Confirmed with Link: Toews signed to 7 year deal (7.25AAV)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the fact that literally no one that has this surgery has resumed a professional career in any pro sport.
That's so much worse than just that. Even if he 100% recovers from these surgeries (unlikely), he was away from competition for too long.

- Missed the 2nd half of 2021-22
- Came back for the playoffs BUT didn't train once and didn't take part of any practice
- Missed entirely 2022-23
- Missed entirely 2023-24

Unless you're Mario Lemieux you can't miss that much time and just jump back in, shake off the rust and be effective. Especially at Landy's age and mileage.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's so much worse than just that. Even if he 100% recovers from these surgeries (unlikely), he was away from competition for too long.

- Came back for the playoffs BUT didn't train once and didn't take part of any practice

Unless you're Mario Lemieux you can't miss that much time and just jump back in, shake off the rust and be effective. Especially at Landy's age and mileage.

He can

He's a freak, and you should never bet against him.

The end

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m just not that worried about the cap implications of this signing. The great thing about being a cup contender is that there always seems to be an ERod, Drouin, Tatar, etc. that are willing to come play here for nothing because they know what it means for the following contract. It’ll work out.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

A lot of people thought Eichel was done

But yeah, it's not pretty situation, I'd say odds are against our captain. I hope he comes back..

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Still pumped about this signing this morning. My wife is 100% tired of talking about it.
You just need to speak her language. It's like going to the mall and finding possibly a top-15 most functional handbag in the entire place Pockets galore. Zips everywhere. All the frills and tools you could want from a handbag. Except instead of it costing $3000, it's actually only like $2000. You've like totally banked $1000. Amazing deal.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You just need to speak her language. It's like going to the mall and finding possibly a top-15 most functional handbag in the entire place Pockets galore. Zips everywhere. All the frills and tools you could want from a handbag. Except instead of it costing $3000, it's actually only like $2000. You've like totally banked $1000. Amazing deal.
That strategy almost got me a watch I wanted. She actually gave me the go ahead but at the end of the day I'm too much of a penny-pincher and couldn't bring myself to drop a grand on a watch. And that watch is not even close to what is considered high horology, it was a borderline low-end luxury watch.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why? You're assuming Landeskog comes back and even if he does we still would have 3.5 million in space with 9 forwards, 5 Dmen and a goalie signed.

Lehkonen - Mackinnon- Rantanen
Landeskog- Johansen- Nichushkin
Wood- Colton- O'Connor
?- ?- ?

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard- ?

Georgiev

It would be tight but a 4th line, 6th Dman and goalie all signed for 775k each would be $3,875,000 so we would have to clear roughly 400k to be cap compliant.

Manson could easily be moved and we could sign a few solid 4th liners for 1.5m each

So first you disagree with me about a significant contract having to be moved, but then you conclude your post by saying that Manson could be moved to make room... :huh: Thanks for proving my point I guess :laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That's assuming Landeskog comes back though. I hope he does, but unfortunately I don't think he does.
Until he's actually ruled out you have to operate under the assumption that he's coming back and leave $7m open for him. Otherwise you run the risk of being $7m over the cap and needing to pay a tonne of assets to dump contracts.

TheEgg

Oct 5, 2019
someone on the main boards put it in a nice way, imo: Avs will be paying 16,25M for Toews-Makar. aka the best pairing in the league. that is a huge steal, no matter how you try to look at it.
I mean, divide it up, 8mil per player. The 8 mil going to Toews would probably be pretty fair in that case. He is de facto only the second best defenseman on the team so the 9-10mil talked about if he were to go the UFA route doesn't really apply to the Avs I would say...
That said, the 7ish millions he's making with his new contract kicking in is a discount.

But, then the 8mil going to Cale in that case is a huuuuuge discount. Probably by like 5mil. Obviously the case could be made that him and a couple of other players in the league is worthy of max contracts, but being up against the cap it wouldn't be the smartest move, although probably necessary if he asks for it, to give out such contracts.

Girard probably needs to leave, if Bo can stay healthy, giving us two great D-lines of Makar - Toews and Bo - Manson, and one being filled up with minimum or so contracts being 5th and 6th D, playing less in the playoffs but getting us through the regular season.

Great cap management with the cap going up. Well done Mr. Sakic and CMac!

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I don't think you understand what women look for in handbags.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad