Confirmed with Link: Toffoli has been traded to the Vancouver Canucks.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Yes but he doesnt need to wear a Kings sweater next year, BK and he is 5’11....not 5’9 or smaller.

If he is still 160 lbs within two years, than that’s a problem....a luxury problem.

This says it all. Looks like a nail to me.

Desn3daXUAEDJcX

The 2018 combine was June, 2018, so this photo is Madden 20 months ago. He's surely at least 5-8 lbs more than this now. His dad was an ast coach 3 years for Florida Panthers and then 3 yrs head coach for CBUS AHL team.
I'm pretty certain he's had Tyler on a good training program, in order to increase strength and some bulk. Yannetti said his game kept going higher, higher, higher, from January 18 up until the draft and then after. You cannot be a college Sophomore and be 4th in the nation, without being talented and strong enough to compete at that level. Period. Will he make it? Yes. Will he be a center or wing? Who cares. The Kings have 4 holes in their top 6 and no one
not named Anze who can create offense out of nothing or have vision like some of these top tier talented King prospects.

Reactions: savemefromtears

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'm sorry, but can everybody please STF...U about players who never wore our uniform? Thanks!!!

The great Bud holloway should be the measuring stick by which all players are by. The scale goes from 0.0 to 1.0. 0.0 is nothing like Lord Holloway with 1.0 being equal in skill and talent to Mr. Holloway.

I give Madden a solid 0.83 on the Holloway scale.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Did I fart or was this trade made?

I like Toffoli more than most so I guess I'm underwhelmed. All depends on Madden as a 2nd was a given. Let's hope Madden is an NHL player and they hit on the 2nd.
Player development, on this everything depends.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sorry... But I'm not just going to sit here and let you drag Kopitar's name through the mud like that. Have some respect for one of the greatest LA Kings players of all time.

He 'hasn't made a damn bit of difference on this team in years'???? Really?? You REALLY want to see how bad this team would be without him?? Also, very weird because I seem to remember him being a Hart Trophy finalist and a Selke Trophy winner at the end of 2018. But you're probably right, probably hasn't made a difference on the team in years.

Kopitar is by far the best player on the Kings and he's absolutely not the problem even with his contract. He's not even fading, the team around him is. And he's STILL on pace for yet another 70+ point season. To call him dead money and a wasted asset is so incredibly stupid and disrespectful.

Kopitar is EXACTLY what the Kings need long term while going through this rebuild and will be an incredible mentor to the youth that will be coming up in the next few years. You're seriously underselling the value a player like Kopi brings to the table and the affect he can have on younger players.

I can't wait for him to make you look even more stupid in a couple seasons when we see what he can do when he's surrounded by high end talent.
One of the more telling stats during Kopitar's career is the number of shots on goal he gets during a season. When he is playing well, he gets 200 shots in a season, with around 180 shots being what usually produces and "average" season. This season Kopitar has 116 shots in 60 games. That is not even two shots a game. Not very good. Kopitar is certainly not driving the play this season. To a large degree he is an effort player in the offensive zone, and the effort has not been there consistently this season.

I think you are overestimating the effect Kopitar will have on younger players, and I don't think he will be a particularly good mentor for young players. Why? Because his best effort isn't there on a consistent basis.

Kopitar has had some very talented players on his line from time to time through the years. What usually happens in these instances is he defers too much to his talented linemate.

As an example in the 2014-15 season Kopitar played alongside Gaborik. Gaborik scored 27 goals that season, while Kopitar recorded only 116 shots. Do you think Kopitar made Gaborik better that season? I don't, because if Kopitar would have been driving the net and shooting the puck Gaborik would have had more than the 20 assists he got that season. Meanwhile that year Carter was scoring 28 goals on 218 shots. That is over 100 shots more than Kopitar took that season. Sorry, you aren't going to convince me Kopitar is a great leader. He doesn't impose his will on opponents, or put his personal stamp on a game often enough in my opinion.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Must just be luck and happenstance that Kopitar has 16 more points than his closest linemate that's been glued to his ass all year, or that Toffoli started scoring when moved up with him, or oh f*** it why do i even bother.

The guy on his team doing all the offensive and defensive heavy lifting who will end the season tripling up most his teammates in points while getting keyed on by the opposition and yet beloved by most of the NHL isn't a good mentor for young players. Christ. This really is getting worse before it gets better.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Must just be luck and happenstance that Kopitar has 16 more points than his closest linemate that's been glued to his ass all year, or that Toffoli started scoring when moved up with him, or oh **** it why do i even bother.

The guy on his team doing all the offensive and defensive heavy lifting who will end the season tripling up most his teammates in points while getting keyed on by the opposition and yet beloved by most of the NHL isn't a good mentor for young players. Christ. This really is getting worse before it gets better.

I've given up discussing several topics.

Especially since Kopitar, while not "driving the play" and thus having a poor season, is on pace for 72 points. This would be on par for his average season.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I've given up discussing several topics.

Especially since Kopitar, while not "driving the play" and thus having a poor season, is on pace for 72 points. This would be on par for his average season.

I've just put all of the one note posters on ignore. If most of your takes are focused on a single player and/or his contract, diversify your takes please.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Must just be luck and happenstance that Kopitar has 16 more points than his closest linemate that's been glued to his ass all year, or that Toffoli started scoring when moved up with him, or oh f*ck it why do i even bother.

It's not luck, but is it what we are looking for from a player with a cap hit of $10M a season? I say no.

How does the Kopitar contract fit into the rebuild. Is it in the best interest of the franchise? Probably not.

I suppose you look to the platitudes offered in interviews by other players about Kopitar. I look for the results on the ice. If Vilardi comes in and rides shotgun with Kopitar for a while and improves his game, or there is substantive evidence Kopitar is making Vilardi a better player, I can be swayed in my opinion. I don't think simply having Kopitar on the team is evidence though.

Would I expect Toffoli to score more playing with Kopitar? Yes, of course because Kopitar is better than the other forwards he was playing with previously. Does Toffoli's increased production mean Kopitar is performing the way one would expect with his type of cap hit? Not necessarily.

Comparing Kopitar and Doughty the to rest of the mediocre players on the roster isn't a winning me over.

If the effort is there, why is the shots on goal over the first 60 games so dismal?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's not luck, but is it what we are looking for from a player with a cap hit of $10M a season? I say no.

How does the Kopitar contract fit into the rebuild. Is it in the best interest of the franchise? Probably not.

I suppose you look to the platitudes offered in interviews by other players about Kopitar. I look for the results on the ice. If Vilardi comes in and rides shotgun with Kopitar for a while and improves his game, or there is substantive evidence Kopitar is making Vilardi a better player, I can be swayed in my opinion. I don't think simply having Kopitar on the team is evidence though.

Would I expect Toffoli to score more playing with Kopitar? Yes, of course because Kopitar is better than the other forwards he was playing with previously. Does Toffoli's increased production mean Kopitar is performing the way one would expect with his type of cap hit? Not necessarily.

Comparing Kopitar and Doughty the to rest of the mediocre players on the roster isn't a winning me over.

If the effort is there, why is the shots on goal over the first 60 games so dismal?
What are you looking for from a player with a cap hit of $10M a season? A player who leads the team in every statistical category? Point-per-game? Strong 200-foot game?

There are four other centermen with a cap hit of $9.5-10.5 million. Kopitar has more points than two (Toews & Seguin), fewer points than two (Eichel and Malkin). Is $10 million a year too much for Kopitar? Seems about right. He takes up 12% of the cap limit. Doesn't seem too much for the best player on the team.

In your post you say "Kopitar is better than the other forwards..." That's pretty much right. He's the best player on the team by a country mile. Does he make other players better? Demonstrably yes. Of the 11 players that have shared the ice for more than 100 minutes with Kopitar at 5 vs. 5, only one of them (Hutton) has a goals for % that is worse with Kopitar. Dustin Brown is a good test case. He's played some with (562 minutes) and without (235 minutes) Kopitar. His goals for % drops precipitously when he's not playing with Kopitar. 18 points with Kopitar, 2 points with any other center, total. So yeah, he makes his teammates better.

It's hard to even imagine how bad this team would be without Kopitar. When he went down in 2011, you knew the Kings wouldn't make it anywhere in the playoffs. I can make a good argument that he deserves two Conn Smythes. If you want point at players who aren't pulling their weight, maybe look elsewhere.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What are you looking for from a player with a cap hit of $10M a season? A player who leads the team in every statistical category? Point-per-game? Strong 200-foot game?

There are four other centermen with a cap hit of $9.5-10.5 million. Kopitar has more points than two (Toews & Seguin), fewer points than two (Eichel and Malkin). Is $10 million a year too much for Kopitar? Seems about right. He takes up 12% of the cap limit. Doesn't seem too much for the best player on the team.

In your post you say "Kopitar is better than the other forwards..." That's pretty much right. He's the best player on the team by a country mile. Does he make other players better? Demonstrably yes. Of the 11 players that have shared the ice for more than 100 minutes with Kopitar at 5 vs. 5, only one of them (Hutton) has a goals for % that is worse with Kopitar. Dustin Brown is a good test case. He's played some with (562 minutes) and without (235 minutes) Kopitar. His goals for % drops precipitously when he's not playing with Kopitar. 18 points with Kopitar, 2 points with any other center, total. So yeah, he makes his teammates better.

It's hard to even imagine how bad this team would be without Kopitar. When he went down in 2011, you knew the Kings wouldn't make it anywhere in the playoffs. I can make a good argument that he deserves two Conn Smythes. If you want point at players who aren't pulling their weight, maybe look elsewhere.
I agree. Kopitar is the best player on a team that is next to DFL.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
6’ 190lbs is the new player build for the nhl. The days of your top forward being 6’4” 225 lbs is fading.
Bullshit. If you can find a guy that’s 6’4” 225lb that has skill they will be taken 100/100 over some midget.

sorry I don’t mean to come off combative but the only reason the bigger guys aren’t as popular is because they’re harder to find. 18 year old Joe Thornton will always be >>> 18 year old Johnny Geadreau.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bullshit. If you can find a guy that’s 6’4” 225lb that has skill they will be taken 100/100 over some midget.

sorry I don’t mean to come off combative but the only reason the bigger guys aren’t as popular is because they’re harder to find. 18 year old Joe Thornton will always be >>> 18 year old Johnny Geadreau.

You are right, but 18 year old Thornton’s are rare.

Smaller, faster more skilled players are just being given a chance more with the way the game is played now and the teams who were ahead of that curve are benefitting. I mean a guy like Quinn Hughes might not have gone in the 1st round even 8-10 years ago, and here we are and a 5’9 d-man is having a historical rookie season for a blue liner.

So yes, 6’3 highly skilled players will always be preferred but the days of Matt Zultek, Colten Tuebert and Derek Forbort going in the 1st round over guys like Hughes are long over.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
That was pretty brutal with the game on his stick =/ Was really pulling for him to convert there. It would have been especially cool since we didn't really use him much in the shootout... I guess Vancouver just found out why...

Reactions: Islcey

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
That was pretty brutal with the game on his stick =/ Was really pulling for him to convert there. It would have been especially cool since we didn't really use him much in the shootout... I guess Vancouver just found out why...

Kind of ironic that he could have won the game but Minnesota ended up coming back to take the extra point after his shootout 'attempt'... :nono:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is a bit of a necro but I just wanted to say that I see why so many of you were sad to see Tofu go. He's a great player offensively and doesn't give up much on the other side of the puck either.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
This is a bit of a necro but I just wanted to say that I see why so many of you were sad to see Tofu go. He's a great player offensively and doesn't give up much on the other side of the puck either.

I think you may have it backwards... most of us were actually happy to see him move on; his play hadn't elevated for quite a few seasons.

Like some players who leave the LA organization, some find success in other teams' system.

While this organization is able to churn out goaltenders with ease (big ups Billie Ranford!) this team just doesn't produce scorers.

Even our (2) cups needed the whole team to pitch in with points up on the board while adhering to a strict big and bad defensive system.

Btw Toffoli loves cupcakes! Fun fact: He really doesn't.

321bb007d3ab8ce3095b398759928efb.jpg

Reactions: KINGS17 and Norade

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would wait until you see Toffoli play in a season where he isn't up for a new contract before you pass judgment on the "doesn't give up much on the other side of the puck" portion of his game.

Reactions: Norade

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would wait until you see Toffoli play in a season where he isn't up for a new contract before you pass judgment on the "doesn't give up much on the other side of the puck" portion of his game.

If we sign him to a new deal this offseason we'll see how he does going forward. Right now he has a fire under his ass and is one of our best forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad