TOI and points

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
I often read about TOI, seeing analysis and conclusions based on either TOI totals or points-per-minute average, which are pretty shallow when you realize you don't really know during which minute were those points scored.

So we have a guy A who scored 120 points playing 20 minutes a night on average and a guy who accrued 140 points playing 25 minutes a night. In theory, the player A was more valuable and productive per minute. The thing is, if the player B scored 98% of his points before the twentieth minute of the game, while his point per minute suggests something else, he was in fact the more valuable of the two.

(We'll never know of course whether or not would the player A have been at his best during his 23rd minute of the game had he ever received such volume of TOI.)

So is there any way (besides the hard way) to compare players points through a certain number of minutes played per game?

This means, not points per minutes average.

It would still be kinda superficial, but also interesting.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I often read about TOI, seeing analysis and conclusions based on either TOI totals or points-per-minute average, which are pretty shallow when you realize you don't really know during which minute were those points scored.

So we have a guy A who scored 120 points playing 20 minutes a night on average and a guy who accrued 140 points playing 25 minutes a night. In theory, the player A was more valuable and productive per minute. The thing is, if the player B scored 98% of his points before the twentieth minute of the game, while his point per minute suggests something else, he was in fact the more valuable of the two.

(We'll never know of course whether or not would the player A have been at his best during his 23rd minute of the game had he ever received such volume of TOI.)

So is there any way (besides the hard way) to compare players points through a certain number of minutes played per game?

This means, not points per minutes average.

It would still be kinda superficial, but also interesting.

I don't know how valuable this comparison is: a point is as valuable when scored in the first shift as it is during the last, more or less.

However, you can parse the shifts data in the TOI report and deduce in which portion of the TOI each player scored the points.

icydata

May 9, 2017
www.icydata.hockey
I don't know how valuable this comparison is: a point is as valuable when scored in the first shift as it is during the last, more or less.

However, you can parse the shifts data in the TOI report and deduce in which portion of the TOI each player scored the points.

I don't think this is entirely true.

When down 7-1 and the losing team scores to make it 7-2 with 10 seconds left, it's arguably not all that valuable a goal to the team as whole.

There are stats that are score adjusted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad