Dreger: Tocchet's Future in AZ "Doubtful"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I originally read the title as Trocheck and thought to myself "yes his future in Arizona is extremity doubtful seeing as he's in Carolina."

Then I read thr title again

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
NYR here's your f***in guy

I wouldn't wish Tocchet on anyone. One of the dumbest coaches of the salary cap era. Possibly a good, non tactical assistant. Awful, awful HC.

His teams are butter soft, inconsistent, and get ass blasted in the 1st period (worst in the league) because he has no idea how to arrange guys tactically or make adjustments. People continually project their feelings about Tocchet the player onto Tocchet the coach, but he's legitimately out of his depth. Has gotten his starting goalie hurt twice now with mismanagement.

Tocchet has so many friends around the league that constantly pump his tires that people actually believe he's a good coach. He's not. He does not develop players in any respect and got worse results the more talent was added to the AZ roster. His teams play exactly the same whether you add Schmaltz, Kessel, Hall or you have a bunch of AHL plugs. It's just garbage hockey.

The Coyotes routinely go 15+ minutes without a shot because he's that clueless. The man has never put in any amount of time as a HC at any other level and it shows.

He fired his assistant, who had the top PK in the league, because said assistant wasn't 'loud enough' in the room with the guys. Replaced him with a friend, who has gotten worse results. Twice now his teams have cratered during the 2nd half of the season.

He should have been fired twice now, but will escape with friends around the league clapping and barking like seals for what an 'amazing' job he did in Arizona. Don't fall for it.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wouldn't wish Tocchet on anyone. One of the dumbest coaches of the salary cap era. Possibly a good, non tactical assistant. Awful, awful HC.

His teams are butter soft, inconsistent, and get ass blasted in the 1st period (worst in the league) because he has no idea how to arrange guys tactically or make adjustments. People continually project their feelings about Tocchet the player onto Tocchet the coach, but he's legitimately out of his depth. Has gotten his starting goalie hurt twice now with mismanagement.

Tocchet has so many friends around the league that constantly pump his tires that people actually believe he's a good coach. He's not. He does not develop players in any respect and got worse results the more talent was added to the AZ roster. His teams play exactly the same whether you add Schmaltz, Kessel, Hall or you have a bunch of AHL plugs. It's just garbage hockey.

The Coyotes routinely go 15+ minutes without a shot because he's that clueless. The man has never put in any amount of time as a HC at any other level and it shows.

He fired his assistant, who had the top PK in the league, because said assistant wasn't 'loud enough' in the room with the guys. Replaced him with a friend, who has gotten worse results. Twice now his teams have cratered during the 2nd half of the season.

He should have been fired twice now, but will escape with friends around the league clapping and barking like seals for what an 'amazing' job he did in Arizona. Don't fall for it.
I vouch for every word of this. 100% accurate.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean looking at that roster ... they don't have the fire power upfront, the fact that he's kept them somewhat close to playoff berths given all their injuries in net on top of that, I don't think he's the worst coach.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Is this a type of person that exists?

tenor.gif

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I mean looking at that roster ... they don't have the fire power upfront, the fact that he's kept them somewhat close to playoff berths given all their injuries in net on top of that, I don't think he's the worst coach.

He caused the injury in net by overplaying Darcy Kuemper. Twice.

Reactions: XX

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He caused the injury in net by overplaying Darcy Kuemper. Twice.

Did he overplay or can Kuemper just not handle the work load of a starter?

Lets be honest, that team is not anywhere close to as talented as say St. Louis ... yet he has them within striking distance of them for most of the year.

If the demand is playoff team minimum then the Coyotes need to get some better talent because that's a tall ask of any coach.

Reactions: Prominence

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Last season Kuemper got injured because he played 17 games in a row. Seventeen. That’s more than a months worth of games. In a row.

And it’s not like there aren’t other capable options like Raanta and Hill.

And then he showed he learned nothing from it because he did the same thing with Kuemper this season. Hill didn’t even get to see the ice til Kuemper was hurt.

This is with the knowledge that Kuemper is his most valuable player and the biggest contributor to the team winning games.

Reactions: Dead Coyote and XX

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Coyotes have two games remaining. For those otherwise unfamiliar, I invite you to watch. What you’re going to see is a coach try to execute a one-play system and fail. And try it again. And fail again. And again. And then again. Bring a book or something because it’s not exactly exciting to watch either.

Reactions: rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This right here. We was great in Pittsburgh as an assistant, but I'm afraid that is as high he should be.
As a Coyotes fan, I’m inclined to agree. He’s so, so popular. Universally liked and praised. People just live this guy. But he’s clearly a terrible head coach. That SCREAMS great assistant coach to me.

As much as I hate John Chayka for how badly he set back the franchise, I honestly think he could have been a fantastic AGM. He just got the top spot way too soon. He kissed off other GMs left and right, and alienated many in his own franchise. He made some brilliant maneuvers and some catastrophically dumb ones. It just smacks of someone with great potential and zero guidance.

I mean, he was allowed to make “his own” pick in a middle round in his first draft as AGM; he went with Conor Garland, a kid he personally believed in. Then there’s Jakob Chychrun, who he had badically tied with Keller when they were picking 7th in his first draft as AGM. He picks Keller and IMMEDIATELY starts trying to trade up every pick after until he finally works out a trade with Detroit involving my a cap dump and gets his guy in Chychrun. The same Chychrun thet Chayka later signed to an amazingly valuable contract that Chychrun is already vastly performing in year one.

Honestly, I think this speaks to the main problem of the Coyotes franchise. Every person in it, has traditionally been one role higher than their ability. Our majority owners often should have been minority owners and our minority owers often should have been just corporate sponsors or season ticket holders, and our GMs should have been AGMs and our AGMs should be departmental directors and our head coaches should be assistant coaches and our 1st line players should have been 2nd line players and our 2nd line players should be 3rd line players, etc, etc. From top-to-botttom.

Rename the team; The Phoenix Peter Principles.

^couldnt be a more apt name in pro sports.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Your team had a -122 goal differential just last year.

One of the teams in this conversation has a top 5 prospect pool in the league and more draft picks in the next two years than any other team in the league.

The other cheated at testing prospects and got stripped of multiple picks, and had no picks last year until round 4, which they used on a guy with known character issues and almost immediately released him.

I'll let you guess which is heading in the right direction and which is heading in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad