Tommy Cross

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Langway, Jan 12, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommy Cross--a guy somewhat out of left field that's ranked the 10th best North American skater for '07 by CSS. He's headed to BC in '08.

Here's a short recent bio:
    McKeen's had this to say about him at the U-18s:
    What are your takes on this guy? Could he potentially go in the first round?

2. Hiishawk

Hiishawk Registered User

Home Page:
    Easily. He's been talked about in glowing terms ever since the summer tourney in Czech Republic as a potential 1st rounder. As high as the top 7 or 8 is not unreasonable.

3. WesternCollegeHockey

WesternCollegeHockey Registered User

He definitely played like a first round pick at the US Select 17 Festival, and it sounds like he's continued to play that way this year.

Plus, teams have a hard-time passing on a kid any time they see "6'3"" "very physical" and "right-shooting defenseman" in a scouting report.

4. timlap

timlap Registered User

Home Page:
    steblick, the description above (from Mckeens) does not sound like a top 10 guy. What's your take on his skills etc?

5. Hiishawk

Hiishawk Registered User

Home Page:
    I haven't seen him since the new season started but I've heard that he has really developed well.

"Raw" is (was?) the key word here- he hasn't faced a ton of top level competition before but you could see him pick up his game speed as he got used to tougher competition. He is inconsistent but gives flashes of exceptional atheleticism. It's true that he has some skating work to do in that he's not an elegant skater and he's not flashy with the puck but he seemed very smart to me and much of his play had the look of someone who simply needed confidence (and getting used to teammates which he did quite well) and experience to let that basic potential and skill come to the fore. He's strong and has that wide wingspan and active stick you like to see in a defender.

To tell the truth, I wasn't watching him that closely.

6. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

Cross is without a doubt one of the draft's wildcards. The word from most of the scouts I've talked to is he's looked at as a late first rounder at this point, with the potential to move up to the middle of the round.

He's not going to give you much offence, but he's big, mobile and smart. Was paired with Shattenkirk at the Under 18s and impressed with his defensive play.