Prospect Info: Toni Rajala

SchultzSquared*

The OKC major thread bump reminded me of Rajala and his success in NA... I know we mutually cut ties a couple years back... but the system is now empty on skill guys and Rajala has bounced to three teams in Europe... contract is also up this summer

I bet he would rather the one way AHL deal with good shot at NHL time over Euro money... no way he is making $800 or 900K over there and I would give him that for sure even if he washed out in camp and only made OKC better next year

Has anyone heard if that is a possibility???

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Why? I'm not trying to just dismiss you out of hand, but a smallish skilled winger who can't stick on a team in Europe is about the last thing that we need right now. On top of that, he's apparently already decided in the past that he doesn't want to play in NA, so even if the Oilers wanted to re-up him, I doubt Rajala would sign.

We'll likely draft Tkachev this year, who is infinitely more proven against almost-NHL level opposition, and that's all the tiny skilled longshots that I think the Oilers need.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Why? I'm not trying to just dismiss you out of hand, but a smallish skilled winger who can't stick on a team in Europe is about the last thing that we need right now. On top of that, he's apparently already decided in the past that he doesn't want to play in NA, so even if the Oilers wanted to re-up him, I doubt Rajala would sign.

We'll likely draft Tkachev this year, who is infinitely more proven against almost-NHL level opposition, and that's all the tiny skilled longshots that I think the Oilers need.

Can't make it in Europe?

30 points in 37 games in SweHL in 13/14.
12 in 21 in the KHL and 16 in 17 in the SweHL this season.

If we want to talk about his NA game he's put up 38 in 29 in the ECHL and 45 in 46 in the AHL in 12/13.

He has played well everywhere.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Is it that likely that we'll take Tkachev? The Oilers put him on every team's radar, so we'll have to grab him well ahead of where he should be taken if we want him.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Can't make it in Europe?

If we want to talk about his NA game he's put up 38 in 29 in the ECHL and 45 in 46 in the AHL in 12/13.

Paajarvi once had 29 points in 49 games in the SEL. So what?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Paajarvi once had 29 points in 49 games in the SEL. So what?

Difference is Paajarvi was a 1st rounder and Toni managed to work his way into the AHL and continued to trend upwards up until he left. We complain about later round picks, him and Reider were definitely solid picks later.

Oct 30, 2011
Can't make it in Europe?

is there a reason he's bouncing around so much?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
is there a reason he's bouncing around so much?
He took a one-year contract in Sweden after leaving us, performed well, got offered KHL money, discovered he didn't like being in nowhere Russia, got his contract annulled, then had to find a team mid-season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Would love to have him back, I could see him as a top 6 winger right now in the NHL. Has a ton of skill and speed. Looked very dynamic in the few european games I've seen him in.

Oct 30, 2011
idk, it just feels like Omark all over again. I think just bringing back Horak would be a wiser decision, considering our depth down the middle. I feel like Horak is more of an NHL player than Rajala.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not one single name that's been listed in this threat is going to help us at the NHL or AHL level.

Rajala could be nice on our ECHL team.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not one single name that's been listed in this threat is going to help us at the NHL or AHL level.

Rajala could be nice on our ECHL team.

Again, Rajala scored 45 points in 46 games in 12/13. There's nothing that points towards him not being able to handle the AHL level.

Also, Horak who scored 1 goal in 2 games in the NHL, scored 48 points in 52 games in the AHL last season and has 30 in 42 in the KHL. How could he not help with OKC/soon to be Bakersfield?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I'd say the likelihood of the Oilers drafting Tkachev isn't that high.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I sure wouldn't mind having Rajala and Horak back. Wish he still had the rights to Hartikainen as well. These are excellent guys to create competition in AHL but also all have a shot still to contribute on an NHL level.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I don't want to speculate too much, but I'd like to see him stick with a team for more than a year.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Ahh there are better fish in the sea.

Funny happening, NHL 14 GM mode (Superstar and difficult trading)... Toni became an 89 overall top line RW, putting up multiple 80+ pt seasons.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Would love to have him back, I could see him as a top 6 winger right now in the NHL. Has a ton of skill and speed. Looked very dynamic in the few european games I've seen him in.

He cannot play top 6 minutes in NHL. I think that he would be better fit and even scoring threat against soft opposition. When injured take Place he can occasionaly fil in Top 6 role.

I think that he is better than Yakopov who will Never play as many games in NHL as Daigle plyed. His the worse ever first overall pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad