Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren Leafs top pick in 2017 - Part II (Continued)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
David Alterâ€ÂVerified account @dalter 49m49 minutes ago
More
Lamoriello says it Liljegren will either be playing pro in Sweden or with the Marlies next season. One or the other.

Keeping him with the Marlies would be an interesting move. General wisdom says he goes back to Sweden for a year, but if the Leafs feel they can reasonably give him the minutes he needs on the Marlies, then makes sense that they might want to directly guide his development from day one.

Also, the last thing you want to do is bring him here and quickly find out he isn't quite ready for the AHL just yet, so that's a tough call.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think it may be a decent idea to go the AHL route

But it could be problematic if Nielsen/Dermott start in the NHL... there'd be 3 swedish D transitioning to smaller ice at the same time and you'd want to have those other guys be a stabilizing presence.

they will have loverde who is a vet and holl is a an AHL vet, Nielsen has 0% chance of making the leafs unless he found a miracle skating cure in the summer, in fact all 3 swedes have a better chance at the leafs. rosen is 23 and has just under 100 games SHL experience and Borgman has 50 games while obviously not on NHL ice I don tthink they will have too much trouble

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
they will have loverde who is a vet and holl is a an AHL vet, Nielsen has 0% chance of making the leafs unless he found a miracle skating cure in the summer, in fact all 3 swedes have a better chance at the leafs. rosen is 23 and has just under 100 games SHL experience and Borgman has 50 games while obviously not on NHL ice I don tthink they will have too much trouble

Nielsen has a greater chance of being on the Leafs this year than any other Marlie... just an fyi.

His outlet passes and his shot greatly eclipse skating issues

When you are faced with having to dress marchenko or marincin... or nielsen... who wins?

Nielsen skates better than either, is a huge physical presence and does things that are absolute needs.

Remember... Leafs wanted to sign Kris Russel just because he blocked shots. Leafs don't look at absolutes like speed. They look at need.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
David Alterâ€ÂVerified account @dalter 49m49 minutes ago
More
Lamoriello says it Liljegren will either be playing pro in Sweden or with the Marlies next season. One or the other.

Helped you out bud. ;)

This should put to rest any delusions of him playing in the CHL.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Nielsen has a greater chance of being on the Leafs this year than any other Marlie... just an fyi.

When you are faced with having to dress marchenko or marincin... or nielsen... who wins?

Nielsen skates better than either, is a huge physical presence and does things that are absolute needs.

Remember... Leafs wanted to sign Kris Russel just because he blocked shots. Leafs don't look at absolutes like speed. They look at need.

How much of Nielsen or the Marlies did you watch last year? Honest question. Nielsen was sub par defensively for the most part, lacked in the skating department, and didn't show that he was ready to make the jump in my viewings. Not being good defensively while being a solid PP quaterback is not what the leafs "need" atm. Dermott looked far more engaged in all zones, and was relied upon more than Nielsen was. Imo, the 3rd Pairing LD spot is Dermotts to loose.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

ok, ill stick with the view you will most likely find from more knowledgeable posters here. He isn't close to the leafs due to being a below average skater. Dermott has a chance and only a small chance at the leafs. Nielsen had no chance, its not all about points and outlet passes man

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Just an FYI.

Dermott 1st pair, #1PP (after he took over the spot from Nielsen), #1 PK.
Nielsen 3rd pair, #2PP (after Dermott bumped him), limited PK time.

But in your opinion Nielsen > Dermott????? Is this based on anything but stats?

Pretty well common knowledge now that Dermott is a lot closer to making it then Nielsen. Management called him top 20 yo in the AHL, they were even quoted about needing to watch one Marlies dman in the playoffs. There's been several articles written about Dermott becoming a blue chip guy that may force his way onto team this year. Justin Bourne (former video coach) gushed about him the other day, and predicted he'd be with the Leafs opening day.

Did you miss all of this?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just an FYI.

Dermott 1st pair, #1PP (after he took over the spot from Nielsen), #1 PK.
Nielsen 3rd pair, #2PP (after Dermott bumped him), limited PK time.

But in your opinion Nielsen > Dermott????? Is this based on anything but stats?

Pretty well common knowledge now that Dermott is a lot closer to making it then Nielsen. Management called him top 20 yo in the AHL, they were even quoted about needing to watch one Marlies dman in the playoffs. There's been several articles written about Dermott becoming a blue chip guy that may force his way onto team this year. Justin Bourne (former video coach) gushed about him the other day, and predicted he'd be with the Leafs opening day.

Did you miss all of this?

Nielsen's skating is something he needs to work on. I think he can work out in a 3rd pairing role and some PP time because of his shot but his role can only evolve so much with limited skating.

Thankfully there is no giant rush and we can slowly bring him along.

Dermott's IQ and his foot speed and the fact he's a bit bulky helps quite a bit. He's ahead of the curve for sure. I wasn't even that big of a fan of the pick at the time, proved me wrong relatively early and he's an exciting prospect for us. He's hopefully an internal replacement for Gardiner.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
James Mirtle Verified account @mirtle

There's no downside to playing Liljegren with the Marlies. ELCs for 18 and 19 year olds slide if they do not play 10 NHL games.

James Mirtle Verified account @mirtle 2h2 hours ago
Leafs don't announce the financial terms. But I'm guessing Liljegren didn't get many entry level bonuses. Certainly not like Matthews.

There's no downside to playing Liljegren with the Marlies. ELCs for 18 and 19 year olds slide if they do not play 10 NHL games.

Frankie @CoachFrank18

Are the expectations on Rosen and Bergman high that 1 if not both make the Leafs next year? dont know much about them. Can Lijegren?

More
One might make it. I bet not.

Replying to @mirtle
Could you see Liljegren on the Marlies this year?

James Mirtle Retweeted Yukon Leafs Fan
100% possible.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Leafs don't announce the financial terms. But I'm guessing Liljegren didn't get many entry level bonuses. Certainly not like Matthews.

Frankie @CoachFrank18

Are the expectations on Rosen and Bergman high that 1 if not both make the Leafs next year? dont know much about them. Can Lijegren?

More
One might make it. I bet not.

Replying to @mirtle
Could you see Liljegren on the Marlies this year?

James Mirtle Retweeted Yukon Leafs Fan
100% possible.

So 2 AHL years(or a Nylander split Swe/AHL year + AHL year) and a few call up games in year 2 to keep him under 10 games played and he can start year 1 of his ELC in our top 6 as a 20yr old rookie in year 1 of the big 3's 2nd deal. That's a great situation to be in considering his upside.

Big advantage to drafting Europeans and being able to develop them in the AHL at 18/19 vs a CHL player that is NHL or CHL only at those ages if you do it properly.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Any chance Liljegren gets the 9 NHL games at any point this season hence that is why they signed him to the ELC now?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I would say the elc has no bearing on that.

after todays AHL signing, it must be more likely liljegren to go back to Sweden.
the marlies have a right side of:
Holl
LoVerde
Paliotta
Valiev

I cant see them keeping Liljegren unless he was guaranteed mins. The 3 RHD are AHL vets unlikely to move to the ECHL and Valiev is a AHL player too

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
after todays AHL signing, it must be more likely liljegren to go back to Sweden.
the marlies have a right side of:
Holl
LoVerde
Paliotta
Valiev

I cant see them keeping Liljegren unless he was guaranteed mins. The 3 RHD are AHL vets unlikely to move to the ECHL and Valiev is a AHL player too

I still see lil being top 3 on the right side of that list. Sweden might be the place he goes but based on skill and talent alone he could/should get good toi with the Marlies.
Also Keefe is really good at balancing the ice time. Sometimes last year it drove me nuts. Wrenn should have not seen a third of the ice time he saw last year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I still see lil being top 3 on the right side of that list. Sweden might be the place he goes but based on skill and talent alone he could/should get good toi with the Marlies.
Also Keefe is really good at balancing the ice time. Sometimes last year it drove me nuts. Wrenn should have not seen a third of the ice time he saw last year.

2 of these guys they signed as free agent AHL vets they are playing and then Holl I hope he is playing. Talent wise I agree lil should play but he wont they essentially blocked him out with vets, which is fine but means NHL or SHL now obviously 95% SHL 5% NHL

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
2 of these guys they signed as free agent AHL vets they are playing and then Holl I hope he is playing. Talent wise I agree lil should play but he wont they essentially blocked him out with vets, which is fine but means NHL or SHL now obviously 95% SHL 5% NHL
Those who guys can easily ride the line or take a trip to Florida too.
I think ahl signings are a secondary concern. Management has stated the Marlies are for development of the young guys. Ahl signings are fodder.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

FYI, no he doesn't. He's a long way away from being a part of the Leafs moving forward. Yes, he has promise, but he needs to work on his D abilities and he won't be a part of the Babcock team until he show's he's capable. That won't be tomorrow.

And the Russell comment, please. Had they truly wished to sign him they would have.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Those who guys can easily ride the line or take a trip to Florida too.
I think ahl signings are a secondary concern. Management has stated the Marlies are for development of the young guys. Ahl signings are fodder.

Here are the locks IMO for the Marlies lineup on D, ignoring making the Leafs and stuff.

Dermott
Neilsen
Holl
Rosen
Brogman

Timothy should be in over the other guys.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Here are the locks IMO for the Marlies lineup on D, ignoring making the Leafs and stuff.

Dermott
Neilsen
Holl
Rosen
Brogman

Timothy should be in over the other guys.

Agreed and I see 1 of Dermott or the Swedes making the team so even more room for Timmy

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Unless we have a slew of injuries, I see no chance he's on the team at any point this year. He isn't ready, it's that simple from what I've seen. Dermott, well...

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed and I see 1 of Dermott or the Swedes making the team so even more room for Timmy

Could potentially be 2 defenseman needed if they bury Marchenko (I would he's a plug)

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Marincin Carrick

Fill in the gaps for #7D and #8D
Although it's not ideal to have young guys getting press boxed consistently

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think if Liljegren really, really stands out in that summer U20 tournament, they may send him to the Marlies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Man, so this kid's Sam Gagner appears to be David Rundblad. People who compare them probably haven't watched either.

Where he ends up will be dictated by camp and what Rogle's intentions are with him when we discuss sending him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad