NFL: Titans fire Jon Robinson

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
More deserved than you'd think. That Titans roster is straight up not good and Vrabel is basically dragging it kicking and screaming to relevance.

There was speculation that Vrabel was very much not a fan of the AJ Brown trade when it went down and watching him torch the Titans on sunday probably didn't help things.

I can just imagine ownership sitting there and going "wait, didn't this guy used to play for us?"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like someone lost a power struggle.

They just got torched by AJ Brown who they didn't want to pay, when they're barely paying quarterbacks, that shouldn't happen.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They were smart to recognize that playing in a joke of a division doesn’t mean you’re actually good. They roll into the playoffs easily because Colts/Jags/Texans. But it’s squandered when you know you aren’t in the class of the actual top AFC teams. That’s who you’re competing with.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sounds like someone lost a power struggle.

They just got torched by AJ Brown who they didn't want to pay, when they're barely paying quarterbacks, that shouldn't happen.
And the danger here is always letting the winner pick a complete pushover to fill the open spot. These so often make a bad situation worse in the long run.

Reactions: Voight

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
They were smart to recognize that playing in a joke of a division doesn’t mean you’re actually good. They roll into the playoffs easily because Colts/Jags/Texans. But it’s squandered when you know you aren’t in the class of the actual top AFC teams. That’s who you’re competing with.
A Titans team with AJ Brown sacked Joe Burrow 9 times in a home playoff game and still lost. Their response to that game...was to lose to the Bengals at home again.

I have to tell you, I'd much rather play the Titans or Ravens than the Dolphins or Bills.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Interesting timing, or maybe not considering the AJ Brown revenge game the other day.

Lot of comments on Twitter about how his draft decisions haven't worked out. I don't follow the Titans so I don't know but just looking at how bad the AFC South is, there's no reason Tennessee shouldn't be kicking ass and taking names.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Vrabel said sometime in the off-season that they would never trade Brown while he was coach. Then around when the trade was announced you could see him sigh and he got up and took a walk. So they probably decided to choose him on the gm. Good choice based on how well coached they are. They lack talent.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting timing, or maybe not considering the AJ Brown revenge game the other day.

Lot of comments on Twitter about how his draft decisions haven't worked out. I don't follow the Titans so I don't know but just looking at how bad the AFC South is, there's no reason Tennessee shouldn't be kicking ass and taking names.
2020 draft was bad with them releasing OT Wilson. 2021 Farley was hurt during college and was injured in his rookie year. The OT they took in round 2 doesn’t appear to be a regular starter as he doesn’t play the usuals 90% of offensive snaps. Under 70% which isn’t what you want out of a second year OL from round 2.

No clue why the titans GM felt that he couldn’t make the Brown contract fit into the cap as that was market rate given what fellow guys in his draft year like Metcalf and Deebo signed for.

Burka needs to be almost as good as Brown and they need to use what would have been e Brown money well on other players.

But you’d think a big decision like this would have involved the owner and HC. Talking about an impact player here. They all should have been in agreement on the move. I mean you don’t think that KC trio wasn’t on the same page with the Hill trade?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If Tennesse blows the division this panic/reactionary move is going to be looked at as a big reason why. Never good to create instability in the middle of an NFL season.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The performance of the team though kind of validates the decision to fire him.

Vrabel has propped up this team beyond belief, they are like a 4-5 win team on paper in a normal division.

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The performance of the team though kind of validates the decision to fire him.

Vrabel has propped up this team beyond belief, they are like a 4-5 win team on paper in a normal division.
The question is did firing him result in this freefall? Their defense had been very good up until the Eagles game, but having a poor defensive game against the Eagles is defensable.

Firing the GM can cause shockwaves over the short term through the organization. Guys he signed may start to wonder where they now stand in the organization, no one's really there in the short term to make the small moves that need to be made every week, etc.

There's no reason this couldn't have waited until the offseason. GM's are very rarely fired mid-season for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad