Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They have press credentials given by the Caps organization.
So do plenty of other worthless hacks that post in obscure wastelands of the internets (for all teams including the Canes, don’t try to spin this as something unique to the Caps). Doesn’t make them any more credible or official.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Hate to see he is getting death threats, but its going to be a tough night for Foegele. Caps players are probably going to make his night a bad one every time he touches the puck.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think they have to start calling these pushes from behind when a player is off balance. I guess the problem becomes diving and players immediately falling down when they feel any sort of pressure on their back. It's a tough situation. You have to protect the players, but you also can't have it turn into basketball.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Hogwash. It’s not like the Capitals are suddenly going to be able to throw a switch in game five, down a key roster player. This seems like a desperate narrative for Capitals fans to tell themselves and will have no actual bearing on the Canes. Sleeping giant my ass.
This post looks real f***ing stupid in hindsight. Looks like they did flip a switch. Actually they look pretty similar to last years run. Huh maybe Caps fans know their team after all.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This post looks real ****ing stupid in hindsight. Looks like they did flip a switch. Actually they look pretty similar to last years run. Huh maybe Caps fans know their team after all.

You don't lose a top-6 winger and get better. Winning a game isn't evidence of flipping a switch, ffs.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Oshie skated with the puck right in front of Foegele. I'm sure he expected to get at least a shove. It was bad luck. I'm sure Oshie would agree.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

So Pesce initiates contact, from an angle where he clearly sees Wilson coming (thus the hit isn’t from behind, unlike Foegele’s hit in Oshie), and is clearly able to brace himself and we’re supposed to see these two incidents as one-and-the-same. Methinks someone needs to get a clue.

Reactions: Drakon

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I was going to say those hits are completely different.

The only thing that makes sense in that post is that it would be a different situation if Oshie wasn't hurt.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I didn't think the hit was that bad, or predatory. Deserving of a penalty, I guess, but I've seen worse go uncalled. Oshie just seemed to get tangled up awkwardly on the way down so he couldn't protect himself. It would suck if it was a broken collarbone. That's 6 weeks.
Yeah I agree more or less. It's a dangerous area and he fell awkwardly but it would be hard to argue intent was present on that one. I think the refs probably made the right call.

This is the type of boarding that gets suspended:

Where the player skates from far and rams a guy from behind or to the head.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
The idiocy of the NHL, where dangerous boarding is a 2 min penalty, and a high stick that causes a lip to bleed is 4 min...

Scramble someone's brain while driving them head first into the boards... no biggie, but bloddy someones nose (which happened to me yesterday because it's dry)... Shame in you!

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah I agree more or less. It's a dangerous area and he fell awkwardly but it would be hard to argue intent was present on that one. I think the refs probably made the right call.

This is the type of boarding that gets suspended:

Where the player skates from far and rams a guy from behind or to the head.

The problem on the Foegele hit was that he clearly extends his arms into Oshie’s back which is the precipitating event in Oshie falling awkwardly. At that distance from the boards extending your arms into someone’s numbers from behind is almost never going to have a good or even hockey-play type of outcome. An injury in that circumstance is practically guaranteed, what differs widely is the extent of the injury; from a simple brush it off to a miss-the-remainder-of-the -Playoffs. It’s undeniably dirty and if Ovi or Wilson makes that hit, from behind, on a Canes player you can guarantee Canes fans would be crying foul.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The problem on the Foegele hit was that he clearly extends his arms into Oshie’s back which is the precipitating event in Oshie falling awkwardly. At that distance from the boards extending your arms into someone’s numbers from behind is almost never going to have a good or even hockey-play type of outcome. An injury in that circumstance is practically guaranteed, what differs widely is the extent of the injury; from a simple brush it off to a miss-the-remainder-of-the -Playoffs. It’s undeniably dirty and if Ovi or Wilson makes that hit, from behind, on a Canes player you can guarantee Canes fans would be crying foul.
Sure of course - there are always people upset about everything. And I like Oshie and it is too bad he is out. I just can't see that play warranting a suspension.

And I think the bolded is hyperbole.

But of course the Caps aren't happy with the hit. It was a bit reckless.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Sure of course - there are always people upset about everything. And I like Oshie and it is too bad he is out. I just can't see that play warranting a suspension.

And I think the bolded is hyperbole.
You can suggest the boldest is hyperbole but you CANNOT argue with the very TANGIBLE and UNDENIABLE OUTCOME which argues against said suggestion.
But of course the Caps aren't happy with the hit. It was a bit reckless.
Responding to hyperbole in kind I see.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Was on vacation so just chiming in now. Clearly a major penalty for boarding, it's basically text book on a vulnerable player and a cross check from behind. I don't really support a suspension regardless of losing Oshie. Saying that, the fact the ref wasn't even going to call a penalty until he saw TJ not getting up is embarrassing for the officials.

Reactions: discobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad