To Protect or Not to Protect: Red Wings Expansion Draft Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I can't believe anyone is worried about losing Ouellet. From what I have seen, he is at best a 6th defenseman on a weak team. 7/8/9 on a good team. He is not a good skater, not physical, and doesn't provide offense, he is just so average at everything.

While he improved quite a bit from, 15-16 to last year, he still is nothing exciting, and really shows how weak a defense, we have, that him and Jensen are in the lineup.

For me its more about the possibility of losing a bad contract than losing XO.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If Detroit protected Ouellet, Vegas would take Sheahan. If they protected Sheahan too, Vegas would take Nosek or Sproul or Coreau. The bottom line is that Vegas isn't going to take a bad contract for free when other teams are lining up to pay them to do the same thing.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, if there was never a cloud in the sky.

This still the Dekeyser vs Smith offensive upside debate? I've lost track of who is arguing what.

It's kind of a silly debate. These guys are 27/28 years old, in their absolute prime for defensemen, both with a little over 300 career games..... and both average near 20 points per 82 games. There's not really any offensive "upside" left. These guys are who they are. Dekeyser moves the puck a bit better, Smith carries the puck a bit better. Neither is going to suddenly put up 40 points in the next few seasons. Offensive upside? We may as well discuss who has more defensive upside between Nyquist and Tatar while we're at it ;)

As for Dekeyser, it would depend on who else on the Wings was exposed, but I doubt Vegas would take him if he were.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I can't believe anyone is worried about losing Ouellet. From what I have seen, he is at best a 6th defenseman on a weak team. 7/8/9 on a good team. He is not a good skater, not physical, and doesn't provide offense, he is just so average at everything.

While he improved quite a bit from, 15-16 to last year, he still is nothing exciting, and really shows how weak a defense, we have, that him and Jensen are in the lineup.

On a team with no star defensemen (other than maybe Green, but only in an offensive sense) and a couple who are massively injury-prone, Ouellet carries some nice value for the Wings. I won't be broken up if he gets picked, but it would be a bit disappointing, given who else is on our roster (and no, I don' believe Vegas would take any bad contracts, including Dekeyser). Ouellet is cheap, plays smart, and is indeed physical.... he's not a bruiser, but he's the only guy we have who plays tough in front of the net and gets opposing forwards to think about him out there (RIP previous iteration of Kronwall).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
XO is a ho hum guy who I think could be great in a bottom pairing role and hold his own on the second pairing if necessary.

He isn't a huge loss, but I would be disappointed if he was picked up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On a team with no star defensemen (other than maybe Green, but only in an offensive sense) and a couple who are massively injury-prone, Ouellet carries some nice value for the Wings. I won't be broken up if he gets picked, but it would be a bit disappointing, given who else is on our roster (and no, I don' believe Vegas would take any bad contracts, including Dekeyser). Ouellet is cheap, plays smart, and is indeed physical.... he's not a bruiser, but he's the only guy we have who plays tough in front of the net and gets opposing forwards to think about him out there (RIP previous iteration of Kronwall).

Which is why I am disappointed DeKeyser was not left available. If he was picked getting out from under his deal would be great. I don't think they were going to pick him regardless and quite frankly I think DK could have used the shot across his bow at this point. He hasn't improved in two years, I hope he is busting his tail this off-season.

Really the whole Michigan boy camp should be pounding the gym right now, plenty to run through there in terms of monumental disappointments last year.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is there anyway in hell they take helm from us

Also with that news does that mean it's green, dekeyser and kronwall/jensen

I think there's a good chance they take Helm. Versatile player who can play C and they'll need that as few Cs will be available who have the experience and can give them stability up the Middle as a 3C but can move him anywhere really. It will be Vegas' weakest position and Helm is easily one of the better all around players who can play C in the ED. His contract will not play a role in them taking or not taking him.

Think they'd take Helm or Abdelkader if both are unprotected. If they take Abdelkader, I can see them flip him to Pittsburgh quickly and retain a little if need be. He's the exact type player Rutherford was talking about to play w Crosby and he's already proven he can play that role well.

Worse case is they take XO. He's solid and got better each month of the season. He's never going to be flashy but in two yrs from now when he's a 4, people will be angry they let him go.

To many times fans expect D to come up and be what they're going to be in 2 years within a week. Guys that come in and make a splash are rare. That's what was so impressive in regards to Jensen this year. Fully expect XO to be a pretty good D by this time next year.

It'll be interesting.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah

Why does every team think the expansion draft is about their team losing a bad contract? Why would LVK take one of our bad contracts without a huge compensation? Come back to reality, please.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why does every team think the expansion draft is about their team losing a bad contract? Why would LVK take one of our bad contracts without a huge compensation? Come back to reality, please.

They need to take some without compensation (unless a lot of teams pay them to take it).

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
They need to take some without compensation (unless a lot of teams pay them to take it).

No, they don't, they will have tons of choices. There are going to be a ton of players available. They don't need to take bad contracts, they can just take not so good contracts to meet the floor. Or they can just sign RFAs/UFAs. They aren't backed into a corner.

Lets be honest, even if the do have to take a bad contract or two, it won't be ours... They are going to take Sheahan or one of our 5/6/7/8 defense, none of which are bad contracts. And none of which I will lose sleep over!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think they take Sheahan if he has been left unprotected. If protected I think there is a decent chance they take Helm. There are not going to be a ton of quality forwards available, especially centers. I'd be shocked if they took a damn from us because there should be much better ones available.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No, they don't, they will have tons of choices. There are going to be a ton of players available. They don't need to take bad contracts, they can just take not so good contracts to meet the floor. Or they can just sign RFAs/UFAs. They aren't backed into a corner.

Lets be honest, even if the do have to take a bad contract or two, it won't be ours... They are going to take Sheahan or one of our 5/6/7/8 defense, none of which are bad contracts. And none of which I will lose sleep over!

I mean. Howard is a not so good contract but it's a terrible contract for us. Same with Ericsson at this point. Abdelkader and helm are bad contracts and they might choose helm

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Detroit protected Ouellet, Vegas would take Sheahan. If they protected Sheahan too, Vegas would take Nosek or Sproul or Coreau. The bottom line is that Vegas isn't going to take a bad contract for free when other teams are lining up to pay them to do the same thing.

They might not and your right

But they won't for sure when you don't try and force their hand a bit

Detroit's HAS the MOST BAD contracts in the league of players too old, too injured, too long, too expensive, etc

If Vegas takes Nosek so be it but you try and get them to take a helm or dekeyser if you can instead.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011

If we protected Sheahan and XO leaving both DDK and Abby exposed LVK would have had the choice of Ericsson, Kronwall, Glenny, Abby, Helm, Howard, DDK and the rfa scrub (sproul, frk, etc). From that group I believe they would have selected Helm.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If we protected Sheahan and XO leaving both DDK and Abby exposed LVK would have had the choice of Ericsson, Kronwall, Glenny, Abby, Helm, Howard, DDK and the rfa scrub (sproul, frk, etc). From that group I believe they would have selected Helm.

This

I can't fathom how anyone can't see the writing on the wall

No we can't decide who they take but we can influence who they can't take and impede who they can

Expose all bad deals plus our over age Griffins.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Agree, I think the worst that could have happened there was they take Nosek/Sproul over Helm. That is it. GMGM wasn't going to take DeKeyser or Abdelkader in my opinion. But we had a chance to basically leave out there a long contract that doesn't help with our current rebuilding state.

I mean I guess if we want to lock in a top 5 pick we should be excited he seems intent on protecting guys like DK and Abdelkader they are how we got where we are in part.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Agree, I think the worst that could have happened there was they take Nosek/Sproul over Helm. That is it. GMGM wasn't going to take DeKeyser or Abdelkader in my opinion. But we had a chance to basically leave out there a long contract that doesn't help with our current rebuilding state.

I mean I guess if we want to lock in a top 5 pick we should be excited he seems intent on protecting guys like DK and Abdelkader they are how we got where we are in part.

Many writers say XO not protected and will be gone.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Can we all just be happy that the expansion draft wasn't a few years ago? I mean because we all know holland would have protected Dan Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad