Tocchet / Patterson / Barroway Press Conference

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not much interest in this it seems :P

I missed the first 10 minutes or so. Chayka is currently introducing Tocchet. Repeated again the "best candidate by a wide margin" line.

IqumJdc.png

Q&A now:

Sarah is first, asked what wasn't working with previous ownership structure.

Barroway says it was always his dream to own the entire thing and that the previous structure of 10 different voices made it hard to come to agreement (naw really).

Tocchet talks about bringing a fun style of play and personality back to the team.

Cesmat asks about getting a facility done.
- Patterson responds about how he's done a lot of those projects and how they're going to talk to everybody without a predisposition. Says these deals are like vampires and that they always seem dead but come back. Then some platitudes.

Some guy from the AZRep asks what impressed Barroway about the new hires.
Barroway says that Steve is an experienced guy who has the contacts to get a deal done. RE: Tocchet says he related to Tocchet being a Philly guy. Mentions how Tocc is beloved and that players want to play for him.

Follow up Q: Will bringing in Tocchet ease fans minds.

Barroway takes responsibility with what happened to Doan. Says he's confident they made the right hockey decision but that he should have handled the move himself.

Tocchet was asked something I missed: he responds saying he doesn't want to take the sticks out of players hands. Says the young core of players attracted him to the job.

Sarah asks about the Pres of Hockey ops title for Chayka. Chayka says it was mostly about organization structure and not much change.

Tocchet asked about coaching style and the transition to a new coach. Tocc wants to take anxiety out of young players' game and that they won't get beat down over individual mistakes.

Barroway asked about his level of involvement going forward. He says that he wants to be a resource but that he thinks you hire the best people and let them do their job. Says he'll be more public going forward though.

Some dork asks about Tucson as an option for the Coyotes.

Barroway asked about timeline for new arena. Asked if the timeline is extended for getting a new deal done with an arena and potentially extending GRA lease. Barroway says there's no definitive timeline and dodges the extension question. Says that failure is not an option and they will get a deal done.

Barroway asked about how involved he's been in the turnover. He says he was very involved.
Follow up Q about how involved he'll be going forward. Barroway says Chayka is the best GM in the league. Also says he brings ideas to Chayka that he doesn't always agree with and that he will be involved (kinda different from his last answer....).

Patterson asked about how his time at ASU ended. Responds that he thought they made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Kicked off various renovations, increased endowment, improved analytics. Says his goal is to create a great venue and mentions events/amenities other than hockey to create a complete experience.

Tocchet asked about the gambling scandal. Tocchet said he didn't even really come up in hiring. Tocc said they talked about on-ice systems, how to handle vets vs youth. Mentioned that Sullivan was involved in the discussions.

Barroway is asked a follow up about this and says he's the one who did the due diligence on the gambling issue. People make mistakes etc etc.

Chayka is asked what the next item is (build staff, roster, etc). Chayka kinda gives a non-answer. Tocchet is going to lead the search for assistants. Chayka mentions wanted to replicate Pittsburgh's culture.

Patterson asked about criticisms of his tenure at other recent stops for him. He dodges the question :). He says they don't anticipate making additional organizational changes besides filling holes.

Chayka asked about difficulty of hiring a coach during draft/FA period. Said the typical practice of not asking permission during playoffs helped. Seems to have indicated that more candidates than the ones publicly known were interviewed.

Chayka asked about where they stand with the cap/spending going forward. Replies they are taking a long term vision, mentions a lot of guys on ELCs now and that they'd be worth more on the open market. They believe and project some of those will be high end players. Mentions Hammer/Stepan deals as support for young players. Says budget is not an excuse.

Barroway asked about the purported involvement of the commissioner in an arena deal. He replies that they have a great relationship and he's committed to the market and are a big asset. Not terribly specific.

Q&A over, one on one interviews later.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I believe Chayka responded about the gambling issue.

I hated the response about Barroway being involved with hockey decisions.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Does Chayka report to Barroway or Patterson?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah I switched positions with my tablet and phone. Caught pretty much most of it. But will watch it again tonight when I get home

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Does Chayka report to Barroway or Patterson?

Regarding on-ice matters it doesn't sound like Patterson is involved at all other than indirectly. Or if he is that just wasn't talked about.

One thing I forgot to mention was that Barroway did say after he mentioned being involved/pitching ideas that Chayka does have the final say. But how that usually goes is pretty well known :laugh:. I guess it's still better having 1 or maybe 2 Lumbergh's than 10.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Re: Doan.

Sounded like Barroway is still keeping a spot open for Doan in the front office, but they are going to wait and see if Doan decides to play somewhere else. So that is all on Doan at this stage.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Re: Doan.

Sounded like Barroway is still keeping a spot open for Doan in the front office, but they are going to wait and see if Doan decides to play somewhere else. So that is all on Doan at this stage.
Would put a nice bow on things if Doan was brought back in an Asst to Barroway/Ambassador role supporting Patterson's efforts, community relations, etc.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not relevant to today's press conference but just came across this.

Another big contribution from Barroway, who donated $5,000 to Max Domi's GoFundMe.

https://www.gofundme.com/fundrazor-for-diabetes

Dear Max, Congratulations on generating so much awareness by shaving your beard for Diabetes. Please accept my $5,000 donation for your very worthy cause. Sincerely, Andrew Barroway Owner, Chairman & Governor Arizona Coyotes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

His investments must be doing quite well.

Not sure if serious.

Tocc wants to take anxiety out of young players' game and that they won't get beat down over individual mistakes.
\

Pretty funny someone got hired selling this idea. Almost like the DT haters weren't crazy or something... :D

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
The only weak moment of the press conference for me was Barroway's saying he wished he would have flown in to be on hand himself...
Of course he should have. It was not just over looked ...
I guess he had to say something though.
I can't think of any leader at any level that would not have known that some jobs like getting rid of Doan was exclusively his own.
Well, there was one other time when General Longstreet turned over to a young Colonel named Alexander decision making responsibility for Picketts Charge ha
Barroway turning over the responsibility to a 27 year old kid to handle the Doan affair was just wrong.
Maybe he can make amends though and the rest of the press conference and everything else both he and Patterson (who rightly can't say much) had to say was very reassuring....
They did a good job getting me excited about the season, team and sport again.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
"Rick's a guy, he's a nice guy, but he's also going to push. Being a nice guy wears off after awhile" Like after 8 seasons...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think there's a good chance he is fired in year three or four because the pendulum will swing again, but this change is what those kids need to establish themselves.

Encouraged.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This hire is getting better and better in my perspective. He is the exact opposite side of the coin of what we've had. The direction the NHL is heading, I hope he pans out.

The brochure sure looks good now:) I hope it turns out as advertised.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think there's a good chance he is fired in year three or four because the pendulum will swing again, but this change is what those kids need to establish themselves.

Encouraged.

IF that happens then Tocchet and Chayka will be and should be blamed for the failure of this rebuild that as of now, is going as planned. All I know is that I will support this team thru thick and thin. Speaking of supporting this team, how many of you couch potatoes are going to buys tickets for a few games? What are your excuses for not buying tickets?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Failure is better than not trying, which is what another year of Tippett would've been.

I thought the kids progressed very well last year and got better as the year went on. That has to continue this year and next for us to reach the playoffs.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
IF that happens then Tocchet and Chayka will be and should be blamed for the failure of this rebuild that as of now, is going as planned.
Not at all, it might well be overall success that means taking the next step with a new and different coach. Most coaches don't stay indefinitely at their jobs, Jake. There's a shelf life to consider, as well as fit.

I thought the kids progressed very well last year*
Went so well that they fired a coach before his giant extension even kicked in (at the reported cost of $10M). And then they were so happy with the style and progression that they made a wish list publicly repudiating point by pount the prior coach before hiring the anti-HWMNBN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad