Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tom WillanderRDSwedenSwe-JrFeb 9, 2005394212512 (EUR)6'1.25''180lbs

Committed to Boston University.

1st Round Consolidated Ranking: 24
Bob McKenzie: 20
Elite Prospects: 23

The Athletic Scouting Report (Pronman)

Willander's skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander's skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn't always sold on his offensive touch. I don't see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

The Athletic Scouting Report (Wheeler)

One of the better-skating defencemen in the draft, Willander, who is committed to Boston University for the fall, was a horse for the Swedish national team and Rogle’s junior team this year. He’s a strong-in-all-three-zones two-way defenceman who plays a confident and decisive game that uses his beautiful, balanced skating to push forward or fall back onto his heels and outlet the puck. He pulls away or retreats from pressure with ease and excels on exits. His head is always up. He gets his shots through. And then on top of the pro frame, and the skating, and the general athleticism, he also just plays the game with an intentionality that is rare in players his age. He looks and operates like a pro out there, his passes are quick and firm, he’s aggressive on pinches and closing gaps, and rarely mistimes them, swallowing up play defensively. Willander doesn’t have dynamic skill or creativity on the puck, but he projects safely as an NHL defenceman and might be a two-way transition monster in a second-pairing role with the right development. I expect him to step right into the college game and be impactful.

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

Tom Willander has been among this draft’s biggest risers on most rankings, including ours. To our credit, he impressed us early, as evidenced by our game reports, and it was more of a case of growing admiration rather than being caught totally off guard by his skill level.

Then with an exceptionally strong showing at the U18s, Willander made himself a consensus first-round pick across the industry. Perhaps even someone destined for the first 15 picks.

Willander’s value stems from the combination of high-end skating and motor. He’s always engaged defensively, using his dynamic posture and evasive footwork to guide attackers away from the middle and break up plays along the boards. When you add the fact that he’s both strong and skilled physically and relentlessly competes for every puck – he’s a nightmare to play against. Even if you start or manage to gain an advantage, Willander has the quickness to recover most of the time. Simply put: He’s one of the most projectable defensive players in the entire draft.

Also elusive with the puck, Willander was among the better breakout artists at the J20 level this season. He was quite conservative with his play at the start of the season, often deferring to his partner and moving the puck quickly instead of trying to take full advantage of his skating. The U18s offered an example of what Willander is capable of when he’s constantly activating, filling up space and overall maximizing his impact in transition.

Willander’s defensive reads are a strength, but high-end offensive instincts are currently missing from his game. He can consistently create potential openings and advantages with his feet, but couldn’t often capitalize on them.

As Elite Prospects lead scout David St-Louis summarized in one of his game reports, “Willander lacks the awareness and processing inside his moves to really make the best play. He activates, shifts alongside the blue, and makes some cheeky 1-on-1 moves and passes, but the offensive reads and creativity lag behind the toolkit".

A reported move to Boston College in his draft-plus-one season should serve him well in this regard.

Even if Willander doesn’t end up taking significant steps offensively, his floor as a prospect remains high. Becoming a complementary No. 4 blueliner who provides a lot of defensive value through his skating, motor, and physicality while being able to move the puck competently is definitely in the cards, even without any major developmental leaps. And if the offence does take off? Watch out.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He's been pretty meh, every time I've watched him play.
I really wasn't expecting too much this year, its the Lane Hudson show over in Boston. He is probably still getting used to playing in the small ice, so all Im looking for is improvement.

Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really wasn't expecting too much this year, its the Lane Hudson show over in Boston. He is probably still getting used to playing in the small ice, so all Im looking for is improvement.

I was/am expecting a lot. High first round picks dominating NCAA in their first year is not unusual.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If he was getting PP1 time, he'd probably be a point per game and the hype would be in full force. With Hutson there, it's understandable that he isn't getting those minutes, but he is still playing strong defensively, and showing off his ability to make good outlet passes, while producing at a respectable rate. He has only played a couple seasons as a Dman, has had to make adjustments to NA hockey, is 2nd on the team in defensemen points, and is a team-best +10. I don't see how his season thus far, isn't seen as anything but encouraging.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
willander has been okay but i'd be shocked if he makes the canucks next season. his game is very very raw. his great skating helps him make defensive plays at the college level but probably won't be enough at the next level. he's still gotta learn to play the position

his offense is kind of worry too. it's mostly a product of being on a fairly high scoring team. he doesn't really create anything with the puck on his stick. most of his assists have come on long breakout passes (which is a good skill to have but isn't really indicative of offensive skill). he often looks a step behind the play in the opponent's end and he rarely carries the puck in transition

Reactions: DFAC

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think it’s a bit of a long shot for Willander to turn pro next year. It would seem a ton of work for him to piss off a bunch of people and move across the world to only play one year of college. His plan must be to play two years although things can change.

And ya, I agree that he needs to be dominating the NCAA, at least for the last half, for him to retain the kind of potential we all hoped he had. Hutson being there is relevant for points, but the eye test should reveal domination at some point this season.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I think it’s a bit of a long shot for Willander to turn pro next year. It would seem a ton of work for him to piss off a bunch of people and move across the world to only play one year of college. His plan must be to play two years although things can change.

And ya, I agree that he needs to be dominating the NCAA, at least for the last half, for him to retain the kind of potential we all hoped he had. Hutson being there is relevant for points, but the eye test should reveal domination at some point this season.
Pandolfo pretty much confirmed that plan in an earlier interview, he would be surprised if Tom only stays for one year. This year is for him to learn the N.american game, next year is when i expect him get PP time and to dominate. Defensive dmen usually take a longer time to take off. Seider, Faber all took a few years.

Reactions: Hodgy

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
willander has been okay but i'd be shocked if he makes the canucks next season. his game is very very raw. his great skating helps him make defensive plays at the college level but probably won't be enough at the next level. he's still gotta learn to play the position

his offense is kind of worry too. it's mostly a product of being on a fairly high scoring team. he doesn't really create anything with the puck on his stick. most of his assists have come on long breakout passes (which is a good skill to have but isn't really indicative of offensive skill). he often looks a step behind the play in the opponent's end and he rarely carries the puck in transition

I think he's been excellent the past 2 weekends after an up and down start to the season. The things that really matter - defending and transitional play, he's been the best player all 4 games. He's getting entries being effective on the 2nd PP. His breakout play isn't just good, it's truly amazing, the passing even more so than the skating. That's what Vancouver needs him for in the NHL. Any offense is just gravy, and he's certain producing at a good rate for a freshman defenseman anyway.

If he keeps trending up like this I actually wouldn't be surprised if they consider signing him after his freshman year, even if going back for a second year wouldn't hurt.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Charlie McAvoy played two years at BU and Willander is nowhere near McAvoy's level so two, three years plus some time in the AHL. No point even talking about the kid for another three four years.
Did you watch McAvoy in BU because he did 2 yrs and his stat line wasn't anything crazy to suggest that he was on another level?

If Willander isnt making the Canucks after 2yrs at BU something has gone wrong

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If he was getting PP1 time, he'd probably be a point per game and the hype would be in full force. With Hutson there, it's understandable that he isn't getting those minutes, but he is still playing strong defensively, and showing off his ability to make good outlet passes, while producing at a respectable rate. He has only played a couple seasons as a Dman, has had to make adjustments to NA hockey, is 2nd on the team in defensemen points, and is a team-best +10. I don't see how his season thus far, isn't seen as anything but encouraging.

Agreed. His numbers are about what I expected given the Hutson/PP situation.

He was never, ever going to produce the sort of numbers that people would want because of Hutson and the way that team was set up.

I was hoping for about 30 points/40 games with good progress defensively. And right now that seems to be on target - his ES production is excellent and the other team isn't scoring when he's on the ice.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
As people have said, can’t read too much into his production as Hutson takes all of the PP time. Would hope that he becomes the PP guy next year and plays at a point per game pace. This year is about honing his defensive play and adjusting to NA ice.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Charlie McAvoy played two years at BU and Willander is nowhere near McAvoy's level so two, three years plus some time in the AHL. No point even talking about the kid for another three four years.

So you won't be posting in the Willander thread for the next 3 years at least?

If Willander isnt making the Canucks after 2yrs at BU something has gone wrong

These things do generally depend on the quality of the team's D. I'll give him half a season to a season in the AHL. He should be close to NHL ready and pushing for a spot.

He was never, ever going to produce the sort of numbers that people would want because of Hutson and the way that team was set up.

I was hoping for about 30 points/40 games with good progress defensively. And right now that seems to be on target - his ES production is excellent and the other team isn't scoring when he's on the ice.

Agreed. The hope is that he could develop his offensive game further playing in the NCAA rather than in Sweden but we didn't draft him to be the next Quinn Hughes or even as offensively gifted as ASP.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Bolded is exactly what makes me like this prospect. He’s a defensive first type of middle linebacker so to speak that has the offensive tools to create plays but focuses on all key defensive situations. A jack of all trades if you will. His skating and defensive awareness are all projectable qualities and certainly meets the eye test as well as the scouting reports.

What I’ve been most impressed is his ability to carry his linemate and cover for their egregious mistakes. BU is a very defensively inept team and are very much run and gun. Willander has brought some stability back there. I want him to be a little more involved in that regard, perhaps play a little more aggressive and use his skating instincts to create some more chances and opportunities. As mentioned, with Hutson being the main offensive catalyst and the other low upside d-men who don’t seem to have much framework back there for BU, a guy like Willander and his defensive anatomy won’t compromise being sucked into that type of rambunctious sort of hockey.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Bolded is exactly what makes me like this prospect. He’s a defensive first type of middle linebacker so to speak that has the offensive tools to create plays but focuses on all key defensive situations. A jack of all trades if you will. His skating and defensive awareness are all projectable qualities and certainly meets the eye test as well as the scouting reports.

What I’ve been most impressed is his ability to carry his linemate and cover for their egregious mistakes. BU is a very defensively inept team and are very much run and gun. Willander has brought some stability back there. I want him to be a little more involved in that regard, perhaps play a little more aggressive and use his skating instincts to create some more chances and opportunities. As mentioned, with Hutson being the main offensive catalyst and the other low upside d-men who don’t seem to have much framework back there for BU, a guy like Willander and his defensive anatomy won’t compromise being sucked into that type of rambunctious sort of hockey.
Worth emphasizing how powerplay scoring complicates comparing defensemen. For example, Axel Sandin Pellikka is off to a strong offensive start in the SHL this year, however it’s being driven by powerplay production; he has 4 ES points in 18 games.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
In some ways Willander looks like what Benning thought Juolevi was.

Not incredibly flashy offensively but smart and skilled enough to play with anyone and his primary skill seems to be shutting down rush offense and then turning the puck around with incredible incisiveness and efficiency.

Watched a couple minutes of one of his shift-by-shifts and he stops a shot with his skate and then passes up so quickly for a breakaway that the cameraman was hopelessly behind.

Being able to acquire a puck through sudden means (shot block, stick check) and instantly put it two zones away to a streaking forward is an incredibly rare and valuable trait for a Dman to have. That combo of vision, awareness, and physical skill is possessed by less than 90 D in the league.

I'm not calling him a superstar or anything, but seeing a microskill like that is seriously cause for excitement.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hockey DB lists Willander at 6'1" and 180. But by the time he's 20-21 it's likely that he breaks into the pros in the 195-200 range.

Playing against older players in college will serve him well.....and predicting he'll sign his pro deal after two years in the NCAA.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Hockey DB lists Willander at 6'1" and 180. But by the time he's 20-21 it's likely that he breaks into the pros in the 195-200 range.

Playing against older players in college will serve him well.....and predicting he'll sign his pro deal after two years in the NCAA.

Listed at 191 on Boston Universities’ page

Reactions: Lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad