We have a shortage of bangers, and getting rid of him will only harm the team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Basically the Rangers were lucky to be playing a bad team because their game was flawed and they really needed to step up their overall game if they wanted to be competitive in the future. This was after being up 5-1
Rangers did play a lot of messy hockey and some real bad shifts but still

Also complaining about it after they just beat Toronto and NJ is silly

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Blais was "the" acquisition in that trade no matter what package he was a part of, because the only other asset that came back was a second round pick, and if I'm not mistaken that pick was flipped for Copp, a rental who is already gone.

And that acquisition was F- value. There is zero justification for that move. Buch could have fetched far more as a deadline rental. If that was the best offer, which it wasn't, by the way, then Drury should have held his cards.

It would be nice if this conversation could, in fact, be finally over, but the defenders keep repeating things to make the trade seem like it wasn't the disaster that it definitely was.
That makes him the REMAINING asset, not THE asset, aside from the cap space (along with Strome walking) used to sign Trocheck. It doesn’t change anything I said. It was three components for Buch. I’m not trying to argue it wasn’t a bad trade. That is irrelevant. Blais was NOT meant to play the role here that Buch played. He was never meant to be his replacement. Yet that colors about 80% of the criticism/evaluation I see of him on here.
Dude it would certainly be nice if this conversation was over, I agree, but it won’t be in our lifetimes. Even if Blais is gone next year this is going to be rehashed as long as this board exists. Hahahaha. If Subban hadn’t illegally, cheaply, wrecked Blais’ knee maybe we’d be having the conversation a little differently though.

Reactions: egelband

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Because he didn’t know how to mix up his lines to get them back out there more which is dumb but he wasn’t punishing them for not going after lafferty
Yeah, I think it’s likely what Levitate said.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Reading this thread should be entertaining. For a change.

Just seems every time Filip starts to find out just how dominant he can be.......he gets hurt and steps him back a ways.

All I know is he better be okay and get back soon. The Brodzinski affect is REAL, but it's really the Chytil affect that makes everyone around him better.
Even Laffy looked amazing, Kaapo accumulating massive confidence.
I was really hoping this would be Chytil's break out year. But now with two concussions on plays that you wouldn't think were so,... I don't know what the word is,... damaging?... My hopes are all but shot to hell.

Crosby has bounced back from a few of them, so maybe he can return and learn to avoid them?

But from what we know about concussions the past decade or so, and the lasting damage that can occur, this is serious business. He might be out for awhile.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hit was borderline late. I can't tell if it was high or not by the angle and I have a little more issue with that than whether or not it was a late hit. Chytil wasn't expecting it and was just watching the play. That's on him. On the other hand, there is no need to make that hit on a player who passed it across the rink.

To be fair if Trouba made that hit we'd all be creaming ourselves.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I didn't like the hit. Granted, it wasn't that bad upon second look. I do think it was late, but I don't think it was all that egregious, either. And I love Chytil. Guys get slammed around the net all the time, and it's what you want your d-man to do.

Lafferty is a bastard and all that, but if Lindgren or Trouba bodied someone in that position, I wouldn't think twice. If a rebound popped out Chytil's way, that's an easy tap in, so someone like Lafferty trying to prove his value to the team is going to make sure he takes him out of the play. Could Lafferty have tied him up? Sure. But if Chytil wasn't paying attention to Lafferty and was caught off-balance...

It sucks, but not much we can do about it either, other than analyze replays and hope Chytil is okay.

I also don't think Reaves deters a bump like that. If you go on Twitter, this is all a result of Reaves getting shipped out.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I'll part with a third or fourth or something for a depth defenseman. Of course really, Jones should just be here.

And I'll move Blais for picks and call up Rydahl/Cuylle/Othmann for the playoffs.

Not interested in trading firsts. At all.
I'm more than happy to get rid of Blais (even for a sixth rounder). The kids are untouchable unless it's a 23-year old (or younger) stud coming the other way ... but then why would any counterparty execute such a trade? First, seconds and early third rounders stay put. Othmann, Robertson, Cuylle (and probably others whose names escape me) are 100% off the table.

We need to start thinking about replacements for 93, 10 and 20. They'll still be good for a few years, but if we keep favoring vets and neglecting youth / the draft, we'll be in a hole for a long time.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm more than happy to get rid of Blais (even for a sixth rounder). The kids are untouchable unless it's a 23-year old (or younger) stud coming the other way ... but then why would any counterparty execute such a trade? First, seconds and early third rounders stay put. Othmann, Robertson, Cuylle (and probably others whose names escape me) are 100% off the table.

We need to start thinking about replacements for 93, 10 and 20. They'll still be good for a few years, but if we keep favoring vets and neglecting youth / the draft, we'll be in a hole for a long time.

I've been banging the "we don't have enough talented forwards in the system especially an elite center or two" drum for ages. I would have traded Kreider away at any opportunity to try to help acquire one, as well.

Zibanejad, unfortunately, we are locked into that contract till judgment day, so we need to hope and pray he's elite till age 36 or 37, but Kreider is moveable right this second if he'll waive, and Panarin only has 3 years left.

We have wings. Lafreniere, Kakko, Othmann, Kravtsov if we aren't stupid about how we handle him, even Chytil can play wing.

We need to hit a home run on some centers. Yeah Zibanejad will be here forever but that Trocheck deal won't see the end of 7 years in NY, bet on it.

Reactions: CasusBelli

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Adding Kane would be the typical short-sighted, big name Sather-esque acquisition this team does not need. And it would do damage to the future
I'm only for it if it can be done without giving up ANY of the kids, and if the Rangers are in a position that if they have to include a first, it's going to be a late rounder. If the Hawks demand a ransom, you 110% walk away.

Wouldn't do it otherwise. One of the main reasons I'd consider it is the projections for Laf to have a Kane like playstyle and the fact that he could benefit from being mentored by him for half a season, plus I think Kane has something to offer a better team. He's not going to dangle people like he did in his 20s, but the Blackhawks don't really have anyone else to create offense so it's understandable his goal total sucks. Sidebar - was amazed what an easy time the Rangers had scoring last night by basically shooting the puck directly underneath Soderblom's right knee most of the game. Woof. I'm sure being on the ice for that kind of goaltending gets demoralizing. Kane did have 92 points last year, and I don't think the decline is that quick.

Then move on from Blais and get a 6D. Knee injury or not, Blais is terrible. I don't understand why this team feels the need to habitually dress a Greg McKegg quality player for beaucoup games every single season. Brian Boyle would be better. Hell, Matt Puempel would be better. Is Brandon Pirri still playing?

Re: Craig Smith, he's a guy who has never lived up to expectations, and his skills have eroded over time. Not interested, not concerned if he has size. He's slow, his on ice awareness sucks, and the last thing we need is a mediocre player clogging up the middle of our forward lines.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So no word on Chytil?
They didn't practice today, but Vince did reiterate that it was day-to-day for Chytil with an upper body injury today on Jeff Marek's podcast. He didn't confirm anything, but he speculated that Fil will miss tomorrow's game, which wouldn't shock me either.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They didn't practice today, but Vince did reiterate that it was day-to-day for Chytil with an upper body injury today on Jeff Marek's podcast. He didn't confirm anything, but he speculated that Fil will miss tomorrow's game, which wouldn't shock me either.

Didn't Gallant say someone (forget who) was week to week once? Maybe it's actually day to day.

Reactions: PanMan

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I mean that's just absurd. Especially when it's the second night of a back to back with travel and aside from a sluggish start and a shift or two at the start of the second (when they were up 3-0 no less) the game seemed like they were playing on easy mode. Pathetic, but I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from those losers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad