Tocchet Gone or Playoffs?

Would you rather.....?

• Make the playoffs and extend RT for 3 years

• Miss the playoffs and let RT walk on May 9th.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think the line of thinking that Tocchet may simply walk away because he does not like the direction of the organization, or the build of the roster, is hilarious. Who the hell does he think he is?

I'll tell you what I think - I think Tocchet is so glad to have a steady job as a head coach that he would put pen to paper on any contract Armstrong gives him. Tocchet isn't Tippett. Tippett is an irascible, stubborn guy who would gladly quit and go build motorcycles somewhere if he doesn't get his way. Tocchet seems to me like a guy who invested a lot of effort into getting a job for which he knew he wasn't the top candidate, and is now digging in his heels and using every spin-doctor trick he can find to hold onto it.

Reactions: lanky and rt

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I refuse to play this game. I think Tocchet is done regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not.

I voted for making the playoffs, as I can never vote for hoping to lose games. But this poster said it better than me.

Given his record, you'd have to believe RT wouldn't be brought back if we finish 5th or worse.

Having said that, it's just not in me to publicly threaten to boycott the team or start rooting for another city's team if it doesn't happen. Well, except maybe Tampa as that's where I'm from (but I get to do that every summer anyway)... Despite how much time I spend here, that's just not my bag. (Heh, that might be the one thing I have in common with Doan - valuing loyalty over success :) ) Besides, I can't imagine there's any HC we have a realistic chance of getting that would make me think "wow, we're gonna be *sooo* much better now", until the roster improves. Maybe even any HC we have an unrealistic chance of getting.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'm not voting on a false dichotomy no matter how you spin it. The most important decision-maker regarding Tocchet's future with the team is Armstrong, and nothing he has said has indicated what his decision is. I'm also not concerned with Meruelo's feelings about Tocchet as next to nothing comes out about Meruelo's feelings, and as far as I recall he liked Tocchet well over a year ago now. He's been owner under two years, so it's not like we have any feel for how long he sticks with liking some one. Armstrong was hired to lead this, and I have no reason to not believe he'll be ultimately deferred to.

It's become obvious that Tocchet was going to coach out the remainder of the season for a long while now, and my leading theory is that Armstrong will go with his own guy after the season/playoffs. I think it's most likely that his leading candidates were not available in season, and he does not think promoting any of the current assistants to head coach would have been an improvement over Tocchet when it's possible the team could garner a little bit more revenue and experience if they can pull off the playoffs, so he's been fine keeping Tocchet as head coach.

There's a bit too much obsession with the idea that the team making the playoffs means the coach stays and gets extended, and thus the only way out is for the team to miss. Just wait for Armstrong to make the decision when the time is right rather than assuming the sky is falling each day that passes and an immediate solution has been put forth.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Technically still in 4th, but with 3 games in hand, the Blues have a better pt%. What might save us is that 7 out of our remaining 10 games are against the California teams. Still, it would be nice if we could beat Minnesota tomorrow.

upload_2021-4-20_7-36-13.png

cobra427

May 6, 2012
FWIW I think we could swap out Tocchet with Gallant and make ZERO roster changes and see a good bit of improvement. Like a lock for 4th in this division and potentially 3rd, and not this hovering around 4th and usually slipping to 5th stuff.
I agree, with a good coach, we would get 10 more points out of this team, solidly in and challenging Minnesota as well. We wouldn't get killed by Colorado/Vegas either. If we pick the right coach, I can see this team improving like it did when Tip took over from TGO. Hope we find out next year.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Technically still in 4th, but with 3 games in hand, the Blues have a better pt%. What might save us is that 7 out of our remaining 10 games are against the California teams. Still, it would be nice if we could beat Minnesota tomorrow.

View attachment 424511
The big question is will the lingering effects of COVID slow down the Avs in their games against the Blues. Not COVID positive and actual game shape are two different things. Could be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad