Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you prefer opinions without explanations? OK.

just sayin….you put a lot of effort to tear down the guy….it’s fine, you don’t think he’s worthy, I think he’s lucky to get in due to injury and circumstance….AND good play.

IMO, and I’ve watched a lot of ASG’s…..I would not have Tom Wilson on the short list of all time least worthy selections.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I am curious. What is your definition of "good player". Do you have a player on another team that is the same level of good player?
OK, I'll give you an example of a good player and one I would argue has always been more skilled than Tom, had similar to better production on lower lines, but did not make an all-start team ...until this year when his stats became out of this world. Nazim Kadri. His stats were pretty remarkable even before this season for a guy not playing with superstars on his line. 2-way player, like Tom. Sure, different positions but I still think we can compare the two.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
just sayin….you put a lot of effort to tear down the guy….it’s fine, you don’t think he’s worthy, I think he’s lucky to get in due to injury and circumstance….AND good play.

IMO, and I’ve watched a lot of ASG’s…..I would not have Tom Wilson on the short list of all time least worthy selections.
I promise you, it didn't take a lot of effort to give an honest analysis. I'm not blaming him for the PP for PK units' difficulties, what I'm saying is that all star level guys elevate guys around them. Tom does his job and does it well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I promise you, it didn't take a lot of effort to give an honest analysis. I'm not blaming him for the PP for PK units' difficulties, what I'm saying is that all star level guys elevate guys around them. Tom does his job and does it well.

You must have a specific idea of what you mean by "elevate guys around them." For me its pretty obvious much of Wilson's game is about those around him. Just his presence on the ice elevates those around him.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
You must have a specific idea of what you mean by "elevate guys around them." For me its pretty obvious much of Wilson's game is about those around him. Just his presence on the ice elevates those around him.

His on-of ice stats over this and last season say otherwise. His CF% and xGF% are at the bottom of all cap players.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
His on-of ice stats over this and last season say otherwise. His CF% and xGF% are at the bottom of all cap players.

NHL Player Statistics -Advanced Stats

upload_2022-2-4_16-11-34.png
upload_2022-2-4_16-12-19.png

:huh:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

The expected goals cited above are all-situations, which includes significant PP time. At 5v5 and adjusting for score and flurries, Wilson has only been better than Eller and Hagelin in terms of xGF%.

Evolving Hockey paints a similar story, though Wilson also performs better than Dowd under EH's model.

Connor McMichael, of course, is at the top according to EH and second according to Moneypuck. Give him minutes!

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The expected goals cited above are all-situations, which includes significant PP time. At 5v5 and adjusting for score and flurries, Wilson has only been better than Eller and Hagelin in terms of xGF%.

Evolving Hockey paints a similar story, though Wilson also performs better than Dowd under EH's model.

Connor McMichael, of course, is at the top according to EH and second according to Moneypuck. Give him minutes!

5v5 only, score adjusted, no "flurries", and other than a couple of other players...

OK sure. How about during the McNugget minute? If he's not leading the league in expected nuggets then he sucks, right?

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Over this and last season he is 27e in xGF% and 26e in CF% of the 28 players who played a minimum of 120 minutes.

He offense has been very lackluster since last season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Over this and last season he is 27e in xGF% and 26e in CF% of the 28 players who played a minimum of 120 minutes.

He offense has been very lackluster since last season.

What the f*** are you guys talking about?

When did expected percentage of imaginary goals scored when the full moon is passing through Orion's belt become the measure of "offense"?

Wilson is 4th on the team in points and has 13 goals, which is 3rd behind Kuzy's 14 and Ovie's 29.

Last year Wilson was 5th on the team in goals and points.

But sure, he's the worst player on the team.

JFC

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
How has this evolved from he’s a good player but not all star caliber to “but sure, he’s the worst player on the team”?

In my view, it’s Ovi, Kuzy, Orlov, Backstrom (in yesteryear would be #2), Carlson, Wilson in that order. No shame in that whatsoever.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
5v5 only, score adjusted, no "flurries", and other than a couple of other players...

OK sure. How about during the McNugget minute? If he's not leading the league in expected nuggets then he sucks, right?

Yes, you need to consider the game state, otherwise players who play on the power play would look better under this metric than those who don’t for instance.

Just for the record I think Tom Wilson is a good player and I’m glad he’s going to the all star game. But you did post a misleading stat, and if there’s one thing that boils my blood it’s stat abuse!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, you need to consider the game state, otherwise players who play on the power play would look better under this metric than those who don’t for instance.

Just for the record I think Tom Wilson is a good player and I’m glad he’s going to the all star game. But you did post a misleading stat, and if there’s one thing that boils my blood it’s stat abuse!

Right. The actual goals and assist are misleading and not really "offense".

Good thinking.

Since the PP no longer counts Wilson is still 4th on the team in 5v5 goals. His G/60 drops a bit to 9th at 5v5 among players with 10 games or more, but his .78 is still close to CMM's .84 and everyone think's he's an unheralded offensive dynamo.

You guys are digging for some reason to shit on TW's achievements. It's actually amusing and a little satisfying to see TW making the ASG upset so many people.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Right. The actual goals and assist are misleading and not really "offense".

Good thinking.

Since the PP no longer counts Wilson is still 4th on the team in 5v5 goals. His G/60 drops a bit to 9th at 5v5 among players with 10 games or more, but his .78 is still close to CMM's .84 and everyone think's he's an unheralded offensive dynamo.

You guys are digging for some reason to shit on TW's achievements. It's actually amusing and a little satisfying to see TW making the ASG upset so many people.

The expected goals numbers are misleading for sure, but even the point rates are misleading because it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Those who don’t get power play time are likely going to have lower point rates because they aren’t deployed in these offensive situations where it’s easier to collect points.

I think the point you make about McMichael is a good one. Why isn’t he getting ice time if he’s producing at rates similar to Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nicklas Backstrom? Especially since unlike the latter two, McMichael should only improve. Baffling coaching decisions!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The expected goals numbers are misleading for sure, but even the point rates are misleading because it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Those who don’t get power play time are likely going to have lower point rates because they aren’t deployed in these offensive situations where it’s easier to collect points.

I think the point you make about McMichael is a good one. Why isn’t he getting ice time if he’s producing at rates similar to Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nicklas Backstrom? Especially since unlike the latter two, McMichael should only improve. Baffling coaching decisions!

Umm....this gives me a headache. The players on the power play are not really the best offensive players on the team while a player getting scratched is a top player. Sounds like if we just got McMichael on the power play we could kill his analytics and.....oh, nevermind

Edit: Have we established that McMichael and Sprong are better than Ovechkin yet?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Umm....this gives me a headache. The players on the power play are not really the best offensive players on the team while a player getting scratched is a top player. Sounds like if we just got McMichael on the power play we could kill his analytics and.....oh, nevermind

Edit: Have we established that McMichael and Sprong are better than Ovechkin yet?

The point isn’t that McMichael is better than these guys, but yes McMichael could be one of the team’s better offensive threats despite getting healthy scratches. There’s a reason so many here are upset at McMichael’s lack of ice time, it’s hardly a fringe opinion.

Anyways, this is the Tom Wilson thread. He’s a good player, no one here said he’s bad. They just pointed out some of his flaws because it’s a player discussion thread. Apparently TWDS (Tom Wilson Derangement Syndrome) goes both ways. You don’t have to take offense to criticism of him!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fringe opinions among armchair NHL coaches…..don’t mean jack except to like-minded people.

I take this with a grain of salt….many of the same people criticizing Wilson, called him ruined, a bust, and if you watch GDTs, they criticize him anytime anything physical happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad