Cut/Released: Todd Gurley and Clay Matthews

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's now Gurley, Johnson, and Freeman who have shown why you don't commit big money to RBs. The Steelers (Bell) and Chargers (Gordon) made the correct decisions. Next up it's the Vikings, Saints, and Panthers who will either make a mistake or correct decision.

Reactions: Bob Richards

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Was surprised to read that Matthews had 8 sacks last year. Good productivity although past his prime.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I’d imagine he signs with Tampa. There is a need at RB, he grew up a Bucs fan and is from the southeast (my understanding) , and recently tweeted TB12 GOAT on twitter when Brady signed in Tampa. The only hurdle IMO is the fact that I wouldn’t be comfortable signing him to a substantial contract without proper physical, which is restricted atm..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d imagine he signs with Tampa. There is a need at RB, he grew up a Bucs fan and is from the southeast (my understanding) , and recently tweeted TB12 GOAT on twitter when Brady signed in Tampa. The only hurdle IMO is the fact that I wouldn’t be comfortable signing him to a substantial contract without proper physical, which is restricted atm..
Physicals right now for NFL have to be done by a third party not the team doctors until the virus situation changes.

Gurley likely only a 1 year deal with performance bonuses.

this is why Henry shouldn’t play on the tag.all about getting that second year money guaranteed.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Miami??? Ya that would be just a purely money move which leads me to believe he has no desire to win which leads me to believe he doesn't have the abilities he once had.

He didnt look running the ball last season but his lack of usage in the passing game made no sense.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
That's now Gurley, Johnson, and Freeman who have shown why you don't commit big money to RBs.

Frankly, I feel the same about WR's. Only 1 of the highest paid WR's have won a Super Bowl. They are all more productive than the RB's you mention, but they take up so much cap space, it's harder to fill out your roster if you have a $20 million WR and a $30 million QB. The fact that Mahomes is so cheap is why Tyreke is the one WR on that top 10 paid list.

I think rather than group players by a single position, teams should figure out the proper total salaries for their skill position players. It probably wouldn't matter much the mix of positions as long as you stay at or under that internal number you set.

Reactions: Avs_19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Frankly, I feel the same about WR's. Only 1 of the highest paid WR's have won a Super Bowl. They are all more productive than the RB's you mention, but they take up so much cap space, it's harder to fill out your roster if you have a $20 million WR and a $30 million QB. The fact that Mahomes is so cheap is why Tyreke is the one WR on that top 10 paid list.

I think rather than group players by a single position, teams should figure out the proper total salaries for their skill position players. It probably wouldn't matter much the mix of positions as long as you stay at or under that internal number you set.
When Mahomes gets paid KC will have to move off guys. Kelce isn’t getting another deal from the Chiefs. Watkins is gone when Mahomes signs. They can’t and should not pay for a RB. Probably can afford to pay 1 skill position well. Others on rookie deals or older vets who made money and want a chance to win.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
That's now Gurley, Johnson, and Freeman who have shown why you don't commit big money to RBs. The Steelers (Bell) and Chargers (Gordon) made the correct decisions. Next up it's the Vikings, Saints, and Panthers who will either make a mistake or correct decision.

It feels very weird when you* hope your team doesn't offer a 2nd contract to your favorite player on that team

*Giants fan

Reactions: Avs_19

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yep , im all for anyone who wants to holdout , freaking brutal bizz the NFL is.
Dallas might find out with Elliott.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Gurley will get another gig in short order but it's crazy that he only got halfway through his big deal.
The next one might sting a bit, I can picture lots of incentives built in.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It feels very weird when you* hope your team doesn't offer a 2nd contract to your favorite player on that team

*Giants fan

No doubt. I'm a Vikings fan and I think a Dalvin Cook extension is inevitable based on everything they've said about his importance and how they've built the team. A big extension is a concern for any RB and in his case he has had some type of injury issue in all three seasons so far. Great player when he's on the field but it's far too risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad