Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's been deleted. There was more but it now routes back to the original article from the day before.

And I had it wrong, DoPS did propose the rule change...albeit very likely as a result of GM whining. I understand giving DoPS greater latitude where it can explore something that maybe was previously outside of their abilities but I can't imagine it's invoked much, if ever.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wait, I'm confused... The tweet is about Wilson but the linked TSN article doesn't mention him at all. It does talk about Domi.
Yea, I read the article and didn't see Tom Wilson. Might be that the editors wouldn't let him write a Tom Wilson article. Another Tom Wilson article.

The article has been changed. It used to reference Toms fight with Cole, now it doesn't mention Wilson at all.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m a huuuuuuuge fan of gloved punches. Very satisfying to deliver and painful to receive, all while protecting the punchers hand.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
5 of the last 8 guys Willie has fought have been unable to serve their penalty

Wow. That is a telling stat. I wonder what sort of numbers are common now in the concussion protocol era. Still, that seems high. These are the kinds of advanced stats we need. I had half joked he punches like Mike Tyson... maybe more like Joey Kocur....

I still remember Oleksiak sitting in the box,dazed and confused, like Marv from Home Alone after getting abused by the kid.

I am not so quick to fully buy in that Cernak is fine. Maybe he is still learning to take a punch, but tis the season to mask injuries. Lets see a picture of his face and go from there. His arms seemed a few inches shorter than Willy despite being a big kid.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
5 of the last 8 guys Willie has fought have been unable to serve their penalty

There was a time people argued that players didn't get hurt in hockey fights.
The league says it wants to cut down on head injuries, yet they allow players to hammer each other in the head with fists.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There was a time when hockey fights didn't result in the volume of NOTICEABLE injuries. It didn't help that announcers often downplayed it as a good ole fashion hockey fight, no one got hurt etc.

All us old timers saw fight after fight where players rarely showed signs of being injured. If a guy was cut he would be back in 5 minutes. Now, when a guy eats a single punch, he is often in the dressing room. Players are bigger and stronger now, but it seems like pain/injury thresholds are lower.

Its not just fighting. Shot blocking seems the same. A single shot block results in seeing in seeing a young player writhing in pain, while a vet just eats pucks and seems no worse for wear.

Peat vs Stock. Domi vs Probert... some of the most violent fights of all time, players seemed nothing more than tired at the end. It's just a scratch.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Also, in my friend group, I was laughed at for years for saying that Wilson had the potential and talent to be a first-liner and one of the best power forwards of this generation. Seems like we struck gold and I get a good chuckle every time that Willy changes a game.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Broken pinky huh... I would guess someone from the arena moved between the 2 locker rooms, and being a home game for Tampans, that person was basically a little tattle tale mole. Like, the doctor.

If we see him deferring fights for the next few weeks, maybe that will be our confirmation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Watching the replay of the fight, it does appear that final punch was probably his pinky that took out his tooof.

I guess when he reached up to his face, it was to catch the chicklet. Locker would have noticed someone picking it up off the ice. Maybe Tom's pinky nail was in his mouth as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There was a time when hockey fights didn't result in the volume of NOTICEABLE injuries. It didn't help that announcers often downplayed it as a good ole fashion hockey fight, no one got hurt etc.

All us old timers saw fight after fight where players rarely showed signs of being injured. If a guy was cut he would be back in 5 minutes. Now, when a guy eats a single punch, he is often in the dressing room. Players are bigger and stronger now, but it seems like pain/injury thresholds are lower.

Its not just fighting. Shot blocking seems the same. A single shot block results in seeing in seeing a young player writhing in pain, while a vet just eats pucks and seems no worse for wear.

Peat vs Stock. Domi vs Probert... some of the most violent fights of all time, players seemed nothing more than tired at the end. It's just a scratch.

Yea...so what happened to Peate after hockey? Probert?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad