Speculation: Tomas Jurco (Update: signed to AHL contract)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
How will look the process, if he wants to go to NHL. Is he waiver eligible?

He is waiver eligible. If a team were to sign him and want to assign him to the AHL, he'd have to clear.

I'd imagine the process would be that an interested NHL team would have him sign with their AHL team either on a try out or an AHL deal and then sign him to an NHL deal if/when they think he's ready to come up to the NHL.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
'Member when Red Wings fans lost their nuts over stuff he did on dryland?

Always knew his game wouldn't really translate easily to the NHL but didn't think he'd be going down this route, hope something works out for him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Article published on november 9th:
Tomáš Jurčo: Stále mám na NHL

Apparantly he underwent back surgery two years ago, and recently had a second surgery. He has returned to skating and is looking to make a comeback around new year.

Quotes:

"I would like to play in the AHL, and then come back to the NHL. After my surgery two years ago, I started playing with Detroit right away and I didn't feel ready. That's why I'd rather start in the minors. I don't know which team I'll play for, I'm leaving everything up to my agent. I believe he will help me".

"I'll have time for the KHL later. I'm still a young guy who desires to compete with the best in the world. I'm not ready to go to Russia. I believe I can still play in the NHL."
This is exactly what happened. He hasn't been the same player once he returned from that surgery.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd take him back. Tell him he'll be brought up if he lights up the minors again. He honestly did look like a completely different player after that back injury. Hopefully he can bounce back.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I was super high on Jurco when he was on the Wings, but the thing is every team has about 4 or 5 Jurcos in their system. He has tons of skill, but none of the other assets that would make him a reliable NHLer.

Hope he can work hard and least carve out a career as a pro, even though I don't think it'll ever be in the NHL. I do like his attitude, though.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Woulnt mind the Leafs picking him up to play on the Marlies. Reclamation project. Kind of like Ennis, someone coming off a big surgery who partly is here to rehab after a major surgery/injury and see if he can get his career back on track.
We could use another LWer with skill, knowing Marleaus career is creeping to a close soon and we have a bunch of maybes in the AHL right now (Moore, Engval, Marchment, Timashov)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The Sens should sign him. Was just thinking about him earlier today, I even googled him to see if he was playing anywhere. Now that I see his comments, I'm even more interested

Willing to play in AHL for an extended stretch and with NHL level skill. We will need to replace some bodies down the road, I'm sure, and Jurco can be given an opportunity to do that. If he fails, well, we have a solid AHL vet.

Honestly, the biggest stumbling block I see for the Sens and Jurco is that we are already short on spots for forwards and Jurco might force a young player out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad