Tom Kühnhackl what can you tell me of him

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Getting to see him live this season has been a treat! He has solid vision, and hands like you wouldn't believe. I can see him as a top 6 winger in the future, but as for next year, he'll be back here in Windsor playing alongside Kholkachev on the Spits first line!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Someone snagged him just before me in my keeper league last June and I was pissed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Kuhnackl was an import pick by the Windsor Spitfires in 2009 (I believe). He came over from Germany at the start of the 2010/2011 season.

He's a bigger kid, about 6'2 180ish, with good speed and a wicked shot. While he struggled a bit early, getting adjusted to the North American game, he steadily progressed his game. He wound up with 39 goals in 65 or so games and became one of Windsor's biggest threats.

He's known for his nasty slap shot from the face-off circle, and used it several times on the PP, beating goaltenders high glove on more than a few occasions. He also has a nose for the net, scoring the winner in game seven against Erie on a beautiful move in the crease.

What about his physical game? He's not going to go looking for fights, but he'll hit and his frame pretty well. He dropped the gloves once or twice this year, though I remember once for sure when he stuck up for our other import, Khokhlachev, in London (lost the fight, but gained a ton of respect).

Pittsburgh will enjoy him in a few years.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kuhnackl was an import pick by the Windsor Spitfires in 2009 (I believe). He came over from Germany at the start of the 2010/2011 season.

He's a bigger kid, about 6'2 180ish, with good speed and a wicked shot. While he struggled a bit early, getting adjusted to the North American game, he steadily progressed his game. He wound up with 39 goals in 65 or so games and became one of Windsor's biggest threats.

He's known for his nasty slap shot from the face-off circle, and used it several times on the PP, beating goaltenders high glove on more than a few occasions. He also has a nose for the net, scoring the winner in game seven against Erie on a beautiful move in the crease.

What about his physical game? He's not going to go looking for fights, but he'll hit and his frame pretty well. He dropped the gloves once or twice this year, though I remember once for sure when he stuck up for our other import, Khokhlachev, in London (lost the fight, but gained a ton of respect).

Pittsburgh will enjoy him in a few years.

Thanks for the writeup OHLTG, What areas of his game do you think he needs to work on?

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Skating would be one aspect though he isn't slow. He could use improvement on the first steps and it is somewhat choppy.

Defensive play is decent but could improve.

Strength. Once he fills out hes going to be even harder to move off the puck.

He should of been a 2nd round pick last year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Skating would be one aspect though he isn't slow. He could use improvement on the first steps and it is somewhat choppy.

thanks, I imagine if he played in Windsor last year he probably would have gone higher.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
He's got good hockey pedigree too, his father Erich was arguably the best German hockey player of all time and a superstar in the German league.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Was very surprised to see him fall last year. Thought it was a great selection by Pittsburgh.

He's got some great tools at his disposal. Looked out of shape/condition at the start of the year, but really picked his game up as the season went on.

Continued focus on speed/strength will make him a better player. Has a cannon of a shot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

With regards to the bolded part, that's the impression I've got every time I see him try and separate from the opposition defense. Others seem to disagree. I just didn't think he was very explosive with that first stride or two, and that's one area he'll need to improve on.

As for the rest, I agree. Aside from working on the explosiveness of his first couple of strides, he needs to put on some bulk/muscle.

His shot impressed me, both in terms of how hard it is and how accurate it is. It's probably the thing in his skillset that's closest to "NHL-ready".

After this season, I'm much more excited about his potential, however. He's got enough going for him to think he could one day be a legitimate top six winger for the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad