Toews points vs Ovechkin goals

Will Ovechkin's career goal total surpass Toews career point total?

• Total voters

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He definitely was something like #3-5 at one point though.
I never believed so, personally. Ovie, Crosby and Malkin were the defacto top 3 for me and the only reason they wouldnt be in particular seasons is only due to injury issues. Also I'm not sure I recall ever thinking Toews was better than Kane which already makes things difficult in a hunt for top 5 players in the league during those times.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I never believed so, personally. Ovie, Crosby and Malkin were the defacto top 3 for me and the only reason they wouldnt be in particular seasons is only due to injury issues. Also I'm not sure I recall ever thinking Toews was better than Kane which already makes things difficult in a hunt for top 5 players in the league during those times.
Don't forget about datsyuk

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Don't forget about datsyuk
Oh, yes. I was a massive Datsyuk fan, great call. Going season by season there was also always a Kopitar, Thornton, Dats, Getzlaf etc etc to fight for top spots in the league and thats just mentioning the forwards. I guess i just was never a big believer Toews was at a level I thought to be top 5 even.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

rogking65

May 13, 2016
not close. went ppg one season only,,,not the resume of a top 3 to 5 player. would be a travesty if he makes HHF. Do not use the intangibles excuse. Without Kane his stats would be worse still. Most overrated player in history of NHL

Reactions: elitepete

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Not even close.

He was a 60ish point center.

The fact that there are people that still believe he was anywhere near the top of the league blows my mind.

There's no stats or eye test that even come close to backing up that assertion. The only reason anyone could even still claim this is by somehow still believing in an extinct media narrative from nearly a decade ago - one that was widely questioned at the time by actually hockey people and that is now universally disproven.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
He never was this and the drive from Canadian media in this respect was hilarious. Doesn't mean he wasn't very good but he didn't produce anywhere close to what constitutes this level of player.

But, but intangibles!

Reactions: elitepete

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's a hard one. Toews' contract expires next year and there's a chance he retires. He has had health issues, he's not the player he used to be, he made a ton of money already and won everything he could win.

I voted no because hockey players are proud guys and I could see Toews signing an extension when the contract expires.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Funny that no one is discussing the actual poll question though.

Toews might retire and we all know Ovi is playing till he gets the record but I’d still bet Toews as he has 824 points right now.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Toews' point totals are irrelevant.

OV's regular season goals, *=goal

********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** **********
********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** ********** **********
********** ********** ********** ********** ********** (and counting)

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Toews' point totals are irrelevant.

OV's regular season goals, *=goal

********** ********** ********** ********** ********** (and counting)
Well that explains Ovi up at 70%:eek:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hard to believe that Toews was actually (wrongfully) considered the best player in the world at one point and people would take him over Crosby

Canadian media really loves their defensive, faceoff winning Canadian centers. Doesn't even have to be Canadian, look at Datsyuk. But Datsyuk was also incredible offensively an a highlight reel waiting to happen.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Canadian media really loves their defensive, faceoff winning Canadian centers. Doesn't even have to be Canadian, look at Datsyuk. But Datsyuk was also incredible offensively an a highlight reel waiting to happen.
It's trendy to hate him now, but Toews was right up there with Sid for the best player in the world at his peak.

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-5_21-40-3.png
    upload_2021-12-5_21-40-3.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Hard to believe that Toews was actually (wrongfully) considered the best player in the world at one point and people would take him over Crosby
Who ever actually considered him the best player in the world?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Who ever actually considered him the best player in the world?

That was a stretch view that I think few people took but winning and other stuff aside from scoring 2 way play, face offs giveaway takeaway ratio and defensive play all contributed for a while to top 3 or 5 overall much like Bergeron at times, at least among centres.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He was definitely up there in the top 5 at one point. Let's not forget how good he was at one point.

Was an awesome player and very clutch in the WJC
Calder Trophy runner up
One of the youngest captains ever
Number 1 center of a 3 time Cup winner
Lead Team Canada in points during 2010 Olympics and voted best forward of the Tournament (we're talking about a best on best tournament here with guys like Crosby and Ovechkin in their prime)

Problem is, his play really fell off a cliff after his wicked start to his career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yikes, this thread is so predictably myopic and boring. Toews seems cooked and done at the moment, but at his peak in the early 2010s he was evidently an amazing player and as elite as they come.

And no, this isn't just something the media came up with. Top notch coaches loved him too, such as Mike Babcock at the 2010 Olympics where Toews was the best player on Team Canada, and outshone all of Crosby, Ovechkin, Sedins, et cetera.

For us who mostly view the game from a camera lens, the eye test also very much supported it. If your eyes were connected to your brain, that is.

Sometimes hard working/hard playing two-way players that doesn't float half of the time, burn out fast. Mike Richards, a similar-ish player to Toews, have been out of the league for 5 years now. And Patrice Bergeron has seen his fair share of injury problems too.

All of these players also played loads of games at their peak, sometimes over 100 games in a year.

It's hard to hustle at both ends of the rink, and produce at a top level, year in and year out. Anze Kopitar's had 4 seasons where he didn't crack 70 points, and his team have missed the playoffs 5 times in the last 7 years. And last time they were out of the 1st round of the playoffs was in 2014.

People talk about Pavel Datsyuk, but Pavel Datsyuk was never Detroit's primary match up center/player, that was Henrik Zetterberg who took those responsibilities. If we look at offensive production in the playoffs, there's also nothing that separates Datsyuk from Toews, in a positive way at least.

I looked at Toews' stats now at hockey-reference and apparently his short-handed production just stopped after the 2015–16 season. Up until that point he had 29 short-handed points (14+15) and after that, the last five years, just two points (two goals). Perhaps that's an indication that he started to burn out as an elite two-way player around that point, sometime after their 3rd Cup.

But, but intangibles!

So anything that isn't offensive production is intangibles? Being good defensively is intangibles?

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad