Tinner's Old Timey Flashback II - Kevin Hatcher

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Another installment for random thoughts on random player...

I really first recall Hatcher in the 86-87 season and remember him being a guy that fought now and then and laid out hits that hurt me from my living room. He was on the ice when that season ended trying to make a play on Lafontaine and got unlukcy..ughhh

The next year it seemed he really broke out offensively. I think he had 10 or 11 goals during the regular season and started joining the rush more. He also was matched up against Lemieux most nights and hacked the hell out of him. In one game in Pitt (we were getting crushed...Coffey's first game with Pens) he got Lemieux so mad that supermario, during the play, just spun around and shot the puck at Hatcher!!

That post season he was our best dman. He took over the Flyers series with several big hits and key goals.

In the 2nd period of game 7 vs Philly he made a play that really impacted that game. Caps were down 3-0 and just had scored 2 goals (Galley and Miller). Hatcher was driving the net on a rush and blatently absolutely ran Hextall thru the net. He would have been suspended in todays game for that.

Then after he came out of the box he made a great keep on the blue line from an errant Prop pass and blasted one home to tie the game.

The next year I thought he would be amazing but started seeing some unsettling space cadet moments. He had a good year overall tho.

The 89-90 playoffs he went back to his punishing ways. He crushed some fools that season too and we struggled mainly b/c Langway and Stevens were constantly hurt but he stepped up to keep us afloat.

Then post Scott Stevens (and declining Langway) he became our top pairing guy with Calle Johansson and he was pretty good overall but started becoming Hollywood Hatcher....salary disputes, wanting more money, focusing just on offense and no D or hitting...he started getting the whooping treatment.

During the 94 lockout there were rumors he would be traded in a package for Yzerman. This got my hopes up as the Caps sorely needed a player who was creative..

But Poile traded him for a DMAN! At first I was bitter but then recalled Tinordi during that Stars cup run in 90-91 and how dominant he was.

Hatcher never was the same player after he left here. He had some OK years but he seemed to lose any bit of passion he had left and was completely aversive to any form of physical play.

He had a very good career overall. He was our 2nd leading goal scorer in 92-93 and was part of that D corp that had 3 20 goal scorers (him, Iafrate and Cote).

He should have been much better tho. He had all the tools you could ask for. He was a beast when he was young and then ego took over.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nice memory there Rouse

He showed a lot of promise. He was huge and could do it all. Then he went all Hollywood on us. He was a gold glove champ of boxing in Detroit at age 16 which you could see in his fights. I wonder if he got concussed or otherwise injured that made him back off the physical side of the game.

What a series. I think we set the record for most PIMS in a series. No small feat looking at the fierce rivalries in all of NHL history

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Nice video.

I never knew he was a boxing champ. Makes sense because he was pretty vicious in that role.

In his 9 years with the Caps he only dipped below 100PIMS just a single time (90-91)

In his 7 years after the Caps he only went above 100PIMS just a single time.

You can see where his game went south.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
He was the Caps best player 89-94 in my opinion, another guy they really didn't want to pay as salaries were skyrocketing but this deal actually worked out (and did Jared rep NoVa as a result?). I don't know if it was how feared he was as a fighter or the fact that they didn't want him in the box but I don't remember him fighting much in his prime. My dad says the announcers built up his rep by saying he trained with Hearns but that's apocryphal. There's a cool clip that's in blooper reels of Al Koken standing on a stool or something to interview him.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He was the Caps best player 89-94 in my opinion, another guy they really didn't want to pay as salaries were skyrocketing but this deal actually worked out (and did Jared rep NoVa as a result?). I don't know if it was how feared he was as a fighter or the fact that they didn't want him in the box but I don't remember him fighting much in his prime. My dad says the announcers built up his rep by saying he trained with Hearns but that's apocryphal. There's a cool clip that's in blooper reels of Al Koken standing on a stool or something to interview him.

Well I'd say he very well was our best player from 90-91 til he was traded. But in 89 we still had prime Stevens and he was miles better than anyone on the team.

After he had offensive success (and when Stevens left) he started slacking ont he physical spectrum. Stevens was the heart of the team and everyone respected him and kept them in line. Once he left alot of players weren't the same.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Thought they traded him for Yzerman

Baseless Larry Brooks speculation in retrospect but it wasn't a crazy idea at the time. Hatcher was a #1 dman that had a 34 goal year under his belt, excellent PP QB, good on the PK, and was still somewhat physical and played in all situations.

Yzerman had a horrific knee injury a couple years earlier and was known as a playoff choker. Im thinking (I could be wrong as my memory is shady) that Bowman took over the wings and disliked how Yzerman played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad