Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This kid is going to be a project. Offensively, his skill is good enough for the NHL but he's atrocious on the back end

You might be watching TJ Brennan than. Lilly is okay defensively. He just needs refining overall and get stronger.
Attrocious isnt correct

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We have a season to get ready for, I think he gets one more at most. And that's fine.

You do realize they wont be playing their close to opening game lineup til like the last couple games of pre season? Lilly likely gets 2-3 more games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You do realize they wont be playing their close to opening game lineup til like the last couple games of pre season? Lilly likely gets 2-3 more games.

Obviously :shakehead , but they also are trying to figure out who gets the 6 and 7 spots on D...why in the world would they waste time with a kid who isn't close to cracking? Name me the last time they did that? I like the kid, love the pick, but he ain't knocking on the door here. First camp too.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Obviously :shakehead , but they also are trying to figure out who gets the 6 and 7 spots on D...why in the world would they waste time with a kid who isn't close to cracking? Name me the last time they did that? I like the kid, love the pick, but he ain't knocking on the door here. First camp too.

Its not like Kadri was knocking on the door either in his first game yet he played a few games.

Yeah so why bring any prospects to training camp that wont make the team? Maybe its more than just about guys making the team? Its about getting some experience as well.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
What is this forum's evaluation of Liljegren yesterday? Was he a factor? Just saw that he saved a goal in the game in six...will he make the team or sent to the marlies?

Posting here because the other Liljegren thread was closed and no part two was made...there should be a Liljegren thread that doesn't say training camp lol

Thought he looked real good ... but Dermott looked better. Travis is a bit more poised out there, making good plays, and a bit more ready for the show.

Liljegren I would guess plays with the Marlies for a bit. No use sending him to Sweden ... he is AHL ready.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'd think he gets at least a couple regular season games unless he bombs his next couple appearances

Why would you think that?

This is his first time in North America. If anything, they'll get him rolling top pairing minutes with the Marlies to start the year.

horner

May 22, 2007

Experience

Getting used to north American ice
I could name 4 or 5 defenseman that don't have a shot at a roster spot and worst than liljegren.

For his first NHL game I thought he was grt.

And personally I want to see more of this kid.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Both game rosters were literally half full of guys who aren't close to cracking. Two forward lines and two D pairings were prospects or AHL vets.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This kid is going to be a project. Offensively, his skill is good enough for the NHL but he's atrocious on the back end

That's a pretty sensationalistic post. He is average on the back end, just not a shut down guy. I doubt he plays this year beyond a possible 9 game stint, but next year I would expect him up. His offensive talent is too much to bury.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

1w6r7n.jpg

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012

I dont think it's unfair to comment that his defensive game isn't that good as of yet. He looked really awkward quite a few times over the few games he played this month. He also has a boy-body still. Needs to build considerable strength before he can reliably defend against NHL regulars.

He still has all the potential in the world, but those who think he looked good defensively so far need to check their blue/white shades. A year with the Marlies will hopefully help with rounding him out.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
A full year in the AHL will do wonders for him. Not ready for the NHL yet IMO, which is nothing to be worried about. He's an 18 year old defenseman. Seems like us fans have been spoiled the past while with players entering the NHL at 18, and as we've seen lots of times it has been a mistake.

Let him adapt to the NA ice in the AHL, and have another crack at it next year.

I hate to go off topic on Lily's post but I continue to be impressed with Justin Holl, and I still think he has the ability to play on this team on the 3rd pairing. Big kid who seems to skate well.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Both game rosters were literally half full of guys who aren't close to cracking. Two forward lines and two D pairings were prospects or AHL vets.

I guess you will be in for a big surprise when they make cuts :shakehead:shakehead. Come on people.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I dont think it's unfair to comment that his defensive game isn't that good as of yet. He looked really awkward quite a few times over the few games he played this month. He also has a boy-body still. Needs to build considerable strength before he can reliably defend against NHL regulars.

He still has all the potential in the world, but those who think he looked good defensively so far need to check their blue/white shades. A year with the Marlies will hopefully help with rounding him out.

If you really "want to be fair", maybe should wait until he plays a few competitive games first? SO far between him being drafted and now he played 5 exhibition games with irregular linemates. I am not saying he is great or he is trash, but Jesus, let the kid breathe.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

This is how I see the hierarchy of D-men right now...

Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner/Hainsey - Those 4 are locked in.

Carrick/Marincin/Dermott/Rosen/Borgman - Those 5 are fighting for 3-4 spots

Liljegren - Basically #10 right now on the depth chart

Valiev/Holl/LoVerde - AHL guys who will be cut before Liljegren

It's not out of the realm of possibility that you only see Rielly, Gardiner and Hainsey once, maybe twice, each in the next 4 games, before they suit up for the final 2. So, I wouldn't be surprised for the D to look like this for the next 4 games

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Carrick

Marincin - Carrick
Borgman - Rosen
Dermott - Liljegren

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Carrick
Borgman - Liljegren

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rosen
Borgman - Liljegren

Depending on how often Babs wants to see Carrick and/or Marincin, that leaves up to 3 more games for Timmy to play before being sent to AHL camp. Personally, I think it'll be 2 more then Marlie camp for him, but I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility that the young(er) guys get more of the playing time before the final 2 games of the pre-season, which is when the full roster usually gets brought out.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Far from atrocious..
He's not at all bad defensively even. Not sure what you're watching.

hes 18 ....and was drafted 17 th ,he needs at least 2 years ,be thankfull we have 2 more world juniors with at least 1 leaf player dominating :yo::yo:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
This is how I see the hierarchy of D-men right now...

Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner/Hainsey - Those 4 are locked in.

Carrick/Marincin/Dermott/Rosen/Borgman - Those 5 are fighting for 3-4 spots

Liljegren - Basically #10 right now on the depth chart

Valiev/Holl/LoVerde - AHL guys who will be cut before Liljegren

It's not out of the realm of possibility that you only see Rielly, Gardiner and Hainsey once, maybe twice, each in the next 4 games, before they suit up for the final 2. So, I wouldn't be surprised for the D to look like this for the next 4 games

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Carrick

Marincin - Carrick
Borgman - Rosen
Dermott - Liljegren

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Carrick
Borgman - Liljegren

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rosen
Borgman - Liljegren

Depending on how often Babs wants to see Carrick and/or Marincin, that leaves up to 3 more games for Timmy to play before being sent to AHL camp. Personally, I think it'll be 2 more then Marlie camp for him, but I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility that the young(er) guys get more of the playing time before the final 2 games of the pre-season, which is when the full roster usually gets brought out.

You left off Nielsen who is probably in that group with Valiev, along with Palliotta.
I thought Valiev looked decent the other night. His skating was very noticeable.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Not sure why there's such a rush to have this kid in North America anyway. The SEL is a great development league and I'd bet a lot of the top end Swedish stars spent at least one post-draft season in that league.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not sure why there's such a rush to have this kid in North America anyway. The SEL is a great development league and I'd bet a lot of the top end Swedish stars spent at least one post-draft season in that league.

His SEL team is a trainwreck... nothing against the SEL, just his team. Better served with the Marlies.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
You left off Nielsen who is probably in that group with Valiev, along with Palliotta.
I thought Valiev looked decent the other night. His skating was very noticeable.

Yeah, I may or may not have forgotten Nielsen existed for a minute :help: He'd probably get a game or 2, but if anything, it'd probably affect Borgman more than Liljegren. Paliotta I doubt gets any game action. He's probably Orlando bound as it is, so it's unlikely Babcock will give him game action while evaluating the guys fighting for spots 5-8 and still needing to dress veterans...

SHL is great, but Rogle is a joke right now. It's about putting Liljegren in the best situation to succeed, and right now it's likely on the Marlies where he gets consistent minutes and learns the NA game and Leafs system. Also, his contract doesn't burn any years if he plays in the AHL, so there's no real downside to keeping him on the Marlies if he's going to get minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad