Tocchet or Allvin: Who is more deserving?

Tocchet or Allvin: Who is more deserving so far?

• Tocchet for Adams Coach of the year?

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Allvin for Gregory GM of the year?

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Both have been very good but considering the nature of the award I think Allvin is far more likely to win GMOTY than Tocchet is COTY.

Guessing Tortorella gets the Adams.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
a recent poll (athletic?) has Tocchet winning the Adams hands down. which makes me think how much is it the coach for getting the most out of his players? and how much is the GM doing the legwork and tinkering and bringing in the right fit?

So far, its really close and I cannot say who is more crucial for this early season wild success.

I supposed a strong leadership is also very important. Picking Hughes to be captain is such a underrated slam dunk move. He gives me Sakic/Yzerman vibes. Just steely focused at a young age, no nonsense quiet guy that is efficient when he does have something to say.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Its just luck, if we still had Benning and Green we would be in the same spot...

pass-it-to-bulis.benning.green.2648.jpeg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin has been the most active GM in hockey. He's rebuilt the bottom six forward group; and completely re-made the blueline. All without giving up anything in draft capital.

But the guys he's acquired, are all built for 'Tocchet Hockey'. They're as good a shutdown group as the Canucks have had in over a decade.

I don't know if the same NHL has ever won both the GM of the Year award; and the coach of the year award in the same year....But if this keeps up the Canucks could re-write the post-seasons award record book.

Reactions: bh53 and alternate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquilini because he hired both :)
I think if you look back at the chronology of the hiring.....Aquilini hired Rutherford, and then turned the keys to the franchise over to him.

Rutherford then hired Allvin, who then fired Boureau and hired Tocchet. Of course the reason it took almost three-quarters of a season to fire Boudreau, is that it was Aquilini who hired him, and he was too cheap pay for three coaches (Green, Boudreau and Tocchet).

So the fact that Francesco has largely been 'sidelined' is a big reason why this season has been a smashing success do far.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I refuse to fall into the trap of saying which one is worse! Don't want to feed the piranhas.

They are both very good at what they do.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'd say Allvin (by a hair)...namely because he identified what the team needed (along with JR) and executed the plan...and that included what kind of coach he wanted.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Hard to say what happens behind the scenes but I expect Allvin won't win because it will be perceived that Rutherford has had a huge hand in the moves that are being made. Also, it seems like there is more of a team approach in the front office with the AGM's playing big roles as well.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The two clearly work well together. Allvin has been finding the players and Tocchet has largely been getting the most out of them I doubt it's NOT a two-way street.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's pretty close to 50/50.

Also, Allvin hired Tocchet specifically because they knew they needed a coach like Tocchet to do exactly what Tocchet is doing ... so he gets credit for that side of things a bit, too.

This is why I voted Alvin.

Reactions: alternate

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Allvin is a general manager that oversees everything while Tocchet is a supporting staff,
not saying Tocchet is shit but Allvin's work has been way more impressive imho.

Allvins scope of works is significantly broader than Tocchets and he was dealt a shit hand by Jimbo which makes it even more impressive.

Reactions: Kreator

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'd say Allvin (by a hair)...namely because he identified what the team needed (along with JR) and executed the plan...and that included what kind of coach he wanted.
That’s a challenging criteria to use when comparing Allvin and Tocchet.

Is there an award for presidents of hockey ops because I’d give a lot of credit to Rutherford for completely rebuilding hockey ops. Yes, I used the ‘r’ word.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That’s a challenging criteria to use when comparing Allvin and Tocchet.

Is there an award for presidents of hockey ops because I’d give a lot of credit to Rutherford for completely rebuilding hockey ops. Yes, I used the ‘r’ word.
Thats fair..JR is the guy at the top of the food chain.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I am really loving both, but I'm gonna give the slight nod to Allvin for now.

But I really do feel like this is a team effort. Based on everything I've read and heard, both Tocchet and Allvin run things with a community type vibe.

Lots of coaches involved in helping the team learn systems and practice, lots of front office peeps and scouts working together to help identify trade targets etc.

We feel like an organization that works in lockstep, and that's such a beautiful thing to see after 10+ years of the opposite.

Reactions: Raistlin

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
a recent poll (athletic?) has Tocchet winning the Adams hands down. which makes me think how much is it the coach for getting the most out of his players? and how much is the GM doing the legwork and tinkering and bringing in the right fit?

So far, its really close and I cannot say who is more crucial for this early season wild success.

I supposed a strong leadership is also very important. Picking Hughes to be captain is such a underrated slam dunk move. He gives me Sakic/Yzerman vibes. Just steely focused at a young age, no nonsense quiet guy that is efficient when he does have something to say.

He's doing a great job for sure happy to have him. Torts has done great work with a less talented Philly group as well so not sure if it's so cute and dry.

Either ways we're in a good spot with Tochett at the helm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad