Tom Wilson Hit on Jonathan Marchessault

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The only reason this completely unremarkable penalty that wasn't even initially called is creeping up on 40 pages because oh noes Tom Wilson!

Not "unremarkable." I rarely see this kind of a play. Usually it's from some kind of a thug player. Usually 2-minute interference is a moving pick or something like that.

This is something else - a heavy hit clearly delivered late. Wilson wanted to hurt the guy. There is no other reason to make this play.

Wilson would do a lot better to use his hitting ability to gain possession. Not to rattle players that are not eligible to be hit. This hit is BS.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Time to play flag hockey at this point. Wilsons hit was late. Was in the box for 2 minutes. Why on earth would any knowledgeable person think he needed a hearing for it?

Seriously. Which rule do people think he needs to get suspended for?

This time, there was literally no head contact. No question about followthroughs, or principal point of contact to the head.
It was far away from the boards, so boarding is not even remotely a question.
It was also clearly shoulder to shoulder. Not to the back, or a low clip.

What is it?!?!?! It was slightly late? Woopee doo, that's a 2 minute penalty.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think it would be pretty reasonable for the Knights to send someone out to cross check Wilson in the neck.

If the league refuses to protect against predatory players, the players should do it themselves.

If someone does that then the Caps should bring guns to the following game for self-defense. It's disgusting for you to even suggest a premeditated attack with a weapon like that.

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
Seriously. Which rule do people think he needs to get suspended for?

This time, there was literally no head contact. No question about followthroughs, or principal point of contact to the head.
It was far away from the boards, so boarding is not even remotely a question.
It was also clearly shoulder to shoulder. Not to the back, or a low clip.

What is it?!?!?! It was slightly late? Woopee doo, that's a 2 minute penalty.
The hit reminded me of watching real hockey in the 1990's and early 2000's. Where a hit like that happened more then once a game.

The real question here is.....if it wasn't a late hit would the weak people calling for discipline be calling for a suspension still........now thats something to think about.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and Mrpuck

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
So bad, exactly the same time passes from puck possession to hit as the Aaron Rome hit in 2011. Rome gets 5 + a game plus 4 game suspension, Wilson gets no penalty and no suspension.

The Wilson hit can even be considered worse, because he is coming from the blind side, where as Rome hit him from the front

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So bad, exactly the same time passes from puck possession to hit as the Aaron Rome hit in 2011. Rome gets 5 + a game plus 4 game suspension, Wilson gets no penalty and no suspension.

The Wilson hit can even be considered worse, because he is coming from the blind side, where as Rome hit him from the front
Bad indeed, but not for the reasons you might think.

Tom Wilson, three games for being a big meaney who hits during a hockey game.

Well I never!

Feb 24, 2017
It's 0.8 seconds now. Wilson now has the green light for 0.7 and who can complain about an extra 0.1...kind of like shoulder/jaw same area lets not complain about a few inches high, how can Wilson know ZAR can't jump?
The guy literally studies the suspension rules to see how much CTE he can dish out on behalf of his Team. What a teammate!
you are as insufferably whiny as people used to say Crosby was

He cleaned up his act

I suggest you follow suit

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The hit reminded me of watching real hockey in the 1990's and early 2000's. Where a hit like that happened more then once a game.

The real question here is.....if it wasn't a late hit would the weak people calling for discipline be calling for a suspension still........now thats something to think about.
The thing is, because the league has changed, for better or for worse, this kind of hit doesn’t happen any more. Thus, players don’t expect these hits. Making it even more dangerous. If the league said “open season” players would play differently. But in this case it’s one player taking advantage of this. And because it’s a transitional period there’s a lot of confusion and debate.
I’m sure 20 years ago Marchessault would have been more careful. It feels like one guy playing by a different set of rules and benefiting. That’s what aggravates me.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Wilson knows the puck is long gone. Wilson knows Marchessault is in a vulnerable position. Wilson doesn't care. Wilson is set on the idea of laying a big hit. Results in a dangerous play that could have ended much worse.
And this, is precisely textbook Tommy Wilson. I guess we should be grateful he didn't do the usual Tommy-Jump into the head of a unsuspecting player, far away from the play and the puck. Sure hope he doesn't Tommy-Hide again, like he did in every Penguin game with Reaves and even with Oleksiak, when the Knights come kn0ckin'. Lord knows Tommy hates it when the foes see him coming. And seriously, who the **** hides from Oleksiak, anyway?

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Defend their lawsuit from players who acknowledge that in the course of play that they may be checked violently and that they bear bear the responsibility to protect themselves?

Good luck with that. The NHL is NOT the NFL. But when everything is always extended to the worst possible imaginable outcome, I can see how nuances like self determination or personal responsibility can get lost.
If you are operating under the adorable concept that the NHL will avoid severe negative consequence regarding willful lack of player protection regarding head shots and the relationship to CTE, let me be the first to disabuse you of that notion. NFL is already on the hook for $1 Billion, and it is only going to get worse. You speak of player responsibility - isn't it beyond obvious Tommy seeks to injure and truly doesn't comprehend what he is doing is wrong? Whether that is his fault for being patently stupid or the league's for not punishing his behavior unless the victims are on a surgical table the next day is a fairly ridiculous distinction.

Reactions: egelband

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
There's a 42 page about a 2 minute interference penalty?

I guess Tom Wilson really have gotten in to heads..

Kuz

May 11, 2015
And this, is precisely textbook Tommy Wilson. I guess we should be grateful he didn't do the usual Tommy-Jump into the head of a unsuspecting player, far away from the play and the puck. Sure hope he doesn't Tommy-Hide again, like he did in every Penguin game with Reaves and even with Oleksiak, when the Knights come kn0ckin'. Lord knows Tommy hates it when the foes see him coming. And seriously, who the **** hides from Oleksiak, anyway?

He have fought Reaves several times already and maybe he doesnt feel the need to fight Oleksiak a player he is 10 times better than.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If you are operating under the adorable concept that the NHL will avoid severe negative consequence regarding willful lack of player protection regarding head shots and the relationship to CTE, let me be the first to disabuse you of that notion. NFL is already on the hook for $1 Billion, and it is only going to get worse. You speak of player responsibility - isn't it beyond obvious Tommy seeks to injure and truly doesn't comprehend what he is doing is wrong? Whether that is his fault for being patently stupid or the league's for not punishing his behavior unless the victims are on a surgical table the next day is a fairly ridiculous distinction.
The NFL, like say big tobacco, knew of the risks and initiated a systemic smear campaign against the Pittsburg pathologist AND withheld information from the players. The NHL did NOT.

And as for the players, to those that go in front of a judge and say " honestly your honor, I really thought that I could willfully play a violent game that sanctioned large men at speed to violently collide with each other, that's soon as I pulled the sweater over my head that I would be able to do so in perpetuity without ANY adverse effects to my long term health" well good luck with that. The same goes for fighting which is 99.9 percent consentual. Even if players were expected to fight, they made the decision ( like NHL who at the end simply chose not to).

What's next, Clint malarchuck suing the league that employs players with knives on their feet?

The NHL is not the NFL and it's 100 percent disingenuous to suggest that they are one in the same. The leagues position, it's steadfast position that there is still great uncertainty between the extent ( if any) between physical contact and cte IS the best current medical understanding no matter how mant hack lawyers and exploitative NYT articles say otherwise.

There are STILL currently no accepted diagnostics for CTE that can be used to assess and monitor the progression of the disease. It is STILL currently unclear whether sub concussive events are benign or WORSE than concussive events and the contribution of genetics has not even been addressed. We know VERY little about the etiology of the disease, it's progression or it's manifestation. That is the current state of the art. The answer to this is more research not a bunch of knee jerk reactions based on your gut.

To suggest that the NHL be held liable because they failed to be omniscient and failed to understand the relationship before the medical community did is laughable if it were not for hack lawyers trying to make a buck and [mod] who completely misinterpret both the differences between the NHL and the NFL and our current understanding of the long term risks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He have fought Reaves several times already and maybe he doesnt feel the need to fight Oleksiak a player he is 10 times better than.
And if olesiak's really wanted to go three lame ass slashes was no invitation. Penny's brother could have pressed the issue but didn't. It was a dog and pony show for his teammates to show them that he kinda had their backs but not so much as to actually force the issue with Wilson.

On the other hand, Wilson laughing at olesiak was pretty sweet. You want to see what a guy who really wants to fight does? Watch what Wilson did against coburn. That is a guy pressing the issue.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The thing is, because the league has changed, for better or for worse, this kind of hit doesn’t happen any more. Thus, players don’t expect these hits. Making it even more dangerous. If the league said “open season” players would play differently. But in this case it’s one player taking advantage of this. And because it’s a transitional period there’s a lot of confusion and debate.
I’m sure 20 years ago Marchessault would have been more careful. It feels like one guy playing by a different set of rules and benefiting. That’s what aggravates me.
Players admiring their passes in the neutral zone no longer think they will get hit? Since freaking when?

The onus to be situationally aware has not diminished one iota. Players are still taught from a young age to keep their heads up and this expectations is still extant today.

Chose to ignore this mandate at your own risk.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

That's not a question at all, the answer is yes and the justification is the same as well " because it's Tom Wilson"

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jesus 40 pages for this?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Would just like to throw my hat in the ring for the next Tom Wilson thread title:

Tom Wilson eats human baby

Tom Wilson, actually the devil?

Wilson: Deranged Lunatic or Psychotic Madman?

Reactions: Red Dread
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad