Confirmed with Link: Toffoli (50% retained) off to Winnipeg for a 2024 3rd and 2025 2nd rounder per Seravalli

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
they used similar packages for mojo/mango/goose and how did they turn out

It must be easy to debate people in your head if you can't keep a logical position.

Cant't be happy with draft picks because they hardly ever turn into players.
Can't be happy trading away draft picks because the player returns might not work out.

Just like all NHL trades, identifying the right asset to acquire is the most important part - but you can add impactful players to your team using 2nd and 3rd round picks

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Huh, weird. Fitzgerald must just be completely incompetent, then. Toffoli must've been a highly sought after player and Fitzgerald just took less for no reason. When you explain it that way, it makes a lot of sense.
now make the same comment after the Allen trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
you mean... a single 3rd round pick? What? Kuznetsov is also a center and has a reputation as a playoff performer, which Carolina is desperate for.
sorry, I forgot most of this place only watches Devils' hockey and has no idea how other teams, let alone players, are performing.

Kuze has been trash for multiple years now. Was finally scratched, put in substance abuse program, and demoted to AHL. Even retained, carries contact risk past this season.

Reactions: Killing Joke

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Except that probably isn’t the ask. I think most of us believe Fitz would absolutely have made that deal if that was the ask. The ask is clearly more and we’ve heard that they have been asking for Nemec or Mercer.
pretty sure the details were agreed upon but the retention ask is what got the deal sunk

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
My fav. comment in all this:

We traded 30-goal pace for picks

Yes. And what good is a 30-goal pace winger doing for us at this point?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He didn't need to do this in NJ, If Toffoli wasn't here it would have made the entire team more versatile in the way it could be moved around. So say Ruff stuck him in the bottom 6 and never gave him a shot in the top 6, fine, he was a fine player down there that wasn't ever a liability and actually could contribute down there, Toffoli couldn't. He could be used on the PK, Toffoli couldn't.

But say he was given another go in the top 6, are there any goals you can point to this year that Toffoli scored, that Shara wouldn't have? If given enough rope, you can even make the argument that with his somewhat better speed and willingness to get into dirtier areas, he could have done better.

No way to say for sure, but to say with 100% certainty that he wouldn't be good here is crazy and just trying to defend something for the sake of it.
If NJ even qualified him, he would have been stuck down on the 3rd for 4th line and done a lot of PK work. He also wasn't getting any more rope, he'd used it all up

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It must be easy to debate people in your head if you can't keep a logical position.

Cant't be happy with draft picks because they hardly ever turn into players.
Can't be happy trading away draft picks because the player returns might not work out.

Just like all NHL trades, identifying the right asset to acquire is the most important part - but you can add impactful players to your team using 2nd and 3rd round picks
yes draft wise super duper rare they turn into anything impactful or even useful.

i'm not happy trading away nhl players for crap picks

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
yes draft wise super duper rare they turn into anything impactful or even useful.

Again, must be easy if all you can see is what you want - I showed a trade that the Devils themselves executed with the round picks that turned into a quality NHL player and you still came back BS about how trades don't always work out.

Guess what - with a salary cap players NHL players are always going to be traded for pick/prospects because they only reason they are being traded in the first place is their team can't afford them long term.

Maybe you should come back when they eliminate the salary cap, then all the illogical complaints you make would actually make sense.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017

It's an NHL player that was likely to be gone at the end of the season being that they couldn't see eye to eye on the contract details

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
sorry, I forgot most of this place only watches Devils' hockey and has no idea how other teams, let alone players, are performing.

Kuze has been trash for multiple years now. Was finally scratched, put in substance abuse program, and demoted to AHL. Even retained, carries contact risk past this season.
lol you're nuts if you think everyone on this board isn't keenly aware of that.

I simply took issue with you saying Kuznetsov's return was similar to Toffoli's, which was clearly more. I think Carolina overpaid for Kuze but that doesn't really affect how other teams (realistically only three teams, and only one of them had cap room) were valuing Toffoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad