Post-Game Talk: Tom Wilson vs. the NY Ragdolls - 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Mod edit to add lines. Vitek appears to be getting the net.

200w.webp

I made the last GDT vs the franchise Willy broke. So WTH?

Will be interesting to see the Caps play without 8 & 19. It'll be like peaking into the future of this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
Is Fehervary actually that good that he is starting on the first pairing? I know people were saying that he was basically penciled in to play in the nhl this year, but I didn't think they would be starting him on top line.

Seems like he isn't really talked about much in the prospects forum either.

Reactions: Neil Racki

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Is Fehervary actually that good that he is starting on the first pairing? I know people were saying that he was basically penciled in to play in the nhl this year, but I didn't think they would be starting him on top line.

Remarkable poise for such a young player. Improved with a year in the AHL last year (COVID year) including offensively. Unflappable. Fast smooth skating makes up for mistakes. Aggressive but still in good position due to skating. Willing to hit and be physical. We are hoping/expecting big things from him. You can see the confidence in him this year as shown in preseason.

We're not saying he is one of the best 4 defenseman on the team right now, but he seems to play well with Carlson.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

What is your definition of "first pair"?? I expect that Carlson is getting offensive zone starts and matchups that allow him to create offense. As a result Fehervary is not playing the most important defensive minutes in the game. The Caps dont tend to play a 1-2, 3-4 defensive set up. Its more like 1-4/2-3 and so Fehervary is on that 1-4 pair to attack and Orlov and Jensen are the 2-3 with a primarily defensive role.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel like VV has earned the Opening Night start from preseason. But it's just the start of the competition.

I am surprised by this. We have largely agreed that Samsonov will get every opportunity to be he #1 which IMO meant the first shot at anything. To give Vanecek the first game means giving him the first shot at the job. He can force his way into the role with results. If the Caps shut out the Rangers tonight, Vanecek gets the next game, for instance

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I am surprised by this. We have largely agreed that Samsonov will get every opportunity to be he #1 which IMO meant the first shot at anything. To give Vanecek the first game means giving him the first shot at the job. He can force his way into the role with results. If the Caps shut out the Rangers tonight, Vanecek gets the next game, for instance

Of course. It's like twins. Both are about the same at birth, but one came out first. They will keep rotating until one grabs the reins or one falls off into darkness and despair. If VV is lights out tonight (Rangers shutout) he deserves a little longer look.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It does seem odd but Samsonov only played one game this preseason and then has been limited with some type of lower body injury, I think. Maybe the coaches don't think he's game ready yet. Or maybe Vanny just outplayed him by a decent enough margin that he forced their hand.

Edit: seems like the latter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course. It's like twins. Both are about the same at birth, but one came out first. They will keep rotating until one grabs the reins or one falls off into darkness and despair. If VV is lights out tonight (Rangers shutout) he deserves a little longer look.

I dont see it as a twins thing. Its much more like the fair haired boy and the redheaded stepchild. Note the train of thought here that Vanecek has already maxxed out.

Reactions: tenken00

Jun 15, 2007
Seeing those “The Commish is in the building for tonight’s game” headlines are kinda funny. Like what’s he gonna do? Break up the fights? Act as some deterrent?

It does psychologically. Acting up when the principal is around never seemed wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad