To Graf or not to Graf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
I've been playing with Graf 705 for the past six years now, overall I could say they are great pair of skates as for comfort, durability and lightness nothing but top quality. Obviously after six years the sign of wear is noticeable. I'm thinking to buy new skates, the G series, leaning towards G5. So, are the G5 worth to look at or simply replace my old 705 for a new one?.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
i use the 703 series and when my old ones were finished i look high and low for another pair.i like the g series but when i tried them on it felt alot different from the 703 .maybe u should just staywith the 705 , they r out there just gotta look for them , even if they r a dicontinued model.

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
I've had my 705 waves for about 5 years now and love 'em....had to get used to the arch since they were a lot different than the Nike's I had before. If i were you I'd keep yer 705s over the G's

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I've been looking at the 727's. Any input on those from anyone? I skate really low and need the forward flex. My 2nd choice is the 705's though so I'm interested in feedback also.

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
the G series durability issue was on the early production with the perforated steel blades if you get the holders with the solid steel you'll be fine

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
If you skating style is low with a foward flex I would say 705 is your best bet. You should looking into custom radius, it improved my skating by far.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
If you like graf's made you should look at the Mission s500! They have a very similar feel (flex points, etc) to them and are very high quality unlike some of the graf's you see around (mismounted holders etc)!

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
the custom radius does it really help?everyone one i knoe is getting it done, but i havent .ive been getting my skates sharpened the same way for 25 years and as u get older u get set in your ways.but what difference does it really make and is it worth it?

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I love my 703's. Obviously they are a different fit then the 705's but the same skate.

If you are happy with them and you like the boot, why not stick with them. The G5's are lighter, alot lighter. They are the same fit as the 705's too.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
How can someone figure out what is the best skate fr them depending on the lie or pitch and their skating style? Is there any chart out there that classifies the skates according to these parameters? Thanks for your help.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Steelhead16 said:
I've been looking at the 727's. Any input on those from anyone? I skate really low and need the forward flex. My 2nd choice is the 705's though so I'm interested in feedback also.
They were a boot build for their roller line-up when they first came out. I haven't had much experience with users, but the few I have seemed to like them.

-_-

Feb 9, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Just to let you know....

First, the G5 is a better skate than the 705... and both have the exact same fit !!!! The weight is the biggest difference between the two skates... the G5 being ligher of course. Why ? The outsole, the materials used and the holes in the blade (in my opinion it's better to have a blade without holes... holes are crap...) Also, the stiffness is pretty much the same for both model... it shouldn't influence your choice betweeen the two (both have the same stiffness, pretty much... the G5 isn't stiffer, thats false beleive me). The interior is also very differente between the 705 and the G5... in the G5 the interior is a little bit more confortable...

I would say to go for the G5 if you have the bucks for it... if not stick with the 705 it's still a VERY good skate (but don't go with another brand... Grafs are the best skates as long as they are properly fitted)

2nd, the 705 isn't a discontinued skate ! That's false... the only discontinued models are : all the 600 serie (625,609), the 727 (a skate made for people with a strong ankle, they offer no support at all, a good skate for people who like their skates almost untied (open ? unlaced ? sorry for my english), and the 502.

Difference between the 727 and the 705... well they are two very differente kind of skate... almost the complete opposite ! The 705 is a regular fit skate, regular achille tandon (spl ?), regular heel, regular ankle volume. While the 727 is a wider fit... wide ankle, ankle volume and achille tandon... so I don't know who fitted you but he didn't do an excellent job !

If you live in the Montreal region, go to l'Artiste du Patin in Brossard... it's an excellent store with a qualified squad (I've work in many stores specialized in hockey, skates etc... and it's by far the best store I know). I know the owner personnaly and she is an increadible human being. She knows her stuff, she cares about customers, she's a hard worker... she's also giving power skating lesson and she has giving course to the women Salt Lake olympic team which won the gold... trust me the store is something. + They have the whole Graf skates line and they don't mind ordering if it's necessary !

Hope this post will be usefull for most of you !

If you have any question PM me, It will be a pleasure to answer your questions !

If you live in the

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
-_- said:
Just to let you know....

First, the G5 is a better skate than the 705... and both have the exact same fit !!!! The weight is the biggest difference between the two skates... the G5 being ligher of course. Why ? The outsole, the materials used and the holes in the blade (in my opinion it's better to have a blade without holes... holes are crap...) Also, the stiffness is pretty much the same for both model... it shouldn't influence your choice betweeen the two (both have the same stiffness, pretty much... the G5 isn't stiffer, thats false beleive me). The interior is also very differente between the 705 and the G5... in the G5 the interior is a little bit more confortable...

I would say to go for the G5 if you have the bucks for it... if not stick with the 705 it's still a VERY good skate (but don't go with another brand... Grafs are the best skates as long as they are properly fitted)

2nd, the 705 isn't a discontinued skate ! That's false... the only discontinued models are : all the 600 serie (625,609), the 727 (a skate made for people with a strong ankle, they offer no support at all, a good skate for people who like their skates almost untied (open ? unlaced ? sorry for my english), and the 502.

Difference between the 727 and the 705... well they are two very differente kind of skate... almost the complete opposite ! The 705 is a regular fit skate, regular achille tandon (spl ?), regular heel, regular ankle volume. While the 727 is a wider fit... wide ankle, ankle volume and achille tandon... so I don't know who fitted you but he didn't do an excellent job !

If you live in the Montreal region, go to l'Artiste du Patin in Brossard... it's an excellent store with a qualified squad (I've work in many stores specialized in hockey, skates etc... and it's by far the best store I know). I know the owner personnaly and she is an increadible human being. She knows her stuff, she cares about customers, she's a hard worker... she's also giving power skating lesson and she has giving course to the women Salt Lake olympic team which won the gold... trust me the store is something. + They have the whole Graf skates line and they don't mind ordering if it's necessary !

Hope this post will be usefull for most of you !

If you have any question PM me, It will be a pleasure to answer your questions !

If you live in the

Small world!!! I finally bought the G5's after all, and guess where l'artiste du patin à Brossard, Lorraine was a great help. It was between Frases Sports or Joe's Sports but they didn't have my size. WOW!!!, it such a light skates and the fit, just like a slipper. As for custom radius I have 15' at 1.5mm pitch. Some say 15' is too much blabe on ice surface but as a foward I need that extra metal for that explosive push off or sprint. Well, hope this pair will last another 5 years. Expensive! yes, worth it! every penny... :)

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
EazyB97 said:
How's your turning with a 15?

To do quick or sharp turn on a 15 is at the heel of the blade. For instance, a right turn I would lean to the right having not all but most of my weight to the back of my skates. Due to having more than usual metal on ice surface, a sharp turn is like putting on the brakes. As for cross-over I haven't notice the difference between a 9, 13 or 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad