Tod McLlellan is in the final year of his contract.

Will this be Tod McLlelan's final season as the Kings Head coach?

• A. Affirmative Ghost Rider!

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • B. Negative! Negative Nancy!

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
GBH, I love you man, but what does this type of post accomplish? Do you talk to people like this away from the internet? Is it truly necessary to talk like this to get your point across? I don't know about everyone else, but when I see someone typing like this I generally just scroll past, no matter who is posting it. It's just not a normal way of communicating with people. Have you ever wondered why you are the only person here who makes posts in a tone like this? There is a reason for that, just a little friendly advice.

As for the actual content , I think the point that he was trying to make was that the Kings rebuild, which featured six first round picks and eight second round picks between 2017-2021 has not produced results anywhere close to what a reasonable expectation would be for using that much draft capital. None of the four centers taken consecutively between 2017-2020 will be playing C on the opening night roster for the Kings, two of them aren't even in the organization anymore, one of them (a #2 OA pick) was unable to effectively play C and was moved to wing, another one (a #5 OA pick) has been a colossal disappointment basically from day 1 and projects nowhere close to the type of player you expect from that type of pick. The defenseman they used a 1st round pick on they didn't even trust enough to play in the playoffs either of the last two years, preferring players like Troy Stetcher over him.

Of the 8 second round picks, the one who would be considered the most valuable asset was traded (along with a 1st) to fill a scoring hole they couldn't fill with high picks. Another one was basically given away to get out from the CP disaster. Kaliyev has shown flashes but for whatever reason they have been unable to integrate him into a role that suits his skillset. JAD has basically been a AAAA player, a modern day Brad Chartrand type.

The Kings rebuild and once highly touted prospect pool largely turned out to be a flop, and the Kings transitioned to an approach where they acquired older and more established players. People were expecting something more like what Ottawa, Anaheim and Detroit have done, with going forward with young players drafted by the organization, that has certainly not been the case with LA, by any stretch.

When the most impactful player you have drafted over a 6 year period is a defensive d-man you took in the 4th round (great pick, don't get me wrong) that is a pretty big indictment that a lot of your picks were not what was expected.

Yea, pretty much in real life how it is, I don't deal well with stupidity.

Byfield is 21, and we are acting like he's Griffin f***ing Reinhart....
Kaliyev is 24 (somehow that doesn't seem right, but it's what I put) and again acting like he's bum out of the league....

I get it, Byfield isn't Stutzle and Kaliyev isn't Caufield, but f*** man......to write them both off is premature and idiotic.

People are expecting Ottawa, Anaheim, and Detroit? Oh....they expected f***ing losers and losing? Well shit, that explains it then....tell me, what have those three teams done in the past 5-6 years besides jack f***ing shit.....and if you are judging everyone by winning the Stanley Cup, those fan bases are in for a world of hurt, Ottawa staked their claim to Korpisalo...good luck with that, Anaheim has 3-4 pieces, not winning with that, and Detroit...well shit they can't decide WTF they are doing.....but yea, we should expect to be like those teams? Cmon man

The youth cupboard is FAR from bare....that's the point, trying to sell it like it is empty and barren, is stupidity. You might not like how some were traded, or how some have developed so far....but it's not bare.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
You mean the same Korpisalo that started every game for the Kings in the playoffs instead of Copley? Korpisalo is now suddenly worse than the guy he was playing ahead of last year since Copley is the starter for the Kings?
Kings management viewed Korpisalo as the better option in goal than Copley 6 months ago but now the opposite is true?

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
How asinine a take is this? We depleted our youth cupboard???

Per Cap Friendly

Dubois - 25
Lizotte - 25
Grudnstrom -25
Byfield - 21
Kaliyev - 24
JAD - 24
Anderson - 24
Clarke - 20

That's just on the NHL roster....for offseason

Turcotte - 22
Laferierre - 21
Pinelli - 20
Chromiak - 21
Helenius - 20
Fagemo - 23
Thomas - 23
Spence - 22
Bjornfoot - 22
Moveare - 25
Dvorak - 18
Portillo - 23

Yea, f*** our youth cupboard is f***ing bare.....we have 5 guys over 30.....not including goaltenders....include them...7....out of 23....f*** we are old....
And now apply how many of them are or could be impact players.
The purpose of a draft is to set the future of a team with what you need , Every Day Joes you can find at any trade dealine

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Dubois - 25
Lizotte - 25 - 4th line energy guy
Grundstrom -25 - 4th line energy guy (2nd round pick)
Byfield - 21 - been beaten to death elsewhere... not touching it.
Kaliyev - 24 - management has shown no faith in him for 2 years now, why would they start now?
JAD - 24 - a AAAA player at best, that played his best hockey as a rookie and regressed since.
Anderson - 24 - literally THE only draft pick that's worked out under Blake.
Clarke - 20 - let's put a pin in this one until the season starts. His treatment last season does not inspire confidence.

Turcotte - 22 - good when healthy, which is rare. Also see Byfield.
Laferierre - 21
Pinelli - 20
Chromiak - 21
Helenius - 20
Fagemo - 23 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Thomas - 23 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Spence - 22 - legitimately no clue why he isn't or hasn't been on the NHL roster already...
Bjornfoot - 22 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Moveare - 25 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Dvorak - 18
Portillo - 23 - I have zero faith in this group developing a goalie given the recent track record; Hrenak, Petersen, Villalta.

The rest are too early to call and I'm not going to argue.

So two under-performing top 5 picks, a top 6 forward that cost 3 NHL roster players (4 if you count Durzi,) a 4th round pick this current group had limited input on, a handful of bottom 6 players, and a bunch of waiver eligible players still spending considerable time in the AHL are what the Kings have left from a top rated farm system a few years ago?
That doesn't really impress me, at all.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
And now apply how many of them are or could be impact players.
The purpose of a draft is to set the future of a team with what you need , Every Day Joes you can find at any trade dealine

5 on the NHL roster can be impact players, too soon to say on the AHL but there's a good 2-3 there so far

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Dubois - 25
Lizotte - 25 - 4th line energy guy
Grundstrom -25 - 4th line energy guy (2nd round pick)
Byfield - 21 - been beaten to death elsewhere... not touching it.
Kaliyev - 24 - management has shown no faith in him for 2 years now, why would they start now?
JAD - 24 - a AAAA player at best, that played his best hockey as a rookie and regressed since.
Anderson - 24 - literally THE only draft pick that's worked out under Blake.
Clarke - 20 - let's put a pin in this one until the season starts. His treatment last season does not inspire confidence.

Turcotte - 22 - good when healthy, which is rare. Also see Byfield.
Laferierre - 21
Pinelli - 20
Chromiak - 21
Helenius - 20
Fagemo - 23 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Thomas - 23 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Spence - 22 - legitimately no clue why he isn't or hasn't been on the NHL roster already...
Bjornfoot - 22 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Moveare - 25 - waiver eligible, can be lost for nothing
Dvorak - 18
Portillo - 23 - I have zero faith in this group developing a goalie given the recent track record; Hrenak, Petersen, Villalta.

The rest are too early to call and I'm not going to argue.

So two under-performing top 5 picks, a top 6 forward that cost 3 NHL roster players (4 if you count Durzi,) a 4th round pick this current group had limited input on, a handful of bottom 6 players, and a bunch of waiver eligible players still spending considerable time in the AHL are what the Kings have left from a top rated farm system a few years ago?
That doesn't really impress me, at all.

So then your issue becomes quality over quantity, so the issue isn't that there is no youth, it's that you don't like the youth we have....

I love the waiver elgible can be lost for nothing bit though......I mean hell you gonna tell us the winning powerball numbers too? I mean with that kind of forecasting, should be easy...right?

Cost 4 NHL players.....two of which everyone was bitching about (Durzi, and Iafallo) all of a sudden are now allstars.....and 1, is an every day player in Kupari, and one has questions about health......sure.....I guess....I mean f*** when you can't find anything else to bitch about, let's talk about how getting a 25 year old center, for an over paid 3rd liner, a 4th line C in Kupari, who I actually liked, didn't like losing him, and Vilardi who can be healthy can not be......I mean holy christ, Blake can trade a 3rd round pick for Sebastian Aho, and you will still have guys going, WTF....wrong person he should have gotten Makar with that trade, he's brutal etc....

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Lol. I think I hit a nerve.
No I like this prospect pool just fine.

My issue has been and continues to be the mis-management, and lack of development seen across the board with this prospect pool.

Edit to clarify my point: I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to think that the Kings have done a great job drafting, but a horrible job developing and integrating those players into the NHL roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurrilino

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Lol. I think I hit a nerve.
No I like this prospect pool just fine.

My issue has been and continues to be the mis-management, and lack of development seen across the board with this prospect pool.

Edit to clarify my point: I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to think that the Kings have done a great job drafting, but a horrible job developing and integrating those players into the NHL roster.

Lack of development....I mean, sure you can make a slight argument that way given Turcotte etc,

Byfield 1st line LW (yea yea yea, BUT HE WAS DRAFTED TO BE A C,) doesn't matter, he's still 1st line material
Anderson, 1st line LD
Durzi, developed and traded for a 2nd
Vilardi, developed and traded for a top 6 C
Lizotte, developed into a 3rd line C despite his size

Then there are still questions

Kaliyev - by all measures should be top 6, but there are fair questions there in his game and how he's handled
Bjonrfoot - by all measures should be top 4, but same questions and management

Clarke - way too soon

I'm not sure how they drafted well....and then did a horrible job integrating them into the roster, when they are either playing on the roster, or were traded, to get someone on the roster....

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
PLD was acquired because none of the Kings 800 Centers they drafted developed into a 2C... Including Vilardi and Byfield.

Anderson spent a little over half a season in Ontario (53 games,) he came largely developed and NHL ready out of college.

Lizzotte, stepped right into the NHL after being signed. No real development done by the Kings.

Potillo was acquired after both Petersen and Villalta flopped as NHL goalies.

So Durzi and two guys in Kaliev and Bjornfot we agree are being mis-handled? Great... Again not impressed based on the amount of pure talent the team continues to have in the organization.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
PLD was acquired because none of the Kings 800 Centers they drafted developed into a 2C... Including Vilardi and Byfield.

Anderson spent a little over half a season in Ontario (53 games,) he came largely developed and NHL ready out of college.

Lizzotte, stepped right into the NHL after being signed. No real development done by the Kings.

Potillo was acquired after both Petersen and Villalta flopped as NHL goalies.

So Durzi and two guys in Kaliev and Bjornfot we agree are being mis-handled? Great... Again not impressed based on the amount of pure talent the team continues to have in the organization.

Oh dear god bless your heart.....you really think there is no development in the day to day operations of an NHL club?

As far as what you are saying about PLD, so they turned a player that had health issues and according to your own words, development issues, into a 25 year old 2nd line C......and...we are upset about that?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Something about your comments or something, make you seem like a p***y cat.
It was more the idea of don't argue with fools because from a distant people can't tell who is who. I made my point, and won't stoop to snide comments and insults from childish people on the internet like GBH is trying to bait me into. Not getting into a passing contest with him either, so moving on.

Stay classy SN

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It was more the idea of don't argue with fools because from a distant people can't tell who is who. I made my point, and won't stoop to snide comments and insults from childish people on the internet like GBH is trying to bait me into. Not getting into a passing contest with him either, so moving on.

Stay classy SN

Not trying to bait you into anything, but you have some mutually exclusive arguments going on, not completely....

But either LA Kings can't develop talent...ie....Vilardi, Kupari etc.....but then are able to turn them into a 25 year old C with a proven track record, so other teams clearly think they did something right, or have something there, otherwise they aren't trading assets for those players...

Or...other teams are just absolutely freaking morons, giving up assets for players who aren't developed and are apparently past their developing stages according to some in this group....

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Not trying to bait you into anything, but you have some mutually exclusive arguments going on, not completely....

But either LA Kings can't develop talent...ie....Vilardi, Kupari etc.....but then are able to turn them into a 25 year old C with a proven track record, so other teams clearly think they did something right, or have something there, otherwise they aren't trading assets for those players...

Or...other teams are just absolutely freaking morons, giving up assets for players who aren't developed and are apparently past their developing stages according to some in this group....

He already got in its tiger striped EV and drove away...

As for the "passing contest" that's just so next level than a pissing contest, I am out, I know I cant hang.

:cool:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
This is 100% percent supporting my argument and I'mnot sure you understand...

The Kings struggle developing players, full stop.

Vilardi is viewed by Winnipeg as a 2C, Kupari is a future 3C or higher as he's still 23 young with 2 NHL seasons under his belt. Iafallo is a roughly 0.5 PPG player that can fit in almost anywhere on the roster.

The Jets don't want to pay PLD 8.5 million a year.

You replace PLD with Vilardi the others are bonuses that combinef add up to 8.43 million for the next couple years. So Winnipegg got 3 players they think will be better for cheaper than what they gave up.

Winnipeg sees potential where the Kings don't, simple as that. Remains to be seen who is right I guess (would love the Kings to be right.)
Again, I like the Kings prospects pool a whole lot, I really don't like how they've developed under Blake, Todd, Sturm, etc.

The Kings took the known commodity in PLD because they felt Vilardi wouldn't be a healthy 2C and Kupari and Iafallo are expendable 3rd line fodder.

So yeah, this trade does actually make sense in the context of the Kings struggling with development and giving up assets for PLD.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You mean the same Korpisalo that started every game for the Kings in the playoffs instead of Copley? Korpisalo is now suddenly worse than the guy he was playing ahead of last year since Copley is the starter for the Kings?
Kings management viewed Korpisalo as the better option in goal than Copley 6 months ago but now the opposite is true?

Yea, that Korpisalo......he was so goddamn good, they let him walk for nothing.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad