Tired of Nolan's Schtick

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think most people hope we will eventually have better than Nolan. Why waste that guy during the throwaway years when Nolan is a such a good scapegoat?

I want a coach, not a scapegoat. I want someone who can gameplan based on who he has and who he is going against. I don't see that from Nolan.

I also had a bigger problem with the fact that Murray didn't make his own hire.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I want a coach, not a scapegoat. I want someone who can gameplan based on who he has and who he is going against. I don't see that from Nolan.

Personally, this doesn't concern me yet. I think Murray made two strategic moves in this hiring:

1) Don't alienate the fanbase by firing Nolan after he arrived back into town on a white horse.

2) If we are gonna re-build, then let him do the work through the rebuild and then take the fall later (i know this speaks to your point about not wanting a scapegoat, but i think there is something there to it).

Nolan is still better than RonRol who had no visible system in play at all. In the end, i'll be concerned if Nolan gets a fair shot at a roster full of talent with a level to compete, fails, and TM still does nothing.

Otherwise, i truly believe that once the pieces are in place, Nolan gets the boot and TM hires his own guy.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This scapegoat theory has always been utter nonsense.

Everyone in this area knows we are tanking and trying to finish 30th. Its understood by everyone that its the plan for this year. Its such a well know and accepted truth at this point that fans get upset when we win games and we get members of the press fighting with each other over it.

If everyone in Sabreland knows the goal is to finish last, why on earth would Murray need a scapegoat for that happening? The answer is he wouldn't because the fan base will be ecstatic over landing one of McEichel. No one would need to be held accountable for the season playing out as planned.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No, I'm not in this for the sake of complaining. While I don't think Nolan is the best coach for this present team, he isn't mismanaging the current line up enough to get me upset during a season like this.

It is the exchange of thoughts between coach and GM that I feel isn't optimum that it's lacking. Some of the core of the future Sabres is already here but a noticeable part will be decided this coming draft (both in terms of drafted players, but also not unlikely in terms of trades). As you yourself state, Nolan has probably nothing to say in these matters. So, if we had a capable coach that was hired to be here long term, we would have the benefit of his judgement in questions, like which player to keep and which others could fit well in. Simple as that.

You're worried about something thats a complete non-issue.

Murray does talk with Nolan frequently but ultimately all personnel decisions are made by Murray. As is the case with almost every NHL coach and GM in the league. As for the draft, no GM consults with his head coach over who he should draft. He consults with his scouting department. Thats what they are there for.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
This scapegoat theory has always been utter nonsense.

Everyone in this area knows we are tanking and trying to finish 30th. Its understood by everyone that its the plan for this year. Its such a well know and accepted truth at this point that fans get upset when we win games and we get members of the press fighting with each other over it.

If everyone in Sabreland knows the goal is to finish last, why on earth would Murray need a scapegoat for that happening? The answer is he wouldn't because the fan base will be ecstatic over landing one of McEichel. No one would need to be held accountable for the season playing out as planned.

we are posting in a thread about people who are sick of the coach, if Murray had fired Nolan, theyd be complaining about whoever Murray brought in

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad