Todays Training - Live on MSG - Stream?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
lol hagelin is funny on the ice. "i didnt even know how to take slapshots until college, like my 3rd year and then i saw u take one against us" think he was talking to mcd.

Hehe, sounds like the real Eklund (the old Philly player). I heard a story of how a coach told him after his rookie season that he wouldn't play the next season unless he learned how to elevate the puck when using a slapper. Eklund had a real short stick and always used his wrister, but then they had a contest in which the players competed in from how far away they could hit the plexi glass (IE, I guy with a good slapper can hit the plexi behind the net from his own zone almost, while some struggles to do it from inside the redline even), and everyone noticed that Eklund basically had no clue how to use his slapper. He looked like a 11 y/o trying to learn to shot when he used his slapper. The coach really gave it to him saying stuff like you're playing in the best league in the world and its embarassing kids x age can do what you can't and so forth -- you need to learn how to use a slapper.

The next season in camp the coach threw a handful of pucks on the ice but Eklund failed to elevate the puck and sat out a handful of games before he got out of the doghouse.

I am not 100% if its a true story, but looking at hockeydb Keenan was the coach for Philly back then so it doesn't sound all that unlikely... ;)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000531987.html

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Just watched a bit and yeah, jesus, Nash looks big

Not just big, he was skating so effortlessly. He was also making some sweet passes during the PP practice. It's difficult not to be pumped watching him in a Ranger practice jersey.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Anyone see Gaborik blast that shot over Hank's shoulder? That was ****ing DIRTY.

He is ready.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Such a deceptive shot.

I would describe gabby's shot and release anything but deceptive. he has a great a shot, nothing deceptive about it, unreal release.

it's funny whenever i read scouting reports on upcoming draftees, i always interpret deceptive speed as slow. like pavel brendl's scouting report was always deceptive speed deceptive speed deceptive speed.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I would describe gabby's shot and release anything but deceptive. he has a great a shot, nothing deceptive about it, unreal release.

it's funny whenever i read scouting reports on upcoming draftees, i always interpret deceptive speed as slow. like pavel brendl's scouting report was always deceptive speed deceptive speed deceptive speed.

His shot is crazy deceptive.

Depending on the night, go down behind the glass for warmups and watch him shoot. Most players make a slight motion before they shoot the puck or can get it off their stick, Gaborik does it so quick and with such velocity you have no time to react between when the puck is on his stick, and when its already in the back of the net.

I've played goal for years and in some high level leagues, and his shot is one of the best/most deceptive ive ever seen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Me too. Its like those standard phrases in adds for apartments that always means something else than what it says. Most players that are labelled to have deceptive speed is slow but sometimes manage to step around a D on pure will.

A player like Mats Sundin had deceptive speed in a good sense. Look at like 6.45 mark in this vid:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
when hank stands there and doesn't even drop into his butterfly before the puck is in the back of the net you know the release fooled him. so deceptive is a pretty damn good way of describing it. not a matter of just velocity its release and velocity.

also a goalie so watching him you can tell goalies struggle to pick up the timing of his shots

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Watching this now - pretty interesting. Nash sounds like he's got his head on right in terms of coming to NY and playing for this team.

ray7777

Jan 18, 2013
Do you have a news from Gaborik?.Is he healthy? and he will play on the first or second line?

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad