OT: Time warner vs fios

Mr Atoz*

I'm doing construction on a new home and trying to have the cable installed during construction to eliminate visible wires. I have Cablevision now and as much as we all like to bash Cablevision the service is good and dependable for TV and internet.

The new location is Time Warner and not Cablevision and if there's any customers that hate their cable company more than Cablevision it's Time Warner's. I have one friend in the area and he said that they replaced TW with FIOS and they love it.

A couple of things that might lead me towards TW. Cablevision has a traffic/weather channel and an interactive traffic channel where you can see traffic maps in real time. That is important to me and if TW has similar I would like that. I'm assuming that FIOS has nothing like that.

And because TW is a wired cable company as opposed to FIOS, Cablevision can't play as many games with the MSG signal like they do with FIOS.

I know FIOS is cheaper but that's not the deciding factor for me. I know that the commercial/sports/movie channels are about the same. Does anyone know if either of them have Center Ice in HD? Cablevision doesn't and that's why I stopped getting it.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'm doing construction on a new home and trying to have the cable installed during construction to eliminate visible wires. I have Cablevision now and as much as we all like to bash Cablevision the service is good and dependable for TV and internet.

The new location is Time Warner and not Cablevision and if there's any customers that hate their cable company more than Cablevision it's Time Warner's. I have one friend in the area and he said that they replaced TW with FIOS and they love it.

A couple of things that might lead me towards TW. Cablevision has a traffic/weather channel and an interactive traffic channel where you can see traffic maps in real time. That is important to me and if TW has similar I would like that. I'm assuming that FIOS has nothing like that.

And because TW is a wired cable company as opposed to FIOS, Cablevision can't play as many games with the MSG signal like they do with FIOS.

I know FIOS is cheaper but that's not the deciding factor for me. I know that the commercial/sports/movie channels are about the same. Does anyone know if either of them have Center Ice in HD? Cablevision doesn't and that's why I stopped getting it.

I switched from TW to FiOS a year ago and never looked back. The internet speeds destroy TW as well. Only real negative for me is for some unknown reason FiOS boxes don't support picture in picture. Otherwise it's no contest.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was finally able to get Fios in the Spring. Had it for 3 weeks and went back to Time Warner. After a week, my service froze and they had to send someone. Took a week to get an appointment. Tech said the wire the first tech installed was real flimsy and claimed he installed a stronger, more durable wire. A week later, it went out again. When I called, they said they couldn't get anyone here for 6 days. I told them if they didn't have someone here by the end of the night, I was canceling. They didn't and the next day I called Time Warner. They got here that evening to re-install and I returned my Fios equipment.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Not quite the same situation, but in December I switched from Comcast to FIOS and it was entirely due to the Rangers. 8 games were scheduled for MSG2 this season; two this week.

On Comcast, MSG2 was an overflow channel (I live in Putnam County, NY) broadcast in SD. Games would move from channel to channel, playing havoc with DVRing the games.

On FIOS, MSG2 is on its own dedicated HD channel.

Picture quality, internet speed, and price are about the same, but so far I'm satisfied and can watch MSG2 in HD.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not quite the same situation, but in December I switched from Comcast to FIOS and it was entirely due to the Rangers. 8 games were scheduled for MSG2 this season; two this week.

On Comcast, MSG2 was an overflow channel (I live in Putnam County, NY) broadcast in SD. Games would move from channel to channel, playing havoc with DVRing the games.

On FIOS, MSG2 is on its own dedicated HD channel.

Picture quality, internet speed, and price are about the same, but so far I'm satisfied and can watch MSG2 in HD.

It is its own channel on Time warner now, too. MSG2 and MSG2+ are both in HD.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
As for Center Ice, I do not believe it is fully in HD. I don't get it, so not sure and since I dont ge it, it doesnt appear on my guide. IIRC, during the free preview, they usually had 2 HD channels for Center Ice.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Love fios but here are two negatives (which are related to the rangers/hockey):

MSG2+ is not in HD
The fios app for tablets/phones offers far fewer live channels (eg no msg)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
There is really no debate. If you can get FiOS in your area you are making a mistake going with any other cable provider.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Fios bro. I love it compared to time warner and the internet is way better than TWC. Only bad part is no New York 1 :(

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
My household switched from CV to FIOS and FIOS is a much better service/product. Can't comment on TW but I can't imagine you being disappointed with FIOS in any regard.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
My aunt and uncle couldn't wait for Fios any longer (Understandable since I've had Fios for close to two years now and they live in the same neighborhood as I), so they finally decided to get a triple play package from Time Warner.

First, they only gave them a double play package without the phone. Computers were slow at Time Warner's end and they couldn't get the recording prompt where you either speak or press something to confirm switching phone providers. They were lead to believe the order would be put on hold, but they went with it.

Second, they finally got to ordering the triple play package and were informed that they would be paying, tax included, $170, with a package that consisted of 1 year free of DVR, HBO, Showtime for only a few bucks, and all sports channels. What they got instead was a bill that surpassed $240. Somehow, Time Warner was charging them each service (Internet, TV, Phone) separately.

Finally, they called and told them they would cancel everything if they didn't get what they originally were promised. So, Time Warner gave them the appropriate credit..but they took out both Showtime and HBO and replaced them with only Starz, and the only sports channels they have are MSG, SNY, YES.

I feel for them. I've got all premium channels, most sports channels, internet speeds that dwarfs theirs; all for a cheaper price than what TWC promised them.

The only thing I would say TWC has over Fios is that they have more HD channels and they have channels that will automatically switch to HD instead of the standard version.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I am not surprised with those who love Fios. For the most part, I have only heard good things and I was waiting patiently to get it. As soon as my building was wired for it, and I was bugging my co-op board to get it done, I wanted it installed. However, a week on and a week off was just not going to work for me.

KreiMeARiver*

Time Warner is by far the worst of all the cable companies around here....with Cablevision being a very close second. They are all TERRIBLE.

DirecTV and Fios are the best, by far.

Mr Atoz*

Time Warner is by far the worst of all the cable companies around here....with Cablevision being a very close second. They are all TERRIBLE.

DirecTV and Fios are the best, by far.

As much as I hate Cablevision for ruining the Rangers, Cablevision service is actually very good. It is expensive but almost never goes out. Most people decide by which is cheaper.

Unfortunately when you ask specific questions such as in my original post, you rarely get the answers to the questions you are looking for. Thanks to all who tried.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Had TWC since 1986.... The day that Fios came to Northeast Queens we signed up. Had nothing but problems with twc slow Internet speeds and the tv constantly freezing.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad