In Memoriam Tom Larson - TV 38, NESN and WHDH Radio

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

A promise is a promise. Tom Larson, former TV38 Boston Bruins studio host, once said in 1981 that he would not shave off his beard until the Bruins won another Stanley Cup. At the time, it seemed like a sure thing for the powerful Bruins. It was only a matter of time. Turns out, it was a matter of 30 years! When the 2011 Bruins captured the Cup while captivating the city of Boston, many people fondly recalled the Big Bad Bruins of the 70s. A few people didn't let Tom forget his promise.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I always liked Tom Larson. He was professional and, as KPD notes, an even keel presence.

As with other members of the Boston TV sports media -- Gene Lavanchy, Sean McDonough, Kathryn Tappen, Tom Caron -- we were lucky to have them.
I disagree strongly about Caron, but otherwise, I agree. I liked Larson's style. He will be missed.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

A promise is a promise. Tom Larson, former TV38 Boston Bruins studio host, once said in 1981 that he would not shave off his beard until the Bruins won another Stanley Cup. At the time, it seemed like a sure thing for the powerful Bruins. It was only a matter of time. Turns out, it was a matter of 30 years! When the 2011 Bruins captured the Cup while captivating the city of Boston, many people fondly recalled the Big Bad Bruins of the 70s. A few people didn't let Tom forget his promise.

They should’ve gone to a proper barber shop. But as a man, he kept his promise. Remember him as the Bruins studio guy. Professional is all I can think of!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Lanny Lee Larason — known professionally as Tom Larson during a long broadcasting career that included nearly four decades in Boston — died Wednesday in Fredericksburg, Va., of complications from cancer, according to his son, Jeff. He was 84 years old.

Larson, a Missouri native, came to Boston in 1969 as the public affairs director at Channel 38. There he hosted a wide-ranging eponymous talk show while soon becoming a fixture among the region’s sports fans as host of Bruins and Red Sox pre- and postgame programming.

Larson covered a variety of Boston sports while at Channel 38. His son wrote that he was particularly fond of Channel 38′s “Mini One-on-One,” which pitted youth hockey players against each other.

From 1981-88, Larson served as sports director at WHDH radio, delivering reports on “The Jess Cain Show.” In 1983, Boston Magazine named him “Best Sportscaster” in the city.

For a certain generation of Boston sports fans, Larson is best remembered as one of the first familiar faces on the regional cable sports network NESN.

He joined NESN in 1986, two years after it launched, again hosting Bruins and Red Sox studio shows. He also carved a niche as a reporter, writer, and producer for the magazine show “Front Row.”

Larson — who adopted his professional name early in his career, which began at Westminster College in 1960 ― had stops in Bloomington and Peoria, Ill., and Lansing, Mich., before coming to Boston.

He is survived by his five children — Robyn Hanna, Jeff Larason, Michael Larason, Tommy Larason, and VyVy Larason — three grandchildren, and his beloved companion, Micki Costello.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Very sad news. Tom was classy and professional. I saw him coming out of the Back Bay station in Boston one winter evening around 1989 IIRC wearing a white fur coat. One classy gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: Number8 and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tom was a fantastic writer who thrived on a deadline.

He spent many years doing sports at the old WHDH-AM and on that awful Saturday/Sunday after Game 6 at Shea Stadium, he went live at 2 AM which actually became 1 AM, and captured the horror perfectly.

The recording was made by a Red Sox fan in Nova Scotia so it sounds a little fuzzy.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Boy, you sure can tell who the old fans are here!’ Good memories. Bummer it comes at Tom’s expense but I suspect he’d appreciate the love.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
RIP. Great between-periods host, and loved him hosting the Movie Loft on TV38 as well.
Tom did not do Movie Loft - That was Dana Hersey.

Tom started at TV38 in 1969 doing a talk show and on nights the Bruins were on management had him do the postgame even though he knew nothing about hockey.

1700995168148.png

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Tom did not do Movie Loft - That was Dana Hersey.

Tom started at TV38 in 1969 doing a talk show and on nights the Bruins were on management had him do the postgame even though he knew nothing about hockey.

View attachment 773509
Good recall -- and thanks for the correction. I feel like Dana Hersey grew a beard mid-career, and I somehow conflated the two bearded TV38 hosts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad