TJ Brennan: What's his deal?

CalgaryLeaf*

I wonder why TJ Brennan was never given a chance to play with the big club?

The guy is big (6'1" and 213),scored 25 goals and he averaged almost a point per game the last 2 years...As a defenseman he was tied for 3rd in the AHL in scoring with 72 points.

I know the Leafs have Jake & Morgan to play that role,but does Brennan totally suck defensively?...Is Franson a better player?

I think Brennan is now a UFA.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brennan is now a New York Islander.

Carlyle is a dinosaur. Nothing about him "makes sense."

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Absolutely terrible defensively. Brennan had a tough time in the AHL defending. His skating isn't all that great.

He does have a bomb of a shot and good offensive skills.

As great as he was in the AHL, just like Kostka was a couple seasons ago, he would be a disaster in the NHL.

The Leafs have enough of Rielly, Gardiner and Franson has players that are not overly great defending... we don't need another one with mediocre overall abilities. Leafs have better quality defenders that can play at both ends of the ice next to our quality offensive defenders.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He's a left-handed Cody Franson

His defense is definitely suspect.

CalgaryLeaf*

Absolutely terrible defensively. Brennan had a tough time in the AHL defending. His skating isn't all that great.

As great as he was in the AHL, just like Kostka was a couple seasons ago, he would be a disaster in the NHL.

Was he a first pairing defenseman for the Marlies?..Obviously he must have been on the first PP.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Was he a first pairing defenseman for the Marlies?..Obviously he must have been on the first PP.

He was.

Let me put it this way. The Marlies were one of the best defensive teams in the AHL last season. With that, Brennan finished with 72 points, 25 of those are goals... and he finished a MINUS 10.

I'm not one to look at +/- to judge a player defensively or even overall, but I've watched a lot of Marlies games this season and his -10 despite his point totals AND the Marlies team is just a good way to show where he excels and where he doesn't.

Brennan probably is a good depth defender right now. If you need an offensive defenceman to come in after injuries to your main PP guys, he'd probably provide you with solid secondary scoring but in my opinion, he's not a quality top 6 defender of a NHL team.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Wasn't great defensively. Even with all his points he was just an even player 5x5.

I still think he should move to wing because he is actually pretty good on the rush and on the forecheck. Sometimes he would dump it in and go chase it himself.

I hope he does well this year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wasn't great defensively. Even with all his points he was just an even player 5x5.

I still think he should move to wing because he is actually pretty good on the rush and on the forecheck. Sometimes he would dump it in and go chase it himself.

I hope he does well this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2% of players are miscast and never make it because that alone.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

The Leafs have enough of Rielly, Gardiner and Franson has players that are not overly great defending... we don't need another one with mediocre overall abilities. Leafs have better quality defenders that can play at both ends of the ice next to our quality offensive defenders.

This + the Leafs blueline was very healthy last season.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
He was.

Let me put it this way. The Marlies were one of the best defensive teams in the AHL last season. With that, Brennan finished with 72 points, 25 of those are goals... and he finished a MINUS 10.

I'm not one to look at +/- to judge a player defensively or even overall, but I've watched a lot of Marlies games this season and his -10 despite his point totals AND the Marlies team is just a good way to show where he excels and where he doesn't.

Brennan probably is a good depth defender right now. If you need an offensive defenceman to come in after injuries to your main PP guys, he'd probably provide you with solid secondary scoring but in my opinion, he's not a quality top 6 defender of a NHL team.

Looking at his +/- compared to the rest of the Marlies, there were only 2 players who were lower, Brad Staubitz (-13) and Brad Ross (-14).
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I do think he will makes the Islanders on the 3rd pairing, just because they really don't have much else in the way of pp guys.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
He signed to play with the NYI farm club. He is like Franson but worse defensively

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He looks decent when he is given the puck and able to control the point.

On a NHL roster where he would be a 3rd pairing guy, he would look too ordinary.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He would absolutely shredded in the NHL defensively. He struggles in the AHL.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Dude was brutal defensively, was a major minus even though he put up all those points. Was probably basically on for a goal against a game. Basically a PP point getting.

People are so easily influenced by point totals lol...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For those saying he was brutal defensively - did anyone actually watch him play for the Marlies last season?

I watched quite a few Marlies games last season, and while there were serious questions about his defensive game, he improved significantly over the course of the year and was no longer a liability.

He didn't get his chance because Nonis and Carlyle. Simple as. He will go elsewhere (Islanders), and turn that small deal into a bigger one by playing relatively decently in the NHL this season, and Carlyle and Nonis will once again look like fools for making a mistake judging talent.

I'm not saying he's anything special; but he's a serviceable NHL Dman who should have had at least a small look in last season - especially when Gleason, Franson, and Phaneuf forgot how to play in the NHL.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He'll get the opportunity to rack up a lot of points there on the PP in NY, but he's certainly not going to be a piece that brings them success.

A very poor man's Mike Greene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad