Salary Cap: TML Salary Cap - Forward edition

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I was taking a quick peek at Capfriendly and looking at the expiring contracts. Looks like we're going to have one year of overlapping with Marner and Tavares' current deals, and Matthews and Willie's new deals. Based on how Willie is playing, I don't see him getting anything less than $9M, Matthews' next deal probably starts at $13-14. Bunting will need a deal also. The amount of cap gymnastics that are going to be needed will be really something.

Subtractions like Simmonds, Kerfoot and Engvall will help but they're pretty minor in the scheme of things.
Really hoping the cap goes up and goes up fast...also hope more Toronto born guys are willing to take the league minimum deal like Gio. ;)

How do you see this play out? What does JT's next contract look like?

1670807562679.png

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The cap will also continue to rise during this period, and is slated for a considerable jump sometime in the next couple seasons.

If the Leafs want to keep the core together,.they really only have one particularly tight year when Nylander and Matthews potential raises overlaps with Tavares/Marner and then they'll get some breathing space.

Tavares likely takes a considerable haircut to stay with the team.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Maybe this time Marner and Matthews dont take everything they can to make the team work and JT goes to about 4-7 mil depending on years and Nylander is around 8x8

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They are projecting

23-24 83.5
24-25. 87.5
25-26. 92.5

They may smooth it out instead of 1 4. 5. To 3 3 4 increases

There is pretty easily enough room to fit in Auston marner willy.

They may have to cheap out on fillers for a year. Take a step back but it’s easy to keep the core

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Maybe this time Marner and Matthews dont take everything they can to make the team work and JT goes to about 4-7 mil depending on years and Nylander is around 8x8
Nylander will not be 8 mil a year and you can thank marners contract I don’t see him taking less than 9 tbh would love to be wrong but either way we can’t lose any of those three

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I was taking a quick peek at Capfriendly and looking at the expiring contracts. Looks like we're going to have one year of overlapping with Marner and Tavares' current deals, and Matthews and Willie's new deals. Based on how Willie is playing, I don't see him getting anything less than $9M, Matthews' next deal probably starts at $13-14. Bunting will need a deal also. The amount of cap gymnastics that are going to be needed will be really something.

Subtractions like Simmonds, Kerfoot and Engvall will help but they're pretty minor in the scheme of things.
Really hoping the cap goes up and goes up fast...also hope more Toronto born guys are willing to take the league minimum deal like Gio. ;)

How do you see this play out? What does JT's next contract look like?

View attachment 620094
Year after next, when the new deals for Matthews and Nylander kick in, we will also be out from Muzzin's 5.5 and Brodie's 5.0. That will give a lot more flexibility.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
With Tavares I would sign him to a 2 year deal after his contract. I wouldn’t want to long on term with him. Then take it year by year.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Tavares I believe will want to end his career here and if that's the case he doesn't really have any leverage in negotiations if he wanted to get as much as possible. having said that I think he will start taking sweetheart deals till he retires, essentially what I see is Nylander and Tavares contracts swapping.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Tavares will take a massive paycut by the time his contract comes up. 3-6 million.

Marner and Matthews will take something similar to what they have now, after learning what it takes to get a cup and how a few extra left on the table truly could help them get over that hump (unless we win a cup between now and then, all bets are off in that scenario)

Nylander will get a substantial raise because he has truly outplayed that contract and deserves his payday.

I still beleaf we can make this team work and with the cap going up considerably we will be laughing.

There is a chance I'm wrong and they go after every penny, and if thats the case the cap gymnastics just won't work.

But i do really believe Marner and Matthews leave more on the table this time. They've seen what having a little more depth can do, we do miss Hyman.

Reactions: saffronleaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
With Tavares I would sign him to a 2 year deal after his contract. I wouldn’t want to long on term with him. Then take it year by year.
Yep, and the way his play has been deteriorating I don't think his next contract will be more than $4M per.

Tavares I believe will want to end his career here and if that's the case he doesn't really have any leverage in negotiations if he wanted to get as much as possible. having said that I think he will start taking sweetheart deals till he retires, essentially what I see is Nylander and Tavares contracts swapping.
I can see Nylander getting $11M, but I don't see JT anywhere close to $7M.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs were to win the Stanley Cup before his contract expires, Tavares could play the next five years for free and still come out ahead.​
Of course, he can't do that, but having already made his nut with this contract, his 35+ seasons don't need to bankrupt the Leafs to work to Tavares' advantage.​
If he retires as Leafs' captain, or at least gets to carry the Stanley Cup around the ice before handing that over to Matthews, then the better the Leafs do the better he does in this town for the rest of his life.​
The endorsements and business opportunities would never end.​

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
I guess that's down the road considerations though... what do you guys figure Bunting's next contract will look like? He had a great first season in Toronto but is only sitting on 5 goals so far this year which could give Leafs some leverage in the negotiations... I think something along the lines of Kerfoot's 3.5m per would suffice but honestly, who knows with Dubas' uhh negotiating skills. Speaking of Kerfoot, should Leafs even keep him? I'd be ok with retaining the guy but def. not at 3.5m/per. If he wants a raise, go get it elsewhere... that contract coming off the books combined with Muzzin's likely retirement (or at least LTIR) would give Leafs some decent cap space to spend for a change.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I guess that's down the road considerations though... what do you guys figure Bunting's next contract will look like? He had a great first season in Toronto but is only sitting on 5 goals so far this year which could give Leafs some leverage in the negotiations... I think something along the lines of Kerfoot's 3.5m per would suffice but honestly, who knows with Dubas' uhh negotiating skills. Speaking of Kerfoot, should Leafs even keep him? I'd be ok with retaining the guy but def. not at 3.5m/per. If he wants a raise, go get it elsewhere... that contract coming off the books combined with Muzzin's likely retirement (or at least LTIR) would give Leafs some decent cap space to spend for a change.
Provided they don't pull another JT. Ie...spend the money on something that we desire, but don't necessarily need, like a OD such as Chychrun. Not that I am in that group that thinks the JT was BAD signing. I think what it showed was we COULD sign big time FAs after many years of losing out, like with Stamkos. Hindsight says maybe the money could have been spent better elsewhere, but I think it was more about optics at the time. We can...and we will. Now I think our philosophy should be: We can...but only if it makes sense.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Yep, and the way his play has been deteriorating I don't think his next contract will be more than $4M per.

I can see Nylander getting $11M, but I don't see JT anywhere close to $7M.
That's just not gonna happen. I don't see Nylander getting more than $9M. Could depend on what Pastrnak gets on his next deal.

Reactions: mclaren55

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tavares will take a massive paycut by the time his contract comes up. 3-6 million.

Marner and Matthews will take something similar to what they have now, after learning what it takes to get a cup and how a few extra left on the table truly could help them get over that hump (unless we win a cup between now and then, all bets are off in that scenario)

Nylander will get a substantial raise because he has truly outplayed that contract and deserves his payday.

I still beleaf we can make this team work and with the cap going up considerably we will be laughing.

There is a chance I'm wrong and they go after every penny, and if thats the case the cap gymnastics just won't work.

But i do really believe Marner and Matthews leave more on the table this time. They've seen what having a little more depth can do, we do miss Hyman.
This is my hope. A small raise for Marner, a bit bigger raise for Matthews and we're golden. If however they both want top dollar (as was apparently the case for the last contract), it's going to be much tougher (though not impossible) to win a cup.

JT is still an impact player. He won't be paid anywhere near 11 but he will be treated more respectfully than a take this or hit the road negotiating style.
Agree 100%. Unless of course Dubas is gone, you never know what kind of hardass they'll hire to take his place. But JT deserves to be treated with respect.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

So much for the $4 million + increase in the cap. This is going to make things very challenging next year, barring any changes.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That's just not gonna happen. I don't see Nylander getting more than $9M. Could depend on what Pastrnak gets on his next deal.
Something close to that AAV might not be out of the realm of possibility if he signs for max term (or maybe even 7 years). It probably does still sound somewhat generous though.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It'll depend more on how close he's compared to Matthews and Marner than it will someone from another team.
If Marner and Matthews start looking like 13/14m per year players, no chance Nylander is going to see himself as being worth 4/5m less.

Reactions: bax

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

That could be a problem. Bruins have more cap flexibility than the Leafs and can overpay. We do not have that luxury so no way can we pay Willie close to Pasta, not to mention Pasta has overperformed his last contract. Willie underperformed the first two year of his IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad