Blue Jays Discussion: 'Tis the season ... MVP SEASON

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Who else is looking for a catcher? Avila and Iannetta both signed 1 year deals. If that's the standard, I would think Navarro comes back. Just don't see many teams out there willing to lock up a 1B catcher. Wouldn't mind Jeff Mathis either.

navarro is probably gonna get 3-4 mil imo but wiht a different team who needs a catcher

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
not on this case. penta is our future starting catcher barring a trade

We would all love to believe this. But he has a total of 109 plate appearances of minor league experience under his belt, all two years ago, all in short-season ball. He has a long way to go.

Remember JP Arencibia? Remember Brian Jeroloman? Remember Guillermo Quiroz and Robinson Diaz and Kevin Cash and Curtis Thigpen?

I have high hopes for Pentecost, but to think you can't afford to trade a player because you may need him 3-4 years down the road if everything goes according to plan is a pretty poor strategy.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Excerpt from the Q3/15 earnings report for Rogers Communications. This is for the "Media Segment" mentioned earlier of which both the Blue Jays franchise and ~37% stake of MLSE reside. Also, the NHL broadcast contract.

Operating revenue
The 8% increase in operating revenue this quarter was a result of:
 higher subscription and advertising revenue generated by our Sportsnet properties; and
 higher Toronto Blue Jays revenue; partially offset by
 continued softness in conventional broadcast TV and print advertising.

In addition to the above, the 18% year to date increase in Media operating revenue was a result of our nationwide exclusive NHL licensing agreement that became effective for the 2014-2015 season. The third quarter of 2015 was not significantly impacted by the NHL licensing agreement as the NHL season ends in the second quarter.

Operating expenses
The stable operating expenses this quarter were a result of:
 lower conventional broadcast TV programming costs;
 lower publishing costs; and
 operating efficiencies realized across various Media divisions; offset by
 higher sports related programming and production and other operating costs; and
 higher costs related to the Toronto Blue Jays.

In addition to the above, the 14% year to date increase in Media operating expenses was a result of higher
programming and production costs related to the national and regional NHL licensing agreements.

Adjusted operating profit
The 152% increase in adjusted operating profit this quarter and 119% increase year to date reflect the revenue and expense changes described above.

mikebel111*

We would all love to believe this. But he has a total of 109 plate appearances of minor league experience under his belt, all two years ago, all in short-season ball. He has a long way to go.

Remember JP Arencibia? Remember Brian Jeroloman? Remember Guillermo Quiroz and Robinson Diaz and Kevin Cash and Curtis Thigpen?

I have high hopes for Pentecost, but to think you can't afford to trade a player because you may need him 3-4 years down the road if everything goes according to plan is a pretty poor strategy.

this

I love Max but he is no sure thing

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Moreover

ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS REPORTS THIRD QUARTER 2015 RESULTS
 Rogers 3.0 plan delivers solid financial and operating metrics
 Continued revenue growth of 4% with increases across Wireless, Cable, and Media
 Adjusted operating profit growth of 3% and strong free cash flow of $660 million
 Wireless network revenue growth of 3%; 77,000 Wireless postpaid net additions on flat churn
 ARPA up 4% with strong growth in Share Everything plan adoption; now 33% of our postpaid base
 Cable adjusted operating profit up 2%; 24,000 Internet net additions up 50%
Media adjusted operating profit more than doubled with the Toronto Blue Jays’ on-field success and as Sportsnet continued as Canada's #1 sports brand on TV
 Introduced Rogers IGNITE Gigabit Internet; expected to cover Rogers’ entire cable footprint by the end of 2016
 Launched 4K TV and announced the world’s largest commitment to live sports broadcasting in 4K
 Launched LTE Extended Coverage so that Rogers offers unsurpassed LTE coverage nationally

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Robinzon Diaz is about to blow up.

So... until now (like... literally until you posted this) I didn't realize it was Robinzon. I thought it was Robinson. I've looked at his profile on B-R and Fangraphs dozens of times, read tons of articles about the Bautista trade, even vaguely remember following him as a prospect.

How did I do all that without noticing the Z in his name?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So... until now (like... literally until you posted this) I didn't realize it was Robinzon. I thought it was Robinson. I've looked at his profile on B-R and Fangraphs dozens of times, read tons of articles about the Bautista trade, even vaguely remember following him as a prospect.

How did I do all that without noticing the Z in his name?

Inexcusable. Greatest Jays catching prospect of all time. Doubt anyone can argue with that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
not on this case. penta is our future starting catcher barring a trade

Unless they sign another Martin-esque FA down the road. Or some other prospect explodes out of nowhere, or they get into the draft and manage to snag a high-value catcher with their 1st (or another pick), or. or. or.

what if he doesnt? just trade him anyways i guess right

New plan: Better not trade any prospects ever, because they might be good down the line, maybe.

You trade a guy if you think the value on the return is there. You weigh what Pentecost might be against what you get back and if you think it's fair, trade him. Nobody's saying give him, or any prospect, away for nothing, but the opposite tack of holding onto everyone on the off-chance that one or two of them might bite you in the ass after the trade is just as damaging as shoving everyone out the door in the first trade that comes along.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

More so along the lines of...

200px-Jeff_Mathis_on_April_24,_2012.jpg

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Unless they sign another Martin-esque FA down the road. Or some other prospect explodes out of nowhere, or they get into the draft and manage to snag a high-value catcher with their 1st (or another pick), or. or. or.

New plan: Better not trade any prospects ever, because they might be good down the line, maybe.

You trade a guy if you think the value on the return is there. You weigh what Pentecost might be against what you get back and if you think it's fair, trade him. Nobody's saying give him, or any prospect, away for nothing, but the opposite tack of holding onto everyone on the off-chance that one or two of them might bite you in the ass after the trade is just as damaging as shoving everyone out the door in the first trade that comes along.
i was sarcastic when i said trade him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What happened with Pentecost? Did he not play this season ?

Max Pentecost underwent shoulder surgery in February 2015, and missed the entire 2015 season while rehabbing it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/jays-pentecost-shoulder-surgery/

Max Pentecost, the second of Toronto’s first-round picks last June and the No. 11 pick overall, has had surgery on the shoulder joint of his right (throwing) arm and will miss the beginning of the 2015 season, sportsnet.ca reported.

It was the second surgery since October for the former Kennesaw State catcher. He had surgery following the 2014 season to repair a partial tear in his right labrum, but a second procedure, performed by Dr. James Andrews, was necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad