Tkachuk traded to Florida

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Safe to say Zito had little faith in contract negotiations with these two.

Huberdeau will want 8x10+ as a 30 year old.

Weegar will want 7-9M with term as a 29 year old.

We absolutely gave up a lot. but we got cost controlled 80-100 point player who is 24-ish.

Terrible amount to pay for Tkachuk. I imagine contract talks fell through? ANOTHER 1st round pick gone? I don't feel great about this.

We traded two near-30 year old UFAs coming off career years for a 24 year old who just put up 100 points.
Yes we paid a lot.

This is how you extend a contention window.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

We absolutely gave up a lot. but we got cost controlled 80-100 point player who is 24-ish.

We traded two near-30 year old UFAs coming off career years for a 24 year old who just put up 100 points.
Yes we paid a lot.

Pretty much. I think we got worse today for sure but our window just blew open. Plus we are going to love Tkachuk so much here.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
I haven’t really followed the off-season at all since we were eliminated. Can someone explain the rationale? How do we look cap wise now? Insane trade. Dunno how to feel.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL

Yes we paid a lot.

Sure Huby’s agent being Allan Walsh didn’t help matters.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys, not trolling, but genuinely curious.

Was there word around the Panthers that Huberdeau didn't want to sign ?

We usually get a lot of inside info here about Quebec born players and nothing came up about him wanting to leave Florida.

Or, is this a case of Huberdeau's demands being too high for what Zito wanted to pay ?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
At this point it is what it is, I really love Tkachuk and his style of play. We've needed that forever on this team and him being a top superstar on the squad immediately changes the identity of this team. They'll be much feistier come playoff time that's for sure.

Sad to see Huberdeau and Weegar go, especially Hubs. Lots of fun memories with him, just not enough winning. Wish them both the best of luck but contract discussions clearly fell through hence the 1st round pick IMO, I don't see CGY re-signing both.

I'm jacked though, I really am. This is a brand new direction for this squad, they are going to look VERY different next season.

On to a new era of Florida Panthers hockey.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Hey guys, not trolling, but genuinely curious.

Was there word around the Panthers that Huberdeau didn't want to sign ?

We usually get a lot of inside info here about Quebec born players and nothing came up about him wanting to leave Florida.

Or, is this a case of Huberdeau's demands being too high for what Zito wanted to pay ?
Huberdeau will be a 30-year-old looking for 8 years and 10-11M. I'm sure it's nothing personal. Zito just knows better. Someone else can hand him that albatross.

He is a great playmaker. He makes fairly OK players look good.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
At this point it is what it is, I really love Tkachuk and his style of play. We've needed that forever on this team and him being a top superstar on the squad immediately changes the identity of this team. They'll be much feistier come playoff time that's for sure.

Sad to see Huberdeau and Weegar go, especially Hubs. Lots of fun memories with him, just not enough winning. Wish them both the best of luck but contract discussions clearly fell through hence the 1st round pick IMO, I don't see CGY re-signing both.

I'm jacked though, I really am. This is a brand new direction for this squad, they are going to look VERY different next season.

On to a new era of Florida Panthers hockey.

I'm sure that Zito looked at both Huby and Weegar being too old and too expensive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Huberdeau will be a 30-year-old looking for 8 years and 10-11M. I'm sure it's nothing personal. Zito just knows better. Someone else can hand him that albatross.

He is a great playmaker. He makes fairly OK players look good.

This makes a lot of sense. I wish the team here did the same with Carey Price before that brutal contract. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad