Toffoli continues development in AHL as he waits for full-time NHL shot

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

In 2010, the year he was drafted 47th overall by the Los Angeles Kings, Tyler Toffoli scored 79 points. Over the next two seasons Toffoli would go on to earn 208 more points in the Ontario Hockey League, including 108 points in a 50-50 season in 2010-11. A bright future was set for Toffoli as he graduated from juniors in 2012, with his sights on the NHL.

But disaster struck, and the NHL was locked out for the start of the 2012-13 season. There was no September training camp for Toffoli to prove himself NHL-ready. So, Toffoli began the last season in Manchester, NH with the Kings' AHL-affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs.… read more

More...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I just came looking in the Kings section to find out what was up with this guy. Unfortunate that it's a numbers game... but I'd rather see him in the A than playing 7 minutes a game on the 4th line.

Captain Mittens*

I just came looking in the Kings section to find out what was up with this guy. Unfortunate that it's a numbers game... but I'd rather see him in the A than playing 7 minutes a game on the 4th line.

Just admit that you are a Kings fan now and save everyone the 20 questions

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Pens and Leaf fan. But I have him in my fantasy keeper league and was wondering why he wasn't getting icetime.

The answer is obvious, he simply isn't as good as Colin Fraser, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, Daniel Carcillo and Matt Frattin.

You should probably unload him.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
The answer is obvious, he simply isn't as good as Colin Fraser, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, Daniel Carcillo and Matt Frattin.

Man am I gullible. I was about to start calling you names and such for being clueless but alas I get it. Kudos.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I fully support the idea of players filling slots, but I see no reason why that extra forward slot can't be filled by a skill guy rather than a grinder. Personally I don't think that Toffoli has anything else to learn in the AHL, and would benefit more from being around NHL guys learning what it takes to be a pro.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I fully support the idea of players filling slots, but I see no reason why that extra forward slot can't be filled by a skill guy rather than a grinder. Personally I don't think that Toffoli has anything else to learn in the AHL, and would benefit more from being around NHL guys learning what it takes to be a pro.

Agree, but it's because of his contract that allows us to do this. First injury, you will see one of Toffoli/Vey/Pearson. Vey has started with the hot hand so far.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Couple issues with that...

1. Only 2 of those 6 players you listed play TT's position RW, Frattin and Nolan. And I don't think TT is going to be playing on the 4th line.
2. Besides Stoll and Clifford, TT makes more than all those guys.

My personal take is...Toffoli was not good in camp. Pearson shined. Also, Lombardi, and I hate this deal, decided to trade Bernier for players. I would have dealt Bernier for a 1st rather than Frattin, who is now taking up the coveted 3rd line RW spot.

I think it would be better to have Clifford-Lewis-Toffoli rather than Clifford-Lewis-Frattin, because Frattin plays a similar straight ahead game as Clifford.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Couple issues with that...

1. Only 2 of those 6 players you listed play TT's position RW, Frattin and Nolan. And I don't think TT is going to be playing on the 4th line.
2. Besides Stoll and Clifford, TT makes more than all those guys.

My personal take is...Toffoli was not good in camp. Pearson shined. Also, Lombardi, and I hate this deal, decided to trade Bernier for players. I would have dealt Bernier for a 1st rather than Frattin, who is now taking up the coveted 3rd line RW spot.

I think it would be better to have Clifford-Lewis-Toffoli rather than Clifford-Lewis-Frattin, because Frattin plays a similar straight ahead game as Clifford.

I actually agree with Johnny, why put Toffoli on LW or the fourth line.

The Kid is not a LW(Toffoli) never will be. Frattin is not a LW either, and it shows.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Bud Holloway would have been our 2nd line LW who scores 20+ goals right now if DL didn't wait and allowed him to play 3rd line winger.
TT could be next.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bud Holloway would have been our 2nd line LW who scores 20+ goals right now if DL didn't wait and allowed him to play 3rd line winger.
TT could be next.

I don't agree with this. Keeping someone in the AHL 1 extra year won't derail their development. There's always things that they can learn - especially if they're getting prime icetime in the AHL. Now, if they're plainly ready for the NHL, and kept in the AHL for a couple of years... then that's an issue. But if that's the case, you'd have to think that someone would have tried to acquire that player.

I recognize the name, but do not think that leaving Holloway in the A an extra season was the reason he's not a 20g+ guy in the NHL.

Now it's possible that had someone given him the chance that LA didn't, that he could have turned into a 20g guy (see Moulson, etc). But I think you're off track blaming his lack of success on him spending extra time in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad