Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Didn’t Briere deny the deal existed to the media, just for the Canes to then confirm it immediately after?

Funny that this is the outcome after that.

Just another disaster created by Fletcher.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have them all on ignore but haven't people been telling us that we're all blowing the whole Tortorella thing out of proportion?

I remember being ripped for being negative on Tortorella when he was hired, what with opposing his hire for many years. And he's spent all of his time showing that if anything, I was being too optimistic.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The league isn’t involved until there’s a trade call. They may have tried to do one and were told the deal was illegal, but then that means the trade wasn’t delayed. It ceased to exist. Nothing is pending.

Commenting on it publicly was frankly weird because by rule it cannot exist. The only thing you can do is a handshake agreement to revisit it on X date.
Thanks, Jojo. You continue to be a font of knowledge for me.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I don’t think you can fault Briere if this trade falls thru. They have a deal in place but the league said wait until July 9. July 9 rolls around and suddenly they are looking to bring EK aboard. From my pov Carolina is acting in bad faith if they pull the plug on it:
Did the league REALLYYYYY hold it up though? Did they really

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I don’t think you can fault Briere if this trade falls thru. They have a deal in place but the league said wait until July 9. July 9 rolls around and suddenly they are looking to bring EK aboard. From my pov Carolina is acting in bad faith if they pull the plug on it:
The only thing I fault Briere on here is not knowing that limitation, as the CBA language is explicit. Having to wait until now would have happened regardless.

It's also possible that the teams approached the League to ask if the requirement could be waived as a precursor to the trade, as there's really no functional difference between it happening pre-draft or now. Carolina's past last year's cap, they don't have to be compliant for the league year that his contract would have been "illegally acquired" for. We know this happened. We just don't know exactly who initiated it, if it was the teams or the league saying the trade was illegal. If the teams asked first, there's really no fault to hand Briere as the request was sensible, if unlikely to be granted.

And I'm guessing the leaks are from Jones.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The only thing I fault Briere on here is not knowing that limitation, as the CBA language is explicit. Having to wait until now would have happened regardless.

It's also possible that the teams approached the League to ask if the requirement could be waived as a precursor to the trade, as there's really no functional difference between it happening pre-draft or now. Carolina's past last year's cap, they don't have to be compliant for the league year that his contract would have been "illegally acquired" for. We know this happened. We just don't know exactly who initiated it, if it was the teams or the league saying the trade was illegal. If the teams asked first, there's really no fault to hand Briere as the request was sensible, if unlikely to be granted.

And I'm guessing the leaks are from Jones.
That is a good point. I do wonder why they just couldn’t push the trade through July 1 when the NHL calendar switched to 23-24. But I do agree it was likely Jones who ran his mouth

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Shocking that this trade has been completed.

Then again,
Doofus who can’t keep his mouth shut is team president
An out of touch, arrogant, childish asshole is head coach
An inexperienced gm is caught between the 2 aforementioned imbeciles
And, after seeing how things have gone with Ellis, Atkinson and Couts, I’m pretty sure the medical staff is under the charge of doctors Frankenstein and Mengele.

Yeah, this should end well.

ProcessThis

May 17, 2017
Yeah, there's no faulting Briere. Fletcher brought DeAngelo here knowing the situation. Tony D is blacklisted by several teams around the league, most teams don't have cap space and most teams don't view DeAngelo as a fit because he's not good in his own zone. I don't think Carolina is acting in bad faith though, the rules are the rules, and a lot of things happened during that month long holding pattern.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The league isn’t involved until there’s a trade call. They may have tried to do one and were told the deal was illegal, but then that means the trade wasn’t delayed. It ceased to exist. Nothing is pending.

Commenting on it publicly was frankly weird because by rule it cannot exist. The only thing you can do is a handshake agreement to revisit it on X date.
My guesswork understanding it that the rumor got out that PHI is trading TDA to CAR and at that point the league intervened the process before anything official got done, and there was a period of confusion whether such a trade can be allowed until a meeting in Nashville where the league informed that it can't be done until Jul 9th. The word kind of got out.

Signing TDA the last time around caused a but turmoil among CAR fandom so not saying anything probably wasn't an option for Waddell in the circumstances where potentially trading for TDA was one of the more interesting moves.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Why have faith in the idea that the league held it up? Because the guys that have proven you shouldn't have faith in them have told you so?

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
I doubt Waddell will back out. It's a bad look to renege on a handshake agreement using a technicality.
Now if Waddell needs cap room to pull off a Karlsson deal, that might expand the trade.
What percentage did you doubt?

• Haha
Reactions: wasup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad