News Article: Todd McLellan

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Q&A: Todd McLellan on being fired, hiring Trent Yawney, his...

"I found it interesting that while you’re looking into players, they are doing the same with you, for instance, Ilya Kovalchuk. Have you had the chance to speak with him yet?
I have not talked to Kovy yet, and that is by design. I’d like to spend time with Kovy face-to-face. I think he’s earned that right with his background and his status as a player. I know he had a miserable year. As did the rest of the group, but he in particular. "

Pretty interesting read to pass the summer along and get some insight. Some info about what kind of philosophy he'd be trying to implement.

Still a bit bizarre that Lisa focused down on the performance of Kovalchuk rather than how pathetic Kopitar and Carter were last season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wildest thing in that article is at the beginning: "Newly minted Kings coach Todd McLellan will have been on the job close to six months by the time they play their season opener on Oct. 5. If you think about it, his time with the Kings will have been longer than the entire tenure of interim coach Willie Desjardins this past season." heh.

Great writeup though.

Kind of an aside but I'm really excited yet curious to see how Trent Yawney gets through to Drew. That seems like a phenomenal match if Drew can check his ego a bit. Yawney doesn't have the rep of a guy who will suffer Drew's emotional outbursts.

Reactions: KINGS17 and Token

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wildest thing in that article is at the beginning: "Newly minted Kings coach Todd McLellan will have been on the job close to six months by the time they play their season opener on Oct. 5. If you think about it, his time with the Kings will have been longer than the entire tenure of interim coach Willie Desjardins this past season." heh.

Great writeup though.

Kind of an aside but I'm really excited yet curious to see how Trent Yawney gets through to Drew. That seems like a phenomenal match if Drew can check his ego a bit. Yawney doesn't have the rep of a guy who will suffer Drew's emotional outbursts.
Neither did players like Sean O'Donnell when Doughty first joined the NHL. O'Donnell still works with the Kings on the ice, but I wonder if he has much influence on Doughty these days.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I finally signed up and it’s a good read. TM seems to have the right mindset and I’m very interested in how he’s going to use Kovi. I’m confident that he will get the best out of him as he’s going to treat the guy with the respect he deserves.

I’m the most excited about the start of a season for 5 years, there has been plenty of positive change and bags of untapped potential.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If TM can get the players back to playing with emotion that will be a huge win. You can't coach emotion into a player, but you can push the right buttons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad