Proposal: To Vegas Edmonton 1st , Pouliot and Fayne for

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know Vegas is looking for first to take on contracts . I think a first is too much to pay for Vegas to elect Pouliot . So I purpose .

To Vegas Edmonton 1st 2017 , Edmonton 3rd 2018 , Fayne and Pouliot to Vegas Vegas 2nd in 2017 to Edmonton

To break it down . Vegas agrees to select Pouliot in exchange they trade their 2nd round pick in 2017 for Edmontons 1st in 2017 . Vegas would also have to agree to take Fayne last year for Edmonton 3rd in 2018 .

Thoughts ? Fair or not ?

Oct 18, 2011
So Edmonton gets rid of two bad contracts and only has to sacrifice about 10 draft slots.

I'm sure GMGM can't wait to do it

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pouliot is probably the best player the Oilers have available to select anyway. Others might be more appealing due to contract, but if I'm PC, I don't do this and hope that Vegas just chooses to pick Pouliot. Which isn't impossible, if Vegas chooses to select defensemen and goalies over good forwards from some of the other teams who have multiple options available.

I don't see any scenario where Mark Fayne is not playing for Bakersfield next season though. Nobody will want his contract, and he actually could be a good guy to have around for our many rookie and sophomore AHL d-men that we should have next year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So Edmonton gets rid of two bad contracts and only has to sacrifice about 10 draft slots.

I'm sure GMGM can't wait to do it

Pouliot had a down year because of injuries . His 2 pervious season he was worth his contract . He is also still a useful player . Fayne has one year left on his deal which is nothing for an expansion team to eat . Plus there a 3rd ...Not much but it is still something for a expansion team to built up their prospect pool

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I know Vegas is looking for first to take on contracts . I think a first is too much to pay for Vegas to elect Pouliot . So I purpose .

To Vegas Edmonton 1st 2017 , Edmonton 3rd 2018 , Fayne and Pouliot to Vegas Vegas 2nd in 2017 to Edmonton

To break it down . Vegas agrees to select Pouliot in exchange they trade their 2nd round pick in 2017 for Edmontons 1st in 2017 . Vegas would also have to agree to take Fayne last year for Edmonton 3rd in 2018 .

Thoughts ? Fair or not ?

Not fair to Vegas.

Look at the actual draft positions that you are talking about exchanging in this deal.

Vegas gets #22 in 2017 and something in the 80's in 2018 from EDM in exchange for #34 in 2017? Price to move up 12 spots from early 2nd to the tail end of the 3rd quarter of the 1st round?

Fayne, $3.625 cap hit, with $3.5 in salary.
Pouliot, $4 cap hit per year, with $4 in salary.

So, upgrade 12 spots in draft from #34 to #22 in a draft where draft lists will vary a lot at that point in the draft plus a pick in the 80's in 2018 to add $11.625 million cap space and $11.5 million in salary over 2 years?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why do the Oilers do this? You don't need Vegas to take on Fayne, do you? He has 1 year left and isn't going to hurt the oilers if you guys get rid of Pouliot.

Why should Vegas take both of those players and give away their 2nd? Does't seem that fair for them just to move up less than 15 spots.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
No interest in Pouliot but I'm actually one of the (likely) few Knights fans interested in Fayne. There's not going to be a lot of good RD available in the expansion draft, and Fayne can eat some minutes in the Top 4. He's only got one more year left on his deal, and I'd imagine he might play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after having to spend the last season in the AHL.

My question is what would EDM give us if we took Fayne in the expansion draft? Draft pick or Tyler Benson-type prospect? :dunno:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Las Vegas is a brand new hockey team in the desert. When you see the kind of struggles Arizona is having in terms of finance, it becomes very apparent that NHL contracts are REAL MONEY. The Knights aren't going to be your 'get out of jail free' card for ****** hockey players.

The Oilers will have both of those guys on the roster next season. Guaranteed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Really Pouliot has 2 years left @ $4 million per each.

Fayne has 1 year left around $3.625 million.

I hardly call them bad contracts enough to to be willing to surrender the #22 overall pick for. Edmonton's not really in position yet just to surrender picks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Really Pouliot has 2 years left @ $4 million per each.

Fayne has 1 year left around $3.625 million.

I hardly call them bad contracts enough to to be willing to surrender the #22 overall pick for. Edmonton's not really in position yet just to surrender picks.

We can just bury Fayne in the minors, we don't need to dump his contract. It would be nice to get rid of Pouliot, but not at the expense of a draft pick. I'd rather buy him out next summer than give up a pick to get rid of him. We are pretty thin in terms of prospects and will need decent ELC players coming in sooner than later with big contracts for Drai and McDavid coming.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We can just bury Fayne in the minors, we don't need to dump his contract. It would be nice to get rid of Pouliot, but not at the expense of a draft pick. I'd rather buy him out next summer than give up a pick to get rid of him. We are pretty thin in terms of prospects and will need decent ELC players coming in sooner than later with big contracts for Drai and McDavid coming.

Yep i agree with what you're saying here, You can easily bury Fayne because i doubt any one would take him off of waivers. And then like you said you can buy out Pouliot next summer that makes far more sense then giving up a #22 pick and other picks just to get Fayne and Pouliot off the books here. Don't really see quite yet that Edmonton should be surrendering decent picks here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yep i agree with what you're saying here, You can easily bury Fayne because i doubt any one would take him off of waivers. And then like you said you can buy out Pouliot next summer that makes far more sense then giving up a #22 pick and other picks just to get Fayne and Pouliot off the books here. Don't really see quite yet that Edmonton should be surrendering decent picks here.

Exactly. PC has set it up so the best player we have available to Vegas is Pouliot. The only other options are Brossoit (who they won't want b/c he will need to clear waivers next year and have the chance to get at least a half dozen more proven goalies), Khaira (who is good enough to get a call up but not good enough to get a playing spot apparently), Reinhart (who they may take just based on his lower contract and play this year), and plugs - guys like Fayne or Iiro Pakarinen. He isn't going to go out and burn picks to make sure that they take plug A over plug B. He'll just work with whatever they take.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That makes no sense. Vegas' 2nd is 34th, EDM's 1st is 22nd. So they are taking on almost 8M this year and 4M next year while also not being able to select who they really want from EDM to move up 12 spots in the first round? Don't even get me started on the 3rd rounder added in, this reads like a proposal where people overcomplicate it to try and obfuscate how one sided it is.

EDM 1st+those two bad contracts for future considerations seems a lot more realistic and even then I am not sure. I am guessing they'd probably prefer to have Oilers 2018 1st instead as it is supposedly a deeper draft and 22 is already a pretty low 1st rounder. Risk/reward of taking the 2018 pick would be in Vegas' favour.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That makes no sense. Vegas' 2nd is 34th, EDM's 1st is 22nd. So they are taking on almost 8M this year and 4M next year while also not being able to select who they really want from EDM to move up 12 spots in the first round? Don't even get me started on the 3rd rounder added in, this reads like a proposal where people overcomplicate it to try and obfuscate how one sided it is.

EDM 1st+those two bad contracts for future considerations seems a lot more realistic and even then I am not sure. I am guessing they'd probably prefer to have Oilers 2018 1st instead as it is supposedly a deeper draft and 22 is already a pretty low 1st rounder. Risk/reward of taking the 2018 pick would be in Vegas' favour.

What if what they really want is Pouliot? Then Vegas gets a 1st rounder for a 2nd and taking Mark Fayne.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You guys can retain 2M on Pouliot and I'll take him on the Rangers. You can have Klein in return.

How was Klein's play this season? I'd probably do this, but it would have to wait until after the draft because we don't have enough forwards to trade Pou and still meet the NHL requirements for the number of forwards we would need to expose. And no, we won't take Glass to fill that role. :laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How was Klein's play this season? I'd probably do this, but it would have to wait until after the draft because we don't have enough forwards to trade Pou and still meet the NHL requirements for the number of forwards we would need to expose. And no, we won't take Glass to fill that role. :laugh:

Thankfully, Glass is a UFA next season.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Not fair to Vegas.

Look at the actual draft positions that you are talking about exchanging in this deal.

Vegas gets #22 in 2017 and something in the 80's in 2018 from EDM in exchange for #34 in 2017? Price to move up 12 spots from early 2nd to the tail end of the 3rd quarter of the 1st round?

Fayne, $3.625 cap hit, with $3.5 in salary.
Pouliot, $4 cap hit per year, with $4 in salary.

So, upgrade 12 spots in draft from #34 to #22 in a draft where draft lists will vary a lot at that point in the draft plus a pick in the 80's in 2018 to add $11.625 million cap space and $11.5 million in salary over 2 years?
:laugh: No GM is going to look at it like that

Cap Hit would be 7.65 this year and next year Fayne drops off. The 2nd from Vegas is way too high so it should be a 4th or lower

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Glass is an expiring contract. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad