Proposal: Timo Meier for Sean Monahan

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Straight up swap with no adds from either side. Monahan plays the more valuable position. Meier is a couple of years younger. Both have struggled this year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Even though Monahan is a center and Meier a wing (as mentioned), value is clearly favouring CGY. I don't think San Jose would consider it.
How so? Monahan has outproduced Meier every year of his career and is a center. He was drafted the same year as Mackinnon and Barkov and Mackinnon only has 4 more goals than Monahan does, while Barkov has 30 less. I'm not saying Monahan is as good as either of those guys obviously, the point is that while he isn't an elite center, he has put up numbers in that territory.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Even though Monahan is a center and Meier a wing (as mentioned), value is clearly favouring CGY. I don't think San Jose would consider it.

Is it really in Calgary's favor? Monahan is the only one who has been a PPG player in the NHL, has 5 seasons with 25+ goals (compared to only 1 for Meier), and the difference in cap hit is only $375k. Plus Meier's contract comes with a $10m QO built in, which kind of eliminates the benefit of him being a RFA at the end of it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Is it really in Calgary's favor? Monahan is the only one who has been a PPG player in the NHL, has 5 seasons with 25+ goals (compared to only 1 for Meier), and the difference in cap hit is only $375k. Plus Meier's contract comes with a $10m QO built in, which kind of eliminates the benefit of him being a RFA at the end of it.
I don't think it favors the Flames at all. It was more designed to change up the mix on our roster with an actual RW coming in. Monahan has scored 22-34 goals in every season he's played in and is a pretty good faceoff guy too.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't think it favors the Flames at all. It was more designed to change up the mix on our roster with an actual RW coming in. Monahan has scored 22-34 goals in every season he's played in and is a pretty good faceoff guy too.

I'd say the value in a vacuum favors San Jose, but I can also see why they like Meier and prefer to keep him. With Couture and Hertl already on the roster, they don't have a dire need to upgrade at C.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This doesn’t make much sense unless Couture or Hertl are on their way out for help elsewhere.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wouldn't be my preference to move Meier for Monahan but I'd do it if what I actually wanted wasn't available for him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bad for Calgary. We can't have both Meier and Tkachuk coming up on expiring RFA deals with ridiculous qualifying offers.
I'd be moving Tkachuk actually too. Keeping Gaudreau if he is willing to re-sign at 7M AAV or less for less than 6 years. You let Meier walk at the end of his deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How so? Monahan has outproduced Meier every year of his career and is a center. He was drafted the same year as Mackinnon and Barkov and Mackinnon only has 4 more goals than Monahan does, while Barkov has 30 less. I'm not saying Monahan is as good as either of those guys obviously, the point is that while he isn't an elite center, he has put up numbers in that territory.

Monahan has made a career of burying Gaudreau's set ups. The issue with Monahan, is that he is a good goal scorer, and doesn't really stand out at anything else. A lot of the time, he's just - there.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Monahan has made a career of burying Gaudreau's set ups. The issue with Monahan, is that he is a good goal scorer, and doesn't really stand out at anything else. A lot of the time, he's just - there.
I agree with your assessment of Monahan. I'd add in that he's a pretty good faceoff guy too which counts for something. We aren't talking about trading him for a player who stands out either though. Meier doesn't do a lot outside of providing 2nd line offense either and has regressed the past 2 years. They expire at the same time (Meier's QO is not something anyone should make) and make similar dollars. It's more of a change of scenery trade.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Easy no from the Sharks here. Monahan was available all offseason and there wasn’t a deal to be made for the Flames according to the Fan960 here in Calgary.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sharks are clear winners. CGY would be insane to make this deal. Meir is the better player, but the ugly QO - $10M after 2.5 years eliminates any chance to extend.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sharks are clear winners. CGY would be insane to make this deal. Meir is the better player, but the ugly QO - $10M after 2.5 years eliminates any chance to extend.

This is an under-rated point. Basically, Meier can become UFA if he wants to really soon because it would be quite surprising if he actually got qualified at 10M.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

Hi QO is a meaningless non-factor. Contract structure just makes him effectively UFA slightly earlier (except for a games played technicality, which he missed by a game or two, he would have been UFA anyway). No one will qualify Meier. If he gets to that point in teal, we will offer him a multi-year contract as if he were UFA and we had traded for his negotiating rights.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m intrigued, I guess. Don’t like that Monahan is a UFA when his deal expires and Timo is an RFA. I dunno. Very meh on both sides. I think there’s definitely a higher chance Meier rebounds than Monahan.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Meier >>> Monahan

I'm not even sure Monahan will be in the NHL in a few years with how much he's fallen off. He was never that good to begin with, but he did have a deceptive wrist shot from the mid slot, so he could finish plays.

Now he can't even do that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’d rather have Meier than Monahan, but that QO kills it. No way I’d do that if I’m Calgary, who has their own $9 million QO with Tkachuk coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad