News Article: Toews voted NHL's top franchise player by peers

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
In a recent poll conducted by ESPN.com's Craig Custance, a handful of NHL executives, coaches, and players were asked to rank their top-5 franchise players in the league by point value.

No. 1 on that list? Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews.

“He puts my franchise on the map,†one executive told ESPN.com (subscription required). “On a scale of 1 to 10 for his skill, he’s probably a seven. His skating is a six. But his compete is a 10. His hockey sense is a 10. His defensive play is a 10. His character is a 10. His will is a 10. He’ll do things franchise-wise not only to make the guys on the ice better, but to make the team better.â€

Toews voted NHL's top franchise player by peers

Toews must be doing something right to be regarded so highly by his peers and NHL exec and coaches :)

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
What a leech, just look at who he plays with. My great-grandmother would succeed as captain of that team. :sarcasm:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys let that crap bother you. They are jealous of Toews and the Hawks success.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys let that crap bother you. They are jealous of Toews and the Hawks success.
Because it's just annoying and disrespectful to not acknowledge somebody who has great talent when it's right in front of your eyes.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
There is a reason I posted this only on the Hawks board :naughty: However the main board does produce some popcorn worthy material when it comes to Hawks' stars especially Toews.

For the record, Toews was second only to Crosby in the CBC-NHLPA poll conducted in 2012 with a larger sample size

http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/2...-player-would-you-select-to-start-a-franchise

He was first again ahead of Crosby when Spector conducted it during this year's playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toews-surges-ahead-of-crosby-for-now/

TSN also always ranks him very highly.

Toews is universally acclaimed everywhere except the hfboards :D

Last edited:

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
When Toews was injured this team fell and fell hard. Many examples of this.
Toews is not only a leader but a very good player that most teams would die to have.
Furthermore he has very few bad games. Toews is one of the best players in the league!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
There is a reason I posted this only on the Hawks board :naughty: However the main board does produce some popcorn worthy material when it comes to Hawks' stars especially Toews.

For the record, Toews was second only to Crosby in the CBC-NHLPA poll conducted in 2012 with a larger sample size

http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/2...-player-would-you-select-to-start-a-franchise

He was first again ahead of Crosby when Spector conducted it during this year's playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toews-surges-ahead-of-crosby-for-now/

TSN also always ranks him very highly.

Toews is universally acclaimed everywhere except the hfboards :D

In last year's TSN poll (which surveyed reps from 14 teams), Toews was #3 behind Crosby and Malkin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432765

HF heroes Kopitar and Getzlaf were outside the top 10.

It is very difficult for some of the donkey brains that post here to grasp that their talent assessment skills are a bit off...that possibly people who are actually employed by NHL teams know more than they do.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I don't understand how Crosby isn't first, personally. Toews is definitely up there in terms of value but Crosby is always just so far ahead of everybody else in points, and he doesn't even really get much help. I'd still take him first.

But what do I know

Nothingman*

Crosby is the best layer out there. Just funny to watch the main board whine fest about everything Hawks.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I don't understand how Crosby isn't first, personally. Toews is definitely up there in terms of value but Crosby is always just so far ahead of everybody else in points, and he doesn't even really get much help. I'd still take him first.

But what do I know

he doesn't get much help? He's playing with the HF consensus 1b player.... :sarcasm:

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Penguins were a cluster****. Wasnt it almost a mutiny in the clubhouse. Crosby didnt do much for that situation.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
as a leader I expect more from Crosby... that's why I wouldn't trade Toews for anybody in the league.

still don't know why many don't understand that there is more in hockey (or sports) than scoring Goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad