Todd Marchant memories

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
I don't know if this is even a worthwhile thread but I wanted to make it to ask you guys which year it was that Marchant deked some defenseman right out of their jock strap and went in an scored on a breakaway.

I'm not talking about the Game 7 goal against Dallas. I'm thinking of another more spectacular deke from a regular season game. Anyone remember the year and team he did this against? It sticks out as the best deke I've ever seen an Oiler player do. I believe it was on a Saturday night because my buddy didn't have satelite back then.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I don't know if this is even a worthwhile thread but I wanted to make it to ask you guys which year it was that Marchant deked some defenseman right out of their jock strap and went in an scored on a breakaway.

I'm not talking about the Game 7 goal against Dallas. I'm thinking of another more spectacular deke from a regular season game. Anyone remember the year and team he did this against? It sticks out as the best deke I've ever seen an Oiler player do. I believe it was on a Saturday night because my buddy didn't have satelite back then.

I liked Doug Weights 100th point. Ive never seen a prettier goal scored for a milestone.

Cant help with Marchant.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't remember that one, but I do remember left-right-left-right-BOARDS. Hot Toddy missed the net or lost control of the puck on the majority of his dekes. That's what made the Game 7 winner utterly ridiculous.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Yes, Mr. Marchant must have (or at least it felt like) two breakaways a game, that would end up being Goalie Crest. I think any spectacular goals he got were the result of him mis-firing and looking like he meant it.

Not to put him down too much though. At the time the radio station I worked at had the Oiler's rights and the players would come in to talk about their charity causes, or (and this was early-mid nineties Pocklington era) to help sell season tickets.

I'll always remember him coming in with his wife Caroline for a charity event they were hosting. They were both the most down to earth real people I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing. Both were just so genuine.

Not to derail the thread, but those few times I did have the opportunity to chat with them, it really made an impression. It did not surprise me in the least that he became a "veteran" leader for years afterward. The kind of guy that (I would imagine) would always have value in a locker room.

I know he's player development now with Anaheim, but I could see him getting into coaching, or some form of AGM role. Classy guy.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, Mr. Marchant must have (or at least it felt like) two breakaways a game, that would end up being Goalie Crest. I think any spectacular goals he got were the result of him mis-firing and looking like he meant it.

Not to put him down too much though. At the time the radio station I worked at had the Oiler's rights and the players would come in to talk about their charity causes, or (and this was early-mid nineties Pocklington era) to help sell season tickets.

I'll always remember him coming in with his wife Caroline for a charity event they were hosting. They were both the most down to earth real people I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing. Both were just so genuine.

Not to derail the thread, but those few times I did have the opportunity to chat with them, it really made an impression. It did not surprise me in the least that he became a "veteran" leader for years afterward. The kind of guy that (I would imagine) would always have value in a locker room.

I know he's player development now with Anaheim, but I could see him getting into coaching, or some form of AGM role. Classy guy.
This was the case with a lot of those guys back then. I don't know if it's just because the guys on this team are younger and not as mature but today's players seem so different from the players about fifteen years ago.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I liked Doug Weights 100th point. Ive never seen a prettier goal scored for a milestone.

Cant help with Marchant.

Ya his description sounds a lot like the Weight goal against the Flames to me as well.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I was 7 during teh 1997 playoffs.

The Marchant Game 7 goal solidified my fanship as an Oilers fan. I was 7 and i still remember that goal. Amazing.

My recent adult life, it's been a never ending rebuild. I would kill to experience again the cash-strapped gritty teams of the late 90s early 00s.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Does anyone have footage of doug weights 100th point. It was shot on the opposite side as the Flames goal in the clip (so blue line is on left side of screen and net is on the right side of the screen).
I think he dekes out three players circling the o zone and then spots a seam and heads down the middle and dekes goalie. There may have been a give-n'-go just before he cuts down the seam.

I always remember the flames goal but i remember his 100th point tally being the greatest goal id ever seen. To this day it stands as the best goal ive seen for a milestone.

The Oilers used to have a History section on their website with archived footage of a few big moments (Coffeys Orr record breaker was pretty damn nice too) iirc. Unfortunately they dont seem to have that section on the website anymore. ****ting on their past.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Does anyone have footage of doug weights 100th point. It was shot on the opposite side as the Flames goal in the clip (so blue line is on left side of screen and net is on the right side of the screen).
I think he dekes out three players circling the o zone and then spots a seam and heads down the middle and dekes goalie. There may have been a give-n'-go just before he cuts down the seam.

I always remember the flames goal but i remember his 100th point tally being the greatest goal id ever seen. To this day it stands as the best goal ive seen for a milestone.

The Oilers used to have a History section on their website with archived footage of a few big moments (Coffeys Orr record breaker was pretty damn nice too) iirc. Unfortunately they dont seem to have that section on the website anymore. ****ting on their past.

Great goal, the only footage I have is the memory. Would love to see it again.
As I recall we missed the playoffs that season, but it was a time for optimism. CuJo had been acquired at the end of the year, and the city fell in love with him. Marchant was a lot of fun to watch; Marchment provided a couple devastating hits a game; and Arnott and Mironov were up and coming names.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
As I recall we missed the playoffs that season, but it was a time for optimism. CuJo had been acquired at the end of the year, and the city fell in love with him. Marchant was a lot of fun to watch; Marchment provided a couple devastating hits a game; and Arnott and Mironov were up and coming names.

I loved Mironov. Not sure why but I did.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Cujos first game should have been one of the games for our team dvd of ten best games. It should have been best games...not gretzky boring moments...the plain milestone stuff should have been left for his dvd(which every true oilers fan should have anyways). cujos first game was complete insanity and dare i say the most emotional game in the history of the oilers. Through all that trouble and politics and threats and maintaining faith....it was the first game where fans were shown there was light at the end of the tunnel. Most amazingly complex emotional hockey.

Game three of the 97 series...the last ten minutes of that game and into overtime, the pulse of the team working their butts off and then the look on weights face after the first goal and from the celebratomry scrum he immediately checks the clock and pointing at the bench, the only other close insanity moments. If you watched that game you knew the Oilers were in complete control byt down 3-0 with time ticking away. Dougs goal and just his instant complete confidence in the task...looking at the clock and pointing to the bench. Just nuts. Complete domination the rest of the way. Game six momentum swing versus detroit finished by samsonov to hemsky...another one. I am convinced it was hemsky boarded by chelios a whike before that that got the tempo up for the oil to finish the red wings...traded goals then oil tie...then sammy to hemmer who turned chelios into a pylon. Fitting. MacT said after that check...he decided to not protect hemsky from chelios. Hemsky was mad and mact just let him loose every time chelios was on the ice because he knew hemsky was locked in. I think hemsky even gave chelios a glance after the goal lol.

Last edited:

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
The Marchand winner was one of my greatest memories ever, along with the Save and the comeback in that series. The Hemsky and Horcoff winners during the Cup Finals run in 06 were close as well

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I think you're thinking about his rookie season in a game against the maple leafs...I sorta remember that goal. I was thinking at the time, that the Oilers would have their first Calder winner with him.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
wasn't a Marchant fan. other than skating, he didn't have NHL skills. just a super fast kid that was coachable enough to be useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad