To sit or not to sit??

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Leafs have nothing to play for after Leafs clinch the playoff spot; is it wise to start sitting some core players (Rielly, Hainsey, Andersen, Marleau ...)?

SCHEDULE:

Mon, Mar 26, vs Buffalo

Wed, Mar 28, vs Florida

Fri, Mar 30, @ NY Islanders

Sat, Mar 31, vs Winnipeg

Mon, Apr 2, vs Buffalo

Thu, Apr 5, @ New Jersey

Sat, Apr 7, vs Montreal

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
If we win tonight, its all but mathematically assured we are in... Under that assumption.

I would say that you probably let Freddy start March 28, 30 and April 5... Let Mac start the other three.

If it were me I would definitely rest the experienced D-men as much as possible (Gardiner, Hainsey, Polak). Forwards, I don't think it matters as much since outside the top line ice time isn't usually a big issue. I would maybe work a night or two off for Marleau, Kadri, JVR, Bozak... Some of the older guys that tend to play tough minutes.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
sitting is just gonna do more damage they already get a 4-5 day rest after regular season. More than that the player is gonna get rusty, timing off, etc.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
No. Maybe one extra game for Andy besides the back to back he will miss, that’s all.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd only sit if there are any Marlies they'd like to observe with the big club that they wouldn't be able to work into the lineup otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBeL13f

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sit everyone.

A big advantage for us that we aren't using.

Fatigue = injuries and losses.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think they need to give Sparks or Pickard a look so even though McBackup is actually McShutout this is maybe the right time. Agree about Hainsey and Pollock. They are the only two I might genuinely rest. The Leafs give their forwards so few minutes none of them should be tired. Matthews isn't at his A game again yet, but he needs to play to get there so assuming he is 100% healthy they need to run him heavy until he hits his level again. It might be a good time to play the crap out of some guys like Brown and Plekanec to get them producing like they can. Or even ... Leivo? Connor Brown got 7 games his first taste so it might also be time to send AJ back down and give Aaltonen and Timashov a look. Justin Holl?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They should be pretty rested, haven't played a lot of games lately.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I prefer Andy when he gets into a groove. He doesn't seem to respond well to time off. See: Octobers, recent return from injury.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You can guarantee there are no players that would like to sit if healthy.

well that's the thing.
like. they want to play
you want them in a groove, and hammer out a lot of the inconsistent play.

not "rest"

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don’t want guys getting rusty. For the players with above average injuries/soreness, sit them the last game or two, but not more than that.

We want guys totally locked in from the first puck drop in game 1, we can’t afford any “getting back into the groove” time against either the Bruins or Lightning.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would defintely have McBackup playing a fair amount of these games.

None of these are particularly high stakes and against bottom feeders. Keep Andersen as rested up as possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad