Tocchet Gone or Playoffs?

Would you rather.....?

• Make the playoffs and extend RT for 3 years

• Miss the playoffs and let RT walk on May 9th.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
You have to pick one. Playoffs and RT gone are not an option. Just because you vote playoffs, doesn't mean RT will complete the full 3 years.

Yes, we still have a legitimate playoff chance, even with a 5 game losing streak. We have won 3/4 of our games against the Cali teams and they constitute most of our remaining games. Plus, the Blues have a tougher schedule.

I want a new coach and to make the playoffs, but if forced to choose I'll take the post-season for several reasons:

1. Winning culture. We have a core group of players that are likely to remain with the team and winning breeds more winning (in theory anyway :naughty:).

2. Playoff experience. Even if we get smoked by the Avs in the first round, the experience will benefit the team for future playoff runs.

3. The Coyotes are my team and my DNA doesn't permit me to wish for anything but success.

4. Alternate theory: perhaps RT is not the problem. I don't think we are there yet talent-wise to be a serious contender. But who knows, if BA turns out to be a great GM and builds a roster of studs, maybe RT IS the guy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I mean, does anyone even want to make the playoffs and face the Avs? Regardless of Tocchet? Are we pumped to live through that again? Do we have even a glimmer of hope that it does go down the same way?

Reactions: moosemeister

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'd say it's 50/50 that we miss the playoffs and RT is extended anyway...the "Craig Morgan argument."

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd say it's 50/50 that we miss the playoffs and RT is extended anyway...the "Craig Morgan argument."
If you forced me to put my life savings on one of the following:

1. Make, Extend
2. Make, Walk
3. Miss, Extend
4. Miss, Walk

I'd choose number three. Miss the playoffs, and he gets extended anyway. Gun to my head, if I had those four outcomes to pick winner, that's the one I'd go with. It's by far the dumbest. It's by far the most infuriating. Therefore, it's by far the most likely.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I mean, does anyone even want to make the playoffs and face the Avs? Regardless of Tocchet? Are we pumped to live through that again? Do we have even a glimmer of hope that it does go down the same way?

We have 5 pts against the Avs...there's always a chance.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm not sure the case for "playoff experience" is even good in context. This is a team full of mental midgets and if they suffer back to back embarrassments by Colorado, it'll leave some serious mental scarring on the younger guys. I mean shit, we actually look worse against Colorado this season, so they sure as hell didn't learn anything from the last series.

More destruction at the hands of Colorado versus firing Tocc into the sun. Gladly take the latter.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure the case for "playoff experience" is even good in context. This is a team full of mental midgets

Possibly, but could also be the argument that a different coach would not have achieved better results.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I refuse to play this game. I think Tocchet is done regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not.

I agree. I think BA has already decided. The only thing that might force his hand to reconsider is a deep playoff run...which is rather unlikely.

The poll is designed to gauge the level of dislike for RT. But I don't understand the viewpoint of missing the playoffs to avoid being embarrassed. I ALWAYS want my team in the playoffs, for many reasons. It's very common for an 8 seed to upset the 1 seed. A blowout loss in the first round is not a certainty.

Regarding RT, here's an alternate theory: perhaps he's already been offered an extension but turned it down.

Reactions: lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree. I think BA has already decided. The only thing that might force his hand to reconsider is a deep playoff run...which is rather unlikely.

The poll is designed to gauge the level of dislike for RT. But I don't understand the viewpoint of missing the playoffs to avoid being embarrassed. I ALWAYS want my team in the playoffs, for many reasons. It's very common for an 8 seed to upset the 1 seed. A blowout loss in the first round is not a certainty.

Regarding RT, here's an alternate theory: perhaps he's already been offered an extension but turned it down.
Sneaking in with a losing record and an awful goal differential two seasons in a row because of whacky pandemic scheduling just isn’t a point of pride for me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I refuse to play this game. I think Tocchet is done regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not.
I agree. This team is a bubble team, we need more talent, like most teams, but I think the team under achieved. Sure some of the kids have taken the next step, but the team was not prepared on many nights, there were no in game adjustments, get out shot most games, terrible PP, etc. and and the problems we have today we have had for the last number of years. Teams can have bad years in a certain area such as PP but not for years on end. This, in my way of thinking, is coaching.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't want this team to make the playoffs. They haven't deserved it.

Now that I don't have season tickets, I have a much clearer view of long term stuff. If I still had my seats I'd want them in no matter what because it'd mean more hockey for me. But without that - and without even being able to see the games at all except by nefarious means - I have a different outlook.

To me, playing Half-Assed Hockey(tm) the way the Coyotes have played most of the year should not be rewarded with a post-season spot. The only reason they're even close is because of the shortened schedule and the NHL's loser point. "But Mr. The Feckless," you say, "look at the years that some of these guys are having!" Why yes! Some of the players are having career years, and others are having resurgences... but situationally, they're folding like soggy playing cards under a barbell. Kessel getting his 16th goal last night after the game was already long lost is a great example of this.

And miss me with the whole "IF THEY MAKE IT IN, THEY GET VALUABLE PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE" argument. Screw that. All of the guys who are going to be back next year got that last year when they got absolutely ****-punched by the Avalanche. I feel like it's equally valuable for them to realize that, hey, if we play lazy and disinterested and turtled, we might not actually get that shiny participation trophy we expect.

If all this sounds prickly and cynical, then good, because that's what I was going for. I'm not getting any younger and so, unlike a lot of you, I don't have the patience or (possibly) the longevity to wait for the team to blossom 10 years down the road. This is the NHL, not a development league. I want the team to reap the questionable rewards they merit for being mediocre, and then I want the people running the team to make us less goddamned mediocre. Step one in that process is getting rid of Rick Tocchet.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't want this team to make the playoffs. They haven't deserved it.

Now that I don't have season tickets, I have a much clearer view of long term stuff. If I still had my seats I'd want them in no matter what because it'd mean more hockey for me. But without that - and without even being able to see the games at all except by nefarious means - I have a different outlook.

To me, playing Half-Assed Hockey(tm) the way the Coyotes have played most of the year should not be rewarded with a post-season spot. The only reason they're even close is because of the shortened schedule and the NHL's loser point. "But Mr. The Feckless," you say, "look at the years that some of these guys are having!" Why yes! Some of the players are having career years, and others are having resurgences... but situationally, they're folding like soggy playing cards under a barbell. Kessel getting his 16th goal last night after the game was already long lost is a great example of this.

And miss me with the whole "IF THEY MAKE IT IN, THEY GET VALUABLE PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE" argument. Screw that. All of the guys who are going to be back next year got that last year when they got absolutely ****-punched by the Avalanche. I feel like it's equally valuable for them to realize that, hey, if we play lazy and disinterested and turtled, we might not actually get that shiny participation trophy we expect.

If all this sounds prickly and cynical, then good, because that's what I was going for. I'm not getting any younger and so, unlike a lot of you, I don't have the patience or (possibly) the longevity to wait for the team to blossom 10 years down the road. This is the NHL, not a development league. I want the team to reap the questionable rewards they merit for being mediocre, and then I want the people running the team to make us less goddamned mediocre. Step one in that process is getting rid of Rick Tocchet.
10,000 likes. I nominate you for President of HFBoards.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
And that's the P% - LOL. His W% is 0.431 - Haha
I just check his all-time, combined W% as HC of the Arizona Coyotes....it's 0.431 HAHAHAHA

His career Coyotes HC W% is 43.1% and that's the EXACT same as this season. Progress? I think not. Haha

EDIT: For anyone wondering, it's the FIFTH worst W% in the NHL over that span.

And for this season because it's such a wild fluke of a season due to division play, it happens only to be the 10th worst W% in the NHL.

FYI - My prediction at the beginning of this season was that we would be the 10th worst team in the NHL. I appear to be dead-on at the moment.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think the line of thinking that Tocchet may simply walk away because he does not like the direction of the organization, or the build of the roster, is hilarious. Who the hell does he think he is?

He must know someone wants him. Seattle? Why haven't they hired Gallant already? Risky to just leave him sitting there.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad