Today's Slapshot Flyers updated top 5 prospects

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
C'mo. Not worth clicking. The top 5 is: 1- Provorov 2- Konecny 3- Sanheim 4- Tomek 5- Ghost.:help:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Tomek is our 4th ranked prospect? He's rated over Gostisbehere, Morin, etc? That is so off the wall, either you just did that to get attention and web hits, or you know something no one else does.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Goalies just aren't worth ranking until they're well into their 20's.

Take a look at Vasilevskiy or Gibson and tell me if either will ever be a bonafide starter for more than 5 years at this point. I bet you'll be significantly off on your predictions, despite them being two of the most advanced goalie prospects in the entire league at this point in time.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tomek is probably three years away from playing in the AHL. I don't know how you can rank him over other players who have good upside themselves & should be playing in the NHL these next couple of upcoming seasons.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Tomek is probably three years away from playing in the AHL. I don't know how you can rank him over other players who have good upside themselves & should be playing in the NHL these next couple of upcoming seasons.

The fact that I like Tomek is by no means a slight on your other prospects.

Red Line Report had Tomek as the #1 goaltender in the 2015 draft, over Samsonov and Blackwood. Though it is something of a challenge getting film on NAHL prospects, everything I have seen of Tomek proves he is a legit prospect.

I agree that projecting goaltenders amounts to as much dice rolling as scouting. But I don't think my #4 Flyers prospect is going to overwhelm me with hits. My top 3 is probably in line with the rest of the universe.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The fact that I like Tomek is by no means a slight on your other prospects.

Red Line Report had Tomek as the #1 goaltender in the 2015 draft, over Samsonov and Blackwood. Though it is something of a challenge getting film on NAHL prospects, everything I have seen of Tomek proves he is a legit prospect.

I agree that projecting goaltenders amounts to as much dice rolling as scouting. But I don't think my #4 Flyers prospect is going to overwhelm me with hits. My top 3 is probably in line with the rest of the universe.

I get that but I still find it insane. He might not even crack our top 15 community list currently going on. We also have had reports out of our development camp that just took place that stated Stolarz & Sandstrom were better than Tomek.

Unless it's like a Vasilevskiy, Mrazek, Gibson, etc. type of goalie where the potential is high & they're on the cusp of making the NHL I just don't understand ranking a goalie that high.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I get that but I still find it insane. He might not even crack our top 15 community list currently going on. We also have had reports out of our development camp that just took place that stated Stolarz & Sandstrom were better than Tomek.

Unless it's like a Vasilevskiy, Mrazek, Gibson, etc. type of goalie where the potential is high & they're on the cusp of making the NHL I just don't understand ranking a goalie that high.

That's a fair point, indeed. Hopefully, six years from now Tomek will be a stud goalie for the Flyers and I can say I won this debate, ha.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My top 3 is probably in line with the rest of the universe.
Not really. I don't think Konecny is a better prospect than Morin or Gostisbehere, but if you think so, more power to ya. There's no shot he's a better prospect than Sanheim though. Not really close in my opinion.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
My top 3 is probably in line with the rest of the universe.

Not really. I don't think Konecny is a better prospect than Morin or Gostisbehere, but if you think so, more power to ya. There's no shot he's a better prospect than Sanheim though. Not really close in my opinion.

Pretty much what FLYguy said. Maybe you can rank Konecny ahead of Ghost or Morin. But ranking him ahead of Sanheim is very far fetched.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Regardless of how much you like tomek, ranking him above an 11th overall selected behemoth of a defenseman who's game has improved every year since getting drafted, is pretty indicative of the validity of these rankings...

I won't even comment on Konecny above Sanheim...

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Konecny is underrated around here. I wouldn't place him above Provorov/Sanheim but he could very easily be the organization's 3rd best prospect.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Konecny is underrated around here. I wouldn't place him above Provorov/Sanheim but he could very easily be the organization's 3rd best prospect.

It's funny, but the nature of fan perception regarding the draft is closely tied to where a player has just been drafted.

If Hextall traded up to, say, the #12 pick and taken Konecny there (he was rated that high by several scouts and scouting bureaus), Konecny would be held in higher esteem by most hockey fans. The assumption that, because he fell to #24, he can not possibly be an immense all-star talent... well, Flyers fans can ask Claude Giroux about that.

Two of the biggest "fallers" in the 2015 first round were because of injury marred draft-eligible seasons -- Mathew Barzal and Konecny. Having watched several games from the Ottawa 67's season and the CHL prospects game, I saw enough to know that, once healthy, Konecny displayed just incredible talent.

Morin and Gostisbehere have the potential to be very good NHL players. They do not have the game-breaking upside of Konecny. Sanheim has an argument for #2 -- I had him and Konecny ranked very closely.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gostisbehere doesn't have game-breaking potential?

I don't think people are underrating Konecny at all. He's just in a system with some really high end defense prospects.

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
he must never has seen gostisbehere. over the years i never seen nothing like him. its my really first "wow" moment for prospect when i saw frozen four game and last years training camp. he's special. prov/sanheim > ghost >konec/morin > rest..

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hockeypete, I'm not going to argue that Konecny is going to be special I think he's going to be a great player. I just think that what we have is going to give our defenders a chance to shine a bit brighter.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well written. Thanks for posting.

Taking way too much heat.

I disagree with Tomek being near the top 5, & I'd have Sanheim in the top two, but Konecny is certainly a good enough prospect that you could make a solid argument for based on personal opinion.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Well written. Thanks for posting.

Taking way too much heat.

I disagree with Tomek being near the top 5, & I'd have Sanheim in the top two, but Konecny is certainly a good enough prospect that you could make a solid argument for based on personal opinion.

Thanks! I understand how passionate Philly fans are about their team and appreciate their knowledge of hockey. I think it's always tough projecting goalies, but I had Tomek as one of my top 5 sleepers of the 2015 draft. If I would've ranked Gostisbehere in the top 5 the month after he was drafted, Philly fans would have called me crazy then, too.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Thanks! I understand how passionate Philly fans are about their team and appreciate their knowledge of hockey. I think it's always tough projecting goalies, but I had Tomek as one of my top 5 sleepers of the 2015 draft. If I would've ranked Gostisbehere in the top 5 the month after he was drafted, Philly fans would have called me crazy then, too.

Not really. Our prospect pool in 2012 was a fraction of what it is today. Look at those names:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1240921

He finished 6th in our voting and got a bunch of votes for the 5th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad