Titans building new $2+ billion domed stadium in Nashville

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Final Four + Wrestlemania are other events they can also host with a closed roof.
Wrestlemania they have done those in open air stadiums. It’s at the end of March I believe, so depends on what the weather is typically in Nashville at that time.

Again comes down to a cost benefit of whether the extra events make the cost worth it.

Kind of sad economically speaking that stadiums that were built to replace older stadiums in my lifetime now need to be replaced.

FedEx Field, Georgia Dome, Nissan Stadium, etc.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wrestlemania they have done those in open air stadiums. It’s at the end of March I believe, so depends on what the weather is typically in Nashville at that time.

Again comes down to a cost benefit of whether the extra events make the cost worth it.

Kind of sad economically speaking that stadiums that were built to replace older stadiums in my lifetime now need to be replaced.

FedEx Field, Georgia Dome, Nissan Stadium, etc.

Only times it has been outdoors is in Florida and California. WM 35 was outdoors at MetLife, but much like the NFL they made a "cold weather" exemption because its New York. & now Philly in 2 years, which will be interesting. Conceivably there is nothing stopping them from having it at Nissan Stadium but the easiest way to get one is with a new/world class venue.

Turner Field was also only like 20 years old when the Braves replaced it.

Likewise with the Texas Rangers, they only stayed 25 years in Arlington before decamping (tho it was in order to move into a retractable roof venue)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only times it has been outdoors is in Florida and California. WM 35 was outdoors at MetLife, but much like the NFL they made a "cold weather" exemption because its New York. & now Philly in 2 years, which will be interesting. Conceivably there is nothing stopping them from having it at Nissan Stadium but the easiest way to get one is with a new/world class venue.

Turner Field was also only like 20 years old when the Braves replaced it.

Likewise with the Texas Rangers, they only stayed 25 years in Arlington before decamping (tho it was in order to move into a retractable roof venue)
I think the indoor ones for hockey/basketball will last longer. Smaller venue at 18K capacity. So, long as the size is there, they can add whatever is in vogue, like bars/restaurants and other things. Vancouver is in tough because it was built between 2 viaducts so the concourse is more narrow.

Boston, StL, Philly all had 9 figure renovations done to their arenas that opened in the 90's. Same with the Suns that opened in 1992. Plus all of the others in LA, chicago, anaheim, montreal, etc. should just need renovations. Also because there would likely be transit near that facility, the location works.

The ones where the interior is exposed to the elements, that's tougher, but you do expect renovations to it. Just a sad state to see stadiums that are like 25-30 years old needing to be replaced. Like the baseball ones that you pointed it, it's kind of crazy that Turner Field replace Fulton County Stadium in the 90's and then itself got replaced a few years ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like a Sofi stadium type design with the roof.

Retractable roofs while cool don’t give the fans in the stadium a view of the skyline which is something you get with an open air one. So probably best not to spend the extra few hundreds of millions for one.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Once again, I know I'm getting old when teams like the Titans are building new stadiums or are in the process of doing so.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Once again, I know I'm getting old when teams like the Titans are building new stadiums or are in the process of doing so.
No kidding. Talking barely 30 years by the time they move out of Nissan as they spent a couple of seasons at Vandy's stadium.

How do these open air ones make any financial sense in a cold weather city?

I get you have way more days in warm climates to have events, but for colder cities, how are you filling those stadiums?

For the $1.2-$1.5 mill for an outdoor one to $2 billion for a dome one, I don't see how you justify the cost over a 30 year life.

Reactions: HisIceness

Gumbo

Dec 31, 2015
Raleigh
I'm sure the new stadium will be cool, but if I were a Nashville resident I would be pissed at spending $1.2 billion to support a billionaire owner. It's the largest public spend on an NFL stadium in history.

I saw an article where a majority of Nashville residents opposed it.

Reactions: HisIceness

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure the new stadium will be cool, but if I were a Nashville resident I would be pissed at spending $1.2 billion to support a billionaire owner. It's the largest public spend on an NFL stadium in history.

Given the values of NFL teams these days with Denver going for $4.65 billion and Washington for $6 billion with Seattle sale looming once they get past the March 2025 date of any sale needing to give 10% of the proceeds to the city, that will be another one which should exceed $6 billion as well.

Does seem ridiculous for cities to be funding stadiums. Talking about 10 home games (I believe every team gets 10, so that if you get 8 regular season ones you get 2 pre-season ones, or 9 regular and 1 pre-season one). Plus upwards of 3 home playoff games. So max of 13 NFL games a seasons. Need other events to make it worth while.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I would be too.

I can't speak for the residents but I flew into Nashville recently to go to a nearby city and, that city has a terrible highway infrastructure. This billion dollars could go towards improving that, but I guess the Titans need it more.

I just said this in another thread. I have zero patience for billionaire owners needing public dollars. With the way these franchises have gone up in value, pay for your own damn toys.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall.

The city council of Nashville, Tenn. is expected to approve steep subsidies for a new $2.1 billion stadium for the team.

The city’s likely approval of $760 million in revenue bonds, combined with $500 million already approved by the state, brings the total public contribution for the stadium to $1.26 billion, far and away the biggest sports subsidy in U.S. history by nearly 50 percent.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Point of information: Turner Field in Atlanta was not built for baseball. It was a retrofit from Olympic Stadium in the first place.
But retrofitting it into the Ted was part of the plan from the start. The design of the portion of the stadium that would become the Turner Field grandstand was specifically created with baseball in mind. That's why that end had multiple tiers and a roof over the seats, and the pinched corner that would become the location of home plate. Meanwhile the other end was barebones and temporary, as it was beyond what would be the outfield. It's just like they took the Olympic stadium and said, "ok, how do we get baseball to fit in here" (like Montreal).

Reactions: DoyleG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad