Value of: TJ Brodie to the Leafs at the draft.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hello Leaf fan who doesn’t watch any games after 9pm EST. Sportsnet actually did a cool article on trying to identify the top defensive defenseman in the league just before the all star break

Here’s a link to the full article: Trying to identify the best defensive defencemen in the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

I don’t necessarily agree with the methodology but Brodie is not suspect defensively. He’ll make the odd bonehead turnover but his defensive metrics are among the most elite in the league. Great defending the rush and great in d-zone coverage

View attachment 206233
Fair. Bone-head plays is probably better wording.
My issue is he reminds me so much of Jake Gardiner that I'm not interested in giving up anything valuable for him.
Great skating, dazzling moves and backbreaking errors.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Don't be daft. I'm simply saying I remember how OCD Babcock was about his lefties and his righties, and there were instances where 2 RD or 2 LD should have had more ice time, or someone like Subban should have played more (or in the 2016, even be selected). He often didn't want to go with Subban because he is a rightie.

Subban was there basically as an extra defenseman. All of the defenseman who played regular minutes were better defensively than Subban. They had more than enough offensive players. Subban also took lots of penalties, so that was also likely a factor why he sat.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
If Marner gets 10 mill, then the Leafs will only have about 4.1 mill in cap space left for AJ, Kap and 1 more Dman to fill a 21 man roster, Dubas would have to convince Marleau to either retire or wave his NMC for a Brodie trade to happen.

he can try and then when he does retire he will realize that his cap still counts as he signed a over 35 contract

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would want Kapanen and at least a 2nd rounder for him.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Fair. Bone-head plays is probably better wording.
My issue is he reminds me so much of Jake Gardiner that I'm not interested in giving up anything valuable for him.
Great skating, dazzling moves and backbreaking errors.

Yes Leafs should definitely target an RHS RD I agree 100%. I just wanted to specify that Brodie, while being prone to turnovers, is very good defensively

Reactions: Brock Radunske

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I honestly believe brodie can play left too, hes a creative player who plays fast and move the puck fast. Which was everything gulutzan didnt want you to do, rather you play with no creativity and just trap your way home. Theres a reason we went from one of highest scoring D to the lowest when GG was here.
I definitely think it was more of a Gulutzan system than playing on the left

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Brodie definitely plays a lot better on his right side. He still has the occasional braincramp, but his edgework seems to be considerably better skating towards his right. His backhand for whatever reason seems to be more surehanded than his forehand as well.

As for the acquisition cost. Would the Leafs part with Andreas Johnsson?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
What about Brodie for Kadri? Who would add? Brodie for Kap + 2nd + 2nd/4th on resigning? 4th if he doesn't.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Brodie would be a great add for the Leafs. Fits their up-tempo game and is actually very solid defensively apart from the occasional mishap. Has one of the best defensive sticks in the game like prime Keith did. He has been a great #2 for the majority of his years in Calgary(Gulutzan really did a number on a lot of guys). Him and Rielly or Muzzin would make a formidable pairing. Of that rare quality of D that can lead the rush and then be first back, very strong skater. Most Pacific opponents don't even both forechecking him anymore. His weaknesses are that he's soft and poor at clearing the front of the net.

At the draft I'd want Kapanen and a mid round pick. If not that then Bracco and something else semi-valuable. Kadri for Brodie would be interesting, probably have similar value apart from Kadri being signed for longer.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Hello Leaf fan who doesn’t watch any games after 9pm EST. Sportsnet actually did a cool article on trying to identify the top defensive defenseman in the league just before the all star break

Here’s a link to the full article: Trying to identify the best defensive defencemen in the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

I don’t necessarily agree with the methodology but Brodie is not suspect defensively. He’ll make the odd bonehead turnover but his defensive metrics are among the most elite in the league. Great defending the rush and great in d-zone coverage

View attachment 206233

It’s not that he is bad defensively it’s we need RHD and we can’t afford him.

Plus if we are going to trade young assets I would do it for a young RHD, not that teams are usually willing to part with that unless it’s a severe overpayment.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brodie and Gardiner are cut from the same cloth.

No, they're not. Brodie is a shot suppression monster who struggles to with shot generation but has a killer offensive game otherwise. He has the 12th best shot suppression in the NHL the last three years, and that's despite playing on a different pair from Giordano for two of those years, with pretty awful partners. If Brodie shot more wristers he'd probably be considered a Norris

Gardiner is a shot generation monster but his shot suppression is nothing short of poor. He's an second pair offensive defenseman.

Brodie is more similar to Morgan Rielly than Jake Gardiner. A top pair shutdown defenseman. Flames fans just hate on him because his on-ice SV% and SH% in 2017 -18 from 2016-18 were nothing short of profoundly unlucky*, which they confused with poor play and being unable to function without Giordano (all myths). In many ways Brodie's ability to break up a cycle and get the puck up the ice so efficiently is more responsible for Calgary's success than some of our other defensive defenseman i.e. Hamonic.

*luck wasn't entirely responsible mind you. His partner Wideman was terrible, and his partner Hamonic took a long time to get his game back to the level that was expected of him. Brodie himself was also playing pretty poorly for a month or so in that sample. But month long slumps are common across the league. Gulutzan's restrictive systems ended were also a poor fit for most of the roster. He also had too many offensive zone starts under Gulutzan, which is counterintuitive given his defense-first skillset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cappuccino

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Plus if we are going to trade young assets I would do it for a young RHD, not that teams are usually willing to part with that unless it’s a severe overpayment.

The post I quoted and responded to with that post is one that said he was bad defensively

I agree the Leafs should pursue a right shot defenseman

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary

Well Brodie is a right side top pairing defenseman. He’s played in that position all season long and he’s put up 33 points and is a +30 with barely any PP time.

If the Flames eat 50%, Brodie could have plenty of suitors. RHD top pairing defensemen are not available. It might be the most coveted position in the league because of availability. You basically draft these guys or give up an arm or a leg like Chiarelli did for just an Adam Larson. Personally I’d take just Andreas Johnnson + change just because I personally like his potential.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No, they're not. Brodie is a shot suppression monster who struggles to with shot generation but has a killer offensive game otherwise. He has the 12th best shot suppression in the NHL the last three years, and that's despite playing on a different pair from Giordano for two of those years, with pretty awful partners. If Brodie shot more wristers he'd probably be considered a Norris

Gardiner is a shot generation monster but his shot suppression is nothing short of poor. He's an second pair offensive defenseman.

Brodie is more similar to Morgan Rielly than Jake Gardiner. A top pair shutdown defenseman. Flames fans just hate on him because his on-ice SV% and SH% in 2017 -18 from 2016-18 were nothing short of profoundly unlucky*, which they confused with poor play and being unable to function without Giordano (all myths). In many ways Brodie's ability to break up a cycle and get the puck up the ice so efficiently is more responsible for Calgary's success than some of our other defensive defenseman i.e. Hamonic.

*luck wasn't entirely responsible mind you. His partner Wideman was terrible, and his partner Hamonic took a long time to get his game back to the level that was expected of him. Brodie himself was also playing pretty poorly for a month or so in that sample. But month long slumps are common across the league. Gulutzan's restrictive systems ended were also a poor fit for most of the roster. He also had too many offensive zone starts under Gulutzan, which is counterintuitive given his defense-first skillset.

Lmao what? Gardiner has outstanding shot suppression numbers. He's a hero chart darling. Sounds like someone gets their scouting report from HFboards.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brodie definitely plays a lot better on his right side. He still has the occasional braincramp, but his edgework seems to be considerably better skating towards his right. His backhand for whatever reason seems to be more surehanded than his forehand as well.

As for the acquisition cost. Would the Leafs part with Andreas Johnsson?

I would hate it, and I do mean HATE it but it's not unreasonable

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lmao what? Gardiner has outstanding shot suppression numbers. He's a hero chart darling. Sounds like someone gets their scouting report from HFboards.

Of the 50 defensemen to have logged 3800+ minutes of 5v5 icetime from 2016-19,

Brodie ranks 6th with 51.84 CA/60
Gardiner ranks 34th, with 57.37 CA/60

Brodie ranks 31st with 56.56 CF/60
Gardiner ranks 12th with 60.70 CF/60

Like I said, Gardiner is a shot generation monster, Brodie is a shot suppression monster. Two very different players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad