LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is totally worth a watch....

early notes....

Gartner’s speed and shot are as epic as I remember them....

Koharski - forget the next round is against Schoenfeld and the Devils, “You fell you fat pig, have another donut!“. LOL

Stevens is a beast, Miller too...Miller plays bigger than his stature. Murray Craven runs him from behind and the much bigger guy just bounces off him onto his ass.....Kelly didn’t budge.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
This was great! Thanks for posting. I was becoming a huge Caps fan in the 80s and there was nothing like beating the flyers back then. Dale with 4 playoff OT game winners to date was pretty clutch.
I loved when he took over as coach. The Captain of the team for our 1 and only cup appearance at the time was back. It seemed like a good fit. Disappointing when he resigned. Oh well.
Good memories, but nothing like 6/7/18.

Reactions: 32hunter

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I was 10 rows up behind the Capitals net. So the 2nd period goals and the OT goal were scored in front of me. What an experience

I was at the game as well, 16 year old kid. Pretty much when my love affair with this team began.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I was 10 rows up behind the Capitals net. So the 2nd period goals and the OT goal were scored in front of me. What an experience

Family had season tickets, that series and game was nuts.

Whats crazier ... I was 9 years old. Back then, the intermission for OT was shorter and you could smoke cigarettes right in the concourse. It was just a cloud of smoke every intermission.

I run from my seat after regulation into the concourse and everyone is pumped the f*** up. High fives and people were live. Its the reason we go to live sports.

I go up to a guy and ask to bum a cigarette and he looks at me and then gives me one. My older brother smoked so this wasnt my first cigarette but I was 9, I wasnt a smoker.

A 9 year old smoking a cigarette?
An adult giving a 9 year old a cigarette?

My daughter is about to turn 9 next month ... it blows me away how different life was just 35 years ago (or how rotten I was).

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Three Hall of Famers there, and Hatcher is in the US HoF (not the HHoF in Toronto). How the f*** did that team not win a single Cup?

No elite offensive players and a stacked Pens team imo. We had Gartner, Gustaffson, Ridley, Pivonka, Miller, Hunter, Ciccarelli then Bondra and Kristich (and Im forgetting a few more) but we never had a truly elite offensive player.

Gartner and Gustaffson were the closest we had to true elite playmakers. The others were great players but relied on the play and teammates, they couldnt single handidly take over games or shifts and make things happen.

Penguins with Lemiuex, Stevens, Jagr, Francis etc just skated circles around our lunch pale guys.

We won a ton of regular season games but come playoffs, we just couldnt get out of the first or second round. Ever. One year we made it to the conf finals and Andy Moog stood on his head and shut us down. I think 4-1 or even 4-0.

That was life as a Caps fan. Lots of free jerrys pizza and regular season wins ... but alergic to the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The fancy stats say their goalies were a shade above NHL average in 1988. But I swear someone on here told me goaltending was overrated.

Oh well.

Not sure we'll ever see a D corps with 3.5 HOF's in the top 4 again.
i am not in the goaltending is overrated. one of those Langway teams had a good goalie. An aging Mike Liut.They made the ecf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad